Post Thanks / Like

Should I Opti Coat / Guard my New Car ?

I just leased a 2013 bmw 750 LI x that isnt a daily driver, not garaged, but covered with a noah car cover. Im debating whether or not I should Opti coat the car because since its a lease. I want the car to maintain that showroom shine.

I hate to throw money away if i really dont have to.

Also, are Cars that opti coated easier to wash?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I Opti Coat / Guard my New Car ?

Congrats on a very nice Bimmer !

What color is it?

If you decide to Opti-Coat it, are you going to want to have all the paint defects removed before the coating? If not, they are always going to show, and you cannot get to them without removing the Opti-Coat and then starting all over again.
    To have a good Detailer remove all the paint defects and Opti-Coat a vehicle can cost several hundred dollars.

If you are not driving it much anyway, perhaps just wait and see how the paint looks at Lease Turn In time and maybe you can have a good Detailer go over the paint to bring it back to new or better than new, and just turn the car in?

I dont think that BMW is going to care much how the paint looks at Lease Turn In, unless it is severely scratched, etc.. Review the Lease Agreement, they do give you so much leeway even in how many dings it has.

The answer is Yes - a vehicle that has been Opti-Coated/Guarded, will definitely be easier to wash, because stuff doesn`t stick to to the coating as easily, even when the paint has been waxed or sealed, etc..

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t if you`re just leasing it. Like stokdgs said, it`s going to cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars to get it done, yes it will make the car a lot more slicker and easier to wash, but that doesn`t mean you will never have problems with it in the future. It will still get dirty, it will still get scratched, if you are on a budget your best bet would be to just keep it cleaned and waxed. It would be a lot of money to dish out on a car that isn`t even yours.
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, thanks for the speedy reply.

Thanks!, Its an Alpine White, im not too concerned about the paint condition when i turn it in. Im more concerned about maintaining a slick appearance for the years that I do own it. Yes, im aware of the process, that it needs to be polished before opticoat is applied.

Maybe I should skip the Opticoat, do another sealant/wax, and proper washing, and maybe within the next 1-1.5 years do an exterior detail. I have a 3 Year lease.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d recommend sticking to a two bucket wash, clay, polish and sealant. Keep it looking good with a good spray detailer and/or spray sealant such as blackfire wet diamond polymer spray. A paint correction and opti coat seems like overkill to me for a lease.

Post Thanks / Like

if you can do the detail & application yourself, why not. otherwise, it`s a lease and there are plenty of new, easy to use products to maintain the finish. +1 on the blackfire products.

Post Thanks / Like

As it is a lease, I would say no...

But, if you can polish out the vehicle yourself and apply OC2.0 yourself then I can`t see why not. Then you would only be investing in your time and products. But it is all personal preference and what you want.

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Having leased before, it never kept me from adding rims, tint, or a sound system. Considering that it will save you time washing and protect from the environmental impacts that normal products won`t, I say do it if its in your budget. Another thing is that waxing every 3 months would be at least $50 so over three years you`d pay $600 for inferior protection.

Post Thanks / Like

guys ive decided against the detail and the opti coat for now. I think i just want to do a spray sealant like the black fire mentioned above. can you guys recommend another spray wax / qd for that ? after a wash i like to spray something on it. trying to keep it real simple here. This car hardly gets driven, it was purchased 2 months ago and been sitting for the past month.

I have a 3 year lease and i think in about 1.5-2 years, i`ll get an exterior detail and that should be good enough without breaking the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

Ima gonna chime in here........................ Not about what to use, but what NOT to use.....

Get rid of the car cover !!!!!!

It will cause more rids, scratches and marring.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information