Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So why is NuFinish considered a inferior product?

I have a bottle of NuFinish here somewhere from when I FIRST started washing my car (about 2 years before I really started DETAILING)... I may have to give that a go (on the gfs car of course). Why is it considered such an inferior product? (apart from the fact it`s not once a year)

I do remember it staining my trim lol, but as far as beading went, it actually beaded pretty decently. I mean certainly beaded well for a 8 dollar sealant lol

So why would you say a product like this is inferior to the sealants we all use and love (and cost 5 times more)?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So why is NuFinish considered a inferior product?

I personally don`t think it is necessarily an inferior product. I simply think there are better options out there.

To me NuFinish is an AIO / Cleaner Sealant. It will clean up the paint while leaving protection. For most of us we already have a paint cleaner or clay & polish. So an AIO isn`t really what we want.

There is a wide variety of AIO products. Some have better cleaning ability while others offer better protection or looks. In the end it is a matter of using what fits your needs and desires.

There are many OTC products that a great and people use them regularly. ClayMagic Blue, Meg`e Ultimate waxes, Megs product in general, Mothers, etc... I mayself was still using Meg`s NXT2.0 even last summer because I like the look it leaves behind even though the durability is lacking.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s not inferior, it`s the claims the company makes about it, that seem hard to sallow IMO.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    It`s not inferior, it`s the claims the company makes about it, that seem hard to sallow IMO.
    very true - but I think its great stuff for non detailing people - I recommend it every time for the guy who wants to "wax" every 4-6 months - but it needs two coats 12 hours apart....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just know it smells like laquer thinner and I dont like that lol. So never used it just didn`t like the smell and said never mind

Post Thanks / Like

I have used it before and actually liked it because it went and it came off real easy and if I remember correctly it lasted about 4 to 6 months depending on how many times the car was washed. For the average person like myself it is a great product. I don`t think it is an inferior product. But now that I bought a new Camaro myself last spring and got bit by the detail bug then a person always looks for something better. I want to make sure I am using the best I can and what I can afford. Right now I am using a whopping $18 can of wax, Finish Kare FK1000P, and that is actually the most I have spent on wax. It is a good wax and only plan on using it for the winter months because I read it had good durability and it does look nice. Before I get back into the car show season next spring the plan I have now is to switch Blackfire products because of how they make the paint look, especially on a black car like mine. Sure they are more expensive but I figure that if I plan on showing my ride off I want it to look great not just average. So I have come to the conclusion that if I want a good product that has a good review I will have to step up to the plate and spend 5 times the amount that old bottle of Nu-Finish cost.

Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried it. I have a can of of somewhere. If it is actually an AIO and fairly durable, it might be good for wheels and door jambs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    I have used it before and actually liked it because it went and it came off real easy and if I remember correctly it lasted about 4 to 6 months depending on how many times the car was washed. For the average person like myself it is a great product. I don`t think it is an inferior product. But now that I bought a new Camaro myself last spring and got bit by the detail bug then a person always looks for something better. I want to make sure I am using the best I can and what I can afford. Right now I am using a whopping $18 can of wax, Finish Kare FK1000P, and that is actually the most I have spent on wax. It is a good wax and only plan on using it for the winter months because I read it had good durability and it does look nice. Before I get back into the car show season next spring the plan I have now is to switch Blackfire products because of how they make the paint look, especially on a black car like mine. Sure they are more expensive but I figure that if I plan on showing my ride off I want it to look great not just average. So I have come to the conclusion that if I want a good product that has a good review I will have to step up to the plate and spend 5 times the amount that old bottle of Nu-Finish cost.

Get some Collinite for the winter! 13 bucks right now from Autopia, and that stuff is amazing!

BFWD sealant is obviously much better, but it`s also 40 dollars...

Post Thanks / Like

Alright guys, you`ve convinced me to give it a try again... on my gfs trunk.

And here`s the best part, I`m going to do a comparison video to BFWD sealant

It`s going to get interesting... stay tuned

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t see it as an inferior product. I see it as the perfect product for folks that simply want a shiny car with decent durability involving minimal work. I`ve recommended it to many that wanted just that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Alright guys, you`ve convinced me to give it a try again... on my gfs trunk.

And here`s the best part, I`m going to do a comparison video to BFWD sealant

It`s going to get interesting... stay tuned
    This is a GREAT idea... would be interesting to see how some of the OTC stuff stands up to the boutique products.
    2008 DSG Ford F150 S-Crew w/ GT500 style 20`s (sold)
    2008 Mini Cooper (Justa Mini) Chili Red and white
    2003 MG Mustang Cobra convertible, Flamed, Dropped, Pullied and Tuned

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: So why is NuFinish considered a inferior product?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    I just know it smells like laquer thinner and I dont like that lol. So never used it just didn`t like the smell and said never mind
    I think the smell is strong because it has a lot of solvent in it according to the MSDS. IIRC, it is like 25% Stoddard solvent.

That is probably where a lot of the cleaning ability comes from, too. I tried it a long time ago and didn`t like the dusting and static.

Randy

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

That all being said, the wipe on walk away sealants are clearly superior for me. Easier with just as good of protection, not expensive and no white stuff in cracks anywhere as it dries glossy....WOWA products are a HUGE game changer ....for the weekend novice....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I don`t see it as an inferior product. I see it as the perfect product for folks that simply want a shiny car with decent durability involving minimal work. I`ve recommended it to many that wanted just that.

Exactly!

Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Get some Collinite for the winter! 13 bucks right now from Autopia, and that stuff is amazing!

BFWD sealant is obviously much better, but it`s also 40 dollars...
    I am assuming you mean the Collinite 845? I got the impression a person still needed a good base wax or sealant for that stuff. I was going to buy the Collinite 915 but since it seemed to compare to the FK1000P why spend twice as much.

BFWD maybe the better choice but I need durability and I thought it only lasted about 2 to 3 months where FK or Collinite would last over 4 months. I needed something to make it through the tough Northern MN weather and 2 to 3 months of protection just doesn`t cut it.

Thanks,
    Dean.
    Dean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information