Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    So please explain..what is your process before applying OC/OS? I always do a Stage 4 detail then use the Nanoskin Shield as a LSP.
    I like to get the finish as close to flawless as I can safely. Since OC/OG are permanent coatings you are really locking in the finish that you have so it needs to look good. OC/OG require a CLEAN surface to allow it to bond so I have to ensure I remove all of the polishing oils and any fillers that might be left on the paint. I have been using CarPro Eraser with good results. I usually clean the panel 2-3 times to make sure I haven`t missed a spot. When applying the coating you need to make sure you don`t have any high spots on the panel. If you allow the high spots to cure you will need to polish them out. If you see them before they cure you can wipe them with a microfiber to level them out. I rather spend extra time inspecting the panel while I`m coating than having to level the spots later by polishing. Hopefully this is what you were asking about and I was able to answer.

Sorry to the OP for getting the thread off course.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Opti-Coat? Frustrated!

My $.02:

I will just agree with the many posts here that OC is not a magic force field. Cost to apply it is often high, not because of the product itself, but the prep work that goes into it.

One thing I haven`t noticed anyone mention is that this is a black vehicle. Black is not a color, but a part time job. Even OC isn`t going to keep it looking perfect. My personal preference is to not use OC on a black vehicle for the reasons that caused the OP to post in the first place. So much work to make it perfect, then not wanting to undo that work to take care of small imperfections. I always make sure a customer with a black vehicle wanting OC is fully aware of what to expect. My most recent one was a new black mini-van. I made the exception because the customer did not expect perfection, wanted the durability and ease of maintenance, and already has a good understanding of how to safely maintain it.

I think it is very important that detailers make sure their customers fully understand the pros and cons of OC/OG beforehand.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Opti-Coat? Frustrated!

Yes most issues with OC from DIY installs are either #1 it doesn`t react hydrophobic ally like other mainstream sealants and #2 OC doesn`t wow them like other coatings.

Wait 6 months, then see the dirt shedding factor and overall appearance of the vehicle. Wait another year then you`ll wonder what other products on the market mimic its performance. Yes it costs more money, however you make up for it with the less need to do AIO polishes/corrections in that time period.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information