Post Thanks / Like

Opti Seal on Bare Aluminum?

Hello Folks,
    Have any tried such on bare aluminum? I have this product and was thinking of trying this on both highly polished aluminum on custom made audio equipment parts, as well as using it on some more beaten, oxidized sheeting that sits outside 24/7.

Can I expect mucho black coming off the aluminum? I would suspect it on the oxidized sheeting, and it probably should be pre-cleaned beforehand.

Any simple products that could/should be used on the aluminum prior to application?

I would assume any pre-polishing on high quality parts should then be final wiped with something like Alcohol for better bonding?

Here`s an example of what parts I`m thinking of coating with such a product.
    The Arm Base, and Platter Clamp are custom machined Alu Parts.
    Thanks all, MarkDSCF0441.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti Seal on Bare Aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    Hello Folks,
    Have any tried such on bare aluminum? I have this product and was thinking of trying this on both highly polished aluminum on custom made audio equipment parts, as well as using it on some more beaten, oxidized sheeting that sits outside 24/7.

Can I expect mucho black coming off the aluminum? I would suspect it on the oxidized sheeting, and it probably should be pre-cleaned beforehand.

Any simple products that could/should be used on the aluminum prior to application?

I would assume any pre-polishing on high quality parts should then be final wiped with something like Alcohol for better bonding?

Here`s an example of what parts I`m thinking of coating with such a product.
    The Arm Base, and Platter Clamp are custom machined Alu Parts.
    Thanks all, MarkDSCF0441.JPG
    I`m not 100% sure how it will work on uncoated aluminum, but it is worth a shot. Yes you would want to remove any oxidation with a polish then wipe the surface with alcohol several times.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m with Todd on this, I use it but on a clear coat rim but never on a bare one.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Well Gents, I figure I`m going to go for broke on this one, and give it a try.

Not so much on pristine aluminum that resides in the house, but on beat to hell aluminum that sits outside 365 days a year.

I predict mucho black on the applicator, and I recently ran into a garbage bag full of sponge applicators, so no loss there.

My take, before I even lay Opti Seal to metal? It`s gotta be much better than nothing! LOL

I`ll keep you fine folks updated, as I`m going to try this goony application tomorrow. Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used Ultima Paint Guard (similar product) on bare aluminum. It helps protect it from the environment but there won`t be any black. It`s not a polish but just a sealant.

For it to turn black there would have to some sort of abrasive or cleaner in it to remove oxidation from the metal.

Post Thanks / Like

DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN TO CLEAN IT

for some reason simple green can pit/mark aliminum......

imho use something like pb pro polish, then seal
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information