Post Thanks / Like

First time using sealant!

I have been a detailer for around 2 years now, but just recently decided to experiment with some sealant on my personal black jetta. I was wondering if there was any special trick to applying it, I know to spread it thin, but like I said this is my first time using sealant so I was wondering if there is anything else I should be prepared for. I am first going to wash the car and use some cleaner wax by hand and buff out any little scratches on the car(it scares the xxxx out of me using a machine buffer/ any thing abrasive on a black car, especially mine!) and then wash the car again, then apply the sealant. I will be using chemical guys m-seal. Any input is appreciated, I`m looking forward to seeing my baby shine!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time using sealant!

Spread really thin, like 1/2oz. for the whole car. Don`t allow the car to get wet for 12 hours. I have no experience with the Chemical Guys product so I cannot give any specific tips.

welcome to AF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jetta2011 View Post
    I have been a detailer for around 2 years now, but just recently decided to experiment with some sealant on my personal black jetta. I was wondering if there was any special trick to applying it, I know to spread it thin, but like I said this is my first time using sealant so I was wondering if there is anything else I should be prepared for. I am first going to wash the car and use some cleaner wax by hand and buff out any little scratches on the car(it scares the xxxx out of me using a machine buffer/ any thing abrasive on a black car, especially mine!) and then wash the car again, then apply the sealant. I will be using chemical guys m-seal. Any input is appreciated, I`m looking forward to seeing my baby shine!
    my first time will be soon also. doing the black light and V07 combo on mine. read it does well on white.

heres to us doing a good job

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t use a cleaner wax before you apply the sealant. The sealant can`t bond to wax. Wash, clay and if you need to correct, use a polish. IPA wipe down then apply the sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to AF. there are a lot of sealant choices available, so don`t be afraid to try out different ones. my personal favorite is bfwd, extremely easy to apply and remove, with an outstanding finish. also, don`t be afraid to learn to use a machine polisher. with the advent of da/orbital polishers, it is very safe for your paint and you are not going to damage anything. you will never get the results by hand, that a properly machined finish will give and with less effort, especially with black paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like different waxes apply differently, different sealants apply differently... Some sealants, like BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal, can be wiped on thinly and never are buffed off, while other sealants, like Wet Diamond are allowed to haze and wiped off.

However, not using a wax first is general advice. Most sealants will not bond to a waxed surface, like wall paint won`t adhere to grease.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Where are you located?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

While I would not recommend you starting using a rotary polisher; I would highly suggest that you invest in a good orbital polisher such as a Porter Cable 7424. Don`t be afraid of using a good orbital polisher. It is very user friendly and it will produce better results far faster anything that you can do by hand. I have a jet black car and have found that i typically will put more light scratching and marring when trying to correct by hand vs correcting by machine. I understand your fears as I had the same ones many years ago when I first got into the business. There is a learning curve associated but you can speed that process up dramatically by talking to and reading post from many of the outstanding professionals that are located on this forum. These guys live this stuff day in and day out and enjoy sharing their knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

I only detail my own cars and using a DA is easy peasy. Liquid sealants I`ve used go on just like a wax does, either by hand or with the DA. The Da is alot less work. Or as Todd stated, you can go with a WOWA sealant like BF Crystal Seal (I love this stuff).

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    While I would not recommend you starting using a rotary polisher; I would highly suggest that you invest in a good orbital polisher such as a Porter Cable 7424. Don`t be afraid of using a good orbital polisher. It is very user friendly and it will produce better results far faster anything that you can do by hand. I have a jet black car and have found that i typically will put more light scratching and marring when trying to correct by hand vs correcting by machine. I understand your fears as I had the same ones many years ago when I first got into the business. There is a learning curve associated but you can speed that process up dramatically by talking to and reading post from many of the outstanding professionals that are located on this forum. These guys live this stuff day in and day out and enjoy sharing their knowledge.
    I am living proof that Organ Donation Saves lives.
    3-25-11

Post Thanks / Like

Jetta 2011-Welcome to Autopia!!

I have a Passat and my wife`s car is a black Golf and I can tell you two things for sure:
    1. You are not going to be able to remove swirls from VW paint by hand without killing yourself--it is rock hard.
    2. It would be almost impossible to damage your paint with a Dual Action polisher again because it is rock hard.

Just remember it`s the polishing that really brings out the shine more so than what sealant or wax you put on the paint.

The Griots Garage polisher is a great choice for the weekend detailer--has all the power you`ll need without worrying about it stopping rotation on curved panels with pressure and it has a lifetime warranty. Equiped with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" flat pads and the right products there isn`t much it can`t handle. If your car only has light swirls a suggestion would be orange flat pads and Optimum Hyper Polish which is very easy to use, beginner friendly, no dust and has a little more cut than some polishes which works well on the VW paint.

If you don`t want to make the step to machine polishing you might try putting a glaze on your car which will fill the swirls then top it with a sealant like PowerLock, then you can add a wax of your choice.

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replys, I may try using some sort of machine buffer in the future then, you guys gave me a little confidence like I said I`ve been detailing all of our shops details independently for around 2 yrs but the shop I work for only does hand waxes, so machine buffing is something I`ve never tried and always been worried about, and all my personal cars have been black so I`ve been extra worried lol but I may give it a try. My sealants in the mail now so I`ll be doing some work here soon and try to share some pictures on here of the result!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jetta2011 View Post
    Thanks for all the replys, I may try using some sort of machine buffer in the future then, you guys gave me a little confidence like I said I`ve been detailing all of our shops details independently for around 2 yrs but the shop I work for only does hand waxes, so machine buffing is something I`ve never tried and always been worried about, and all my personal cars have been black so I`ve been extra worried lol but I may give it a try. My sealants in the mail now so I`ll be doing some work here soon and try to share some pictures on here of the result!
    Machine`s like the Porter Cable/Griot`s/Meguiars G110v2 are super easy to use and provide a huge margin of safety against damaging them.

Thread Information