Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your preferred method of applying wax

Wow, I`ve never heard of using a bare hand for wax. My hands have kalises on them and I would think that that would marr the paint. I prefer the safety and consistancecy of a small foam applicator.
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess im just lucky and have smooth girly hands so I can get away with it Every time ive done it by hand I wash my hands really good with some strong dish soap to remove all the oils in my hands, I think dirty hands would marr your paint pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

When I did my winter prep and put on my LSP I used the GG random orbital for the 1st and 2nd coats and of course used a pad for the tighter areas, a week or 2 after those coat I did it by hand. The reason I did it by hand as I was thinking that if I used the machine I actually may take some of the previous 2 coats off. I just wanted to make sure I had a really good coat on because I need it to last 4 to 5 months though the cold winters here. I have never applied by bare hand.

Dean.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    I`m waiting for a wax that will just jump out of the jar when one open`s it and apply itself to the paint........
    Are you on some new meds?

Post Thanks / Like

What I gathered from this thread...

I guess it depends on the vehicle and the type of wax...I`ve heard that for some high end waxes using your bare hands is the preferred application method.
    As mentioned by TacoHerder for this "apply with your bare hands" method you need " smooth girly hands". Do any of us use wax that costs over $1000?

So for most (like me) a foam, MF or cotton applicator works fine for hand application. I will and have used a DA with soft pads to apply paste wax on paint.
    Now it also depends on the wax. With some paste I found it better and faster to apply by hand and with others I have better/faster results when using a DA

Post Thanks / Like

I use my Porter Cable to apply with soft pad. Black, (take pad off buffer at end and get to spots did not reach) I use a soft cotten towel to remove once cured. Once done go over with detial spary.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking on the internet trying to figure out what higher end wax I would like to try out. I came across this New Zymol Ital Glaze 8oz Italian Car Soft Paint Wax for All Paint Colors | eBay

The directions actually state to use this product by rubbing it in your hand. Guess they just want to sound more high end by saying apply it by hand, IDK... I would like to try some good zymbol products out though. The price doesnt seem that steep on this listing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TacoHerder View Post
    I was looking on the internet trying to figure out what higher end wax I would like to try out...The directions actually state to use this product by rubbing it in your hand...I would like to try some good Zymol products out though. The price doesn`t seem that steep on this listing.
    Try this one and let us know..."Put a very small amout of glaze in the palm of your hand"...ZYMOL ROYALE GLAZE

Post Thanks / Like

I apply all non clear sealants and wax with my Porter Cable 7424 polisher. This allows me to ensure complete coverage, work it into the finish, spread it thin and not waste product. Applying them in this manor also shortens drying time and buffs super easy....

BobbyG

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use sealants now so the "by hand" is out...a MF applicator is the way for me...BTW, it`s what both sealant mfr`s gave me with the product, so I guess they believe it`s the way to go too...
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I only use sealants now so the "by hand" is out...a MF applicator is the way for me...BTW, it`s what both sealant mfr`s gave me with the product, so I guess they believe it`s the way to go too...
    ^ AGREED
    Most sealants or waxes I apply by hand with a cotton or microfiber pad.
    Some products I apply with a DA. It depends on the product & my mood.

Post Thanks / Like

Liquid sealants get applied by either DA or rotary. (lowest speed, blue pad.)
    I like this as the coverage is perfect and the least amount of product is used for easy removal.

Hard waxes, it all depends. Most get applied by a Lake Country red foam applicator. Love these as they are so soft and last for many applications.

However, there are a couple waxes I do apply by hand. I do so as it is recommended by the manufacturer. I also use wheel waxes by hand as its easy to get in all the little areas of intricate wheels.
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I`m not sure I can afford that tub of zymbol. Actually I know I can`t, isn`t it well over $1k? I just fail to see how it would be worth buying wax that expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TacoHerder View Post
    Lol I`m not sure I can afford that tub of zymbol. Actually I know I can`t, isn`t it well over $1k? I just fail to see how it would be worth buying wax that expensive.
    Click on the picture to find out.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never applied wax with my bare hands before and dont think I ever will.It doesnt appeal(messy) to me besides my hands are too rough .

Remember what ever is on your skin will absorb into your body so hopefully what ever your using is really pure and doesnt contain any harmful chemicles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information