Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Good lsp for NY/NJ winters

Ok, now that I just sold my Audi and Subaru and have 2 new cars I that I will need some protection from the upcoming winter weather. Unfortunately I don`t think I will have access to a heated garage to do proper prep and apply a coating. But I am hoping that I can get a weather cooperative day to do some type of quick, easy to apply lsp that can hopefully last a few months. Suggestions?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good lsp for NY/NJ winters

One of the Collinite’s (476, 845, 915). Made in upstate NY and do pretty well against salt. Depending on how cold it will be, a paste wax may be the best option so 476 or 915 are both pastes.
    Likes Dan, ernman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite or DG105.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Collinite or DG105.
    Thanks All.

DG105? Not sure what that is? I`ve used Collinite years ago and was impressed.

So, I`m guessing the "silicone" quick sprays are not the best option.

Post Thanks / Like

Good lsp for NY/NJ winters

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Thanks All.

DG105? Not sure what that is? I`ve used Collinite years ago and was impressed.

So, I`m guessing the "silicone" quick sprays are not the best option.
    DG 105 is Duragloss 105, it’s a chemical (non-abrasive I think) paint cleaner/sealant AIO. If the surface of the cars could use a deep clean then it’s a great choice, lasts a long time.

By “silicone” sprays I think you mean SiO2 or ‘silica’ quick sprays? Some of these could probably get you through winter but they work best when having a clean, prepped surface (doesn’t always have to be surgically clean though). I also have experienced decreased performance when applied in colder temperatures. I also think these work best when you can build them up with multiple uses in the first month or so but I don’t think you plan on LSPing again once deep winter starts.

Post Thanks / Like

DG105 is a really mild AIO with no functional abrasives. It does a great job of removing any road film or tar that might prevent it from bonding well. Its super easy to use by hand or machine.

Another option as long as you are washing once a month is using a good spray wax like Optimum Car Wax or even Turtle Wax ICE Spray wax or Turtle Wax Shine N Seal. Any of those last 1-2 months outdoors no problem, in some cases up to 3 before they start to fade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    DG 105 is Duragloss 105, it’s a chemical (non-abrasive I think) paint cleaner/sealant AIO. If the surface of the cars could use a deep clean then it’s a great choice, lasts a long time.

By “silicone” sprays I think you mean SiO2 or ‘silica’ quick sprays? Some of these could probably get you through winter but they work best when having a clean, prepped surface (doesn’t always have to be surgically clean though). I also have experienced decreased performance when applied in colder temperatures. I also think these work best when you can build them up with multiple uses in the first month or so but I don’t think you plan on LSPing again once deep winter starts.
    Thank you. Yes, those sprays. Correct, I just want to get some quick protection for the upcoming winter before a full correction/detail in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Regulars here know what I`d recommend: FK1000P, which outperforms my previously used Collinites by a wide margin and even outlasts many layers of KSG (and without the need to do so much layering). You can use the FK over top of AIOs too (which is what I usually do).
    Likes Tpr1634, Ron Ketcham, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Regulars here know what I`d recommend: FK1000P, which outperforms my previously used Collinites by a wide margin and even outlasts many layers of KSG (and without the need to do so much layering). You can use the FK over top of AIOs too (which is what I usually do).
    I’ll second that I use to use 845 which is a fine product only tough to use in colder temperatures, FK is what I use here in Jersey

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again, guys. Good ideas for my wife`s new/leased Crosstrek!

I decided to get PPF and a sealant for my Mazda from Phil @Detailer`s Domain. Quality work for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang SIO2 Sealant
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in NJ, I used Sonax Polymer Netshield with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer as a maintenance step. It was the best combo I found for the NE Winters.
    Likes The Guz, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to coating my vehicles, I used FK1000p as my winter protection here in CT for the last 9 years. Great protection and shine that lasted till at least into late April.

Post Thanks / Like

Polish Angel Viking spritz if you don’t mind dropping a little coin. Griots Ceramic 3-1 if you do. If your looking to get buy for the winter these will be just fine.

You’ll be able to use either as a topper once your car is coated.

Also Dr beasley’s plasma coat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    When I lived in NJ, I used Sonax Polymer Netshield with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer as a maintenance step. It was the best combo I found for the NE Winters.
    The PNS is always one of the few LSPs that some people find equal to, or even better than, the FK1000P. And yes, a few people here have also had Collinites (mainly 476S IIRC) outlast the FK too. Not *my* experiences, but those people are 100% credible so, well...YMMV. But if your (conventional) LSP doesn`t last all winter regardless of what you put it through, I`d keep trying to find one that does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information