Post Thanks / Like

Deep finish OR a Bright glassy finish

I have a white 2010 Ford F-150 and put down a couple of layers of Chemical Guys V-7 over clean paint and came away with a very bright glass like finish.
    I thought that I could have a more durable base coat of sealant and then top with V_7 and still have the same shine....I stripped the truck and did just that using Wolfgang spray sealant as the base coat. Surprise!!! Now instead of a bright shinny finish I have a clean beautiful finish but is not as bright and shinny as before. How do you know before hand what kind of finish a product will leave behind ? I would describe the difference in look as between a linen white room paint and a bright white room paint. I didn`t know a sealant or a different sealant would produce a different look? What I have now looks good but I prefer a shinny look....at least on my white truck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deep finish OR a Bright glassy finish

All products are formulated with different ingredients. Some finish up glossier than others while others protect longer. Both products are top shelf so it really depends on the look that pleases you the most....

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

nothing like a shiny truck.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

gloss for me!
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Some sealants give a slightlly more carnauba look, like WGSS. IMO, the only way to know beforehand is to research the product and experiment. If you want to experiment, try Blacklight and then HV7....or perhaps BFPS or BFCS. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I used a carnauba on white, once..about 150 details ago.

For a glossy, glassy, reflectively bright finish sealants on white seem to work best in my opinion.
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like

The WG line is known for its Nuba like glow in their sealants, as well as the Deep wet BF look that Blackfire produces.

If you are looking for that bright and shiny look I would suggest Werkstat Acrylic Jett, or even Ultima PGP. The Ultima will give a candy coating look. But the Acrylic Jett will give you that blinding gloss after 2-3 coats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Street Dreams View Post
    For a glossy, glassy, reflectively bright finish sealants on white seem to work best in my opinion.
    this
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Just about every wax & sealant on the market has a different "look". IMHO on "plain" ole white go for the Bright Glassy Finish

New Years eve I did a "plain" ole white pick up truck. Iron-X, Speedy Prep towel, swirl removal, step 2 polish then 3M Ultrafina.
    On the "plain" ole white I wanted to kick-it-up-a-notch in shine but sadly I was unable to tell a difference with the Ultrafina???

On black and dark paint I like to achieve warmth, depth and all the other overused terms. For me on white paint it`s simple. Make it Shiny!
    It was 65 degrees, cloudy & zero % chance of rain. The sun would peek through every now & then. The pics don`t really show the shine.

NOTE:
    When the truck arrived the first thing I noticed was tire pieces sprayed along both rear quarters. Yes, he had recently been to the track.
    Palm Beach International Speedway new PB 10.73 at 122 on low boost...the truck produces 650 hp low boost and 1050 hp on high boost

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a photo of my detail just recently completed within the last 30 days.Photo was taken around 10 AM. The rear door or door on the left has 1 coat of Acrylic Prime and 4 coats of Acrylic Werkstat Trigger. The front door or one on the right has 2 coats of BFWD All Finish Paint Protection.The bedside has nothing applied.

This truck has had a 3 step paint correction starting with M105. M205 and then finishing with Mezernah PO85rd.

Basically,very little almost imperceptible difference between either door. Note the bedside looks just like the doors. So basically I added protection by applying the products but no change in gloss with the products on white. I have noticed a definite darkening and improvement with BFWD on black however.

I ended up choosing BFWD to complete the rest of the truck because there was a ever so slight bit of more reflection. In addition it is a very slick finish which is important to me when it comes to drying a vehicle because the water beads are blown off easily with Master Blaster. I used the Werkstat Products all summer and they are easy to apply but just not as slick to the touch as BFWD.

I tried the Werkstat product due to seeing all kinds of shiney cars on European detailing sites. Note photography on web sites can be a bit misleading. In addition, note most white cars will be photographed early or late in the day when maximum gloss is present. In bright sun they wash out no matter what. Maybe, in all fairness those cars probably had different brands of paint for their clear coat. Some clears appear shinier than others.

One other experience I have had with white paint was a year ago the first time I detailed this white truck. I used BFWD as a base coat of protection then topped with Colinite 845. The Colinite wax did dampen down the shine that was present. I know it is a very protective product and many have had great luck with it. I just prefer to not dampen down what shine is present especially with white.

So..... it appears to me a newby, that when members comment that shine comes from the prep work (decontaminating paint, cleaning paint, compounding and polishing) they are 100% correct atleast from my limited experience with white paint.

Am interested in others comments as well. Always hoping for the magic forumula to ultimate shine!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information