Post Thanks / Like

COnvertable top care

I have been washing the top to a convertable (fabric) with car wash soap and it has been beading well since new.

Lately the beading is diminished. I purchased the Mr. Rag Top cleaning/Protection kit and would love a tutorial on how to use it.

What I think I know
    -Clean top with cleaner and BHB rinse well.
    -Let top dry 100% before applying the protectant (I have the aerosol version)
    -Let protectant dry 100% before allowing it to get wet or opening top
    -Anything else?

Anyone have a video?

How important is it to keep the protection spray off the paint/glass?

Should I use the whole can on convetable the top? It is a small top.

Thanks as always.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: COnvertable top care

I use the Raggtop products exclusively on hundreds of convertible tops out here in the NW.
    They absolutely work the best for me.
    You have the correct process --
    Wet the top, wet the vehicle
    Spray the Cleaner all over the top and sides of the top.
    Use a soft brush to work the solution into the fabric. The nylon brush from Tuff Shine is an excellent brush for this..
    Rinse completely, this may take awhile, but take the time to do it right.
    At this point, I like to use my Mytee HP60 Spyder Extractor, to further rinse and extract as much moisture, lint, etc., out of the entire top and then let it dry where nothing will fall on it.
    Up here, unless you have a sunny day, the drying process can take several hours to overnight..
    Spray the Conditioner on the top and sides, insuring it is all covered.
    Let it dry and inspect.
    If you put too much on, it is ok to take a microfiber (because you dont want to introduce lint into the top) and gently wiped down the entire top.
    You can spray a 2nd coat and go through the process again and now you will be good to go!!
    It is pretty impossible to not get the spray conditioner on the car, and it just needs to be wiped off. I always wait to clean all the glass after the top work is done and it always cleans up easily.
    You will never use a whole can on a top unless its an 18-wheeler cloth covered top that you see out there..
    1 can of conditioner will last you a long time, especially if the top is small like you said.
    Imagine you are painting a light, even coat on the top and that is how I do this very successfully.
    The top will bead water like crazy now, and it will also be much "richer" looking, or darker by a little bit but not color changed in any way.
    The Haartz company has been making the material for convertible tops for years and I have never found anything better.

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

There are tons of vids on uTube on this subject using RT..that said you`ve got the best product for cleaning and protection IMO...What I like to do after you`ve washed the top and it`s dry...I like to use my Shop Vac with a brush attachment, this lifts any debris in the material. Gets the material super clean...then spray on the protection product.

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I have been washing the top to a convertable (fabric) with car wash soap and it has been beading well since new.

Lately the beading is diminished. I purchased the Mr. Rag Top cleaning/Protection kit and would love a tutorial on how to use it.

What I think I know
    -Clean top with cleaner and BHB rinse well.
    -Let top dry 100% before applying the protectant (I have the aerosol version)
    -Let protectant dry 100% before allowing it to get wet or opening top
    -Anything else?

Anyone have a video?

How important is it to keep the protection spray off the paint/glass?

Should I use the whole can on convetable the top? It is a small top.

Thanks as always.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice and detailed steps.

I will let you know how I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I use the Raggtop products exclusively on hundreds of convertible tops out here in the NW.
    They absolutely work the best for me.
    You have the correct process --
    Wet the top, wet the vehicle
    Spray the Cleaner all over the top and sides of the top.
    Use a soft brush to work the solution into the fabric. The nylon brush from Tuff Shine is an excellent brush for this..
    Rinse completely, this may take awhile, but take the time to do it right.
    At this point, I like to use my Mytee HP60 Spyder Extractor, to further rinse and extract as much moisture, lint, etc., out of the entire top and then let it dry where nothing will fall on it.
    Up here, unless you have a sunny day, the drying process can take several hours to overnight..
    Spray the Conditioner on the top and sides, insuring it is all covered.
    Let it dry and inspect.
    If you put too much on, it is ok to take a microfiber (because you dont want to introduce lint into the top) and gently wiped down the entire top.
    You can spray a 2nd coat and go through the process again and now you will be good to go!!
    It is pretty impossible to not get the spray conditioner on the car, and it just needs to be wiped off. I always wait to clean all the glass after the top work is done and it always cleans up easily.
    You will never use a whole can on a top unless its an 18-wheeler cloth covered top that you see out there..
    1 can of conditioner will last you a long time, especially if the top is small like you said.
    Imagine you are painting a light, even coat on the top and that is how I do this very successfully.
    The top will bead water like crazy now, and it will also be much "richer" looking, or darker by a little bit but not color changed in any way.
    The Haartz company has been making the material for convertible tops for years and I have never found anything better.

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    There are tons of vids on uTube on this subject using RT..that said you`ve got the best product for cleaning and protection IMO...What I like to do after you`ve washed the top and it`s dry...I like to use my Shop Vac with a brush attachment, this lifts any debris in the material. Gets the material super clean...then spray on the protection product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t like Rag Top for the simple reason it`s an aerosol and gets all over for me. I like to "soak" the edges with protectant.

I use 303 with a paint brush. Here is a video of several month old 303 beading:

http://youtu.be/yMvueb06Peg

Post Thanks / Like

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN0pxKVfC90]Cleaning & Protecting Convertible Tops with RaggTopp - YouTube[/ame]
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Thread Information