Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Opti-Coat? Frustrated!

Quote Originally Posted by evoking View Post
    I had initially did pressure washing. Have switched to microfiber mitt at home. So to polish the Opti-Coat do I need to have a detailer use power or should I just roll up the sleeves and use a mild polish by hand?
    Remember that Opti-Coat creates a surface that is even more scratch (polish) resistant than paint. You will likely need to machine polish it.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got a general Opti-coat question: What if your vehicle is coated and it requires some minor body repair, how does one remove it prior to painting?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I had initially did pressure washing. Have switched to microfiber mitt at home. So to polish the Opti-Coat do I need to have a detailer use power or should I just roll up the sleeves and use a mild polish by hand?
    You might want to take a look at the Carpro Merino Wool wash mitt--very soft, long fibers and the mesh hand pocket allows you to keep pressure off the paint when using the mitt. You also have to concern yourself with wash "technique" as well as the wash media. Do a search for wash techniques or 2 bucket method.

I second the recommendation to contact Scott in Arlington, TX Scott`s Mobile Auto Detailing :: Home He is a highly regarded detailer, specializes in Optimum products and has been using in Opti Guard for at least 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssorange View Post
    I`ve got a general Opti-coat question: What if your vehicle is coated and it requires some minor body repair, how does one remove it prior to painting?

Thanks!

If there is body work that needs to be done they will have to sand and prep the surface. This will remove the OC. OC can actually be removed by compounding so the sanding and prep work by a body shop should be more than enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea who applied your Opti Coat, so it could have been anyone. But, can I ask you a simple question: are you sure the coating is still there? Does it bead and sheet water?

If there was an issue with the coating application process and the coating is gone, that could be the problem.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To the OP, a great detailer in the Dallas area would be Nick`s Custom Detailing, call him and say I send you and he`ll will take care of your ride for you.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Peeps, so I had my detailer do a 2 step polish and Opti-coat on my new - yes new black XKR. That was 3 months ago. I now can already see the fine spiderweb scratches. Do the average person the car looks great. But when you`ve paid $1k and saw flawless paint under halogen lights etc and now you see fine scratches in what was supposed to eliminate the need for polishing AND to see them so soon it`s very frustrating. I`ve only used microfiber towels etc.

This got me wondering if I bought into a gimmick and will still need to polish and wax the car every 3 months afterall!

1) I was told that the fine scratches are actually in the Opti-coat and not the paint yet. So my Opti-coat investment won`t just be gone with a light polish. Is this true?

2) How should I go about getting back the glass finish I started with? Hand polish with something like Klasse?
    Welcome..Optic Coat or Optic Gard is not the fix all sealant that people acts like it is.

You really paid $1k for the Optic Coat? I only charge my clients sealant application of the NanoSkin Shield $150. Will you pay for my vacation also?
    You really paid $1000 for Optic Coat?..

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the prep and process required for the application, a grand certainly isn`t out of the ballpark.
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH.Detailing View Post
    Depending on the prep and process required for the application, a grand certainly isn`t out of the ballpark.
    Im not talking about the prep process before applying the Opt-Coat...Im asking if the Opti-Coat alone was $1000 on top of that detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    Welcome..Optic Coat or Optic Gard is not the fix all sealant that people acts like it is.

You really paid $1k for the Optic Coat? I only charge my clients sealant application of the NanoSkin Shield $150. Will you pay for my vacation also?

We do not allow member bashing on AutopiaForums... Your questioning of the OP and what he is willing to pay could be written in a much more constructive fashion without the sarcastic overtone.

I regularly charge between 900-1200 for Opti-Coat and a 2 step polishing process, and I am well aware of detailers who charge more. You may be limited by your geographical location or your mindset, but the number the OP posted, in my opinion, is not extraordinary.

We value all opinions on this forum, but I would ask that you share them in a more constructive manner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    No offense but OC and OG are in a completely different league than Nanoskin. OC/OG require more cleaning and prep work before being applied. It`s a lot more labor intensive than a regular sealant. What he paid is not uncommon or unreasonable for our area or the work involved

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    We do not allow member bashing on AutopiaForums... Your questioning of the OP and what he is willing to pay could be written in a much more constructive fashion without the sarcastic overtone.

I regularly charge between 900-1200 for Opti-Coat and a 2 step polishing process, and I am well aware of detailers who charge more. You may be limited by your geographical location or your mindset, but the number the OP posted, in my opinion, is not extraordinary.

We value all opinions on this forum, but I would ask that you share them in a more constructive manner. [/COLOR]
    It was not meant to come across as that...I was just surpised that all. I need to start charging more for my sealant plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    No offense but OC and OG are in a completely different league than Nanoskin. OC/OG require more cleaning and prep work before being applied. It`s a lot more labor intensive than a regular sealant. What he paid is not uncommon or unreasonable for our area or the work involved
    So please explain..what is your process before applying OC/OS? I always do a Stage 4 detail then use the Nanoskin Shield as a LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats a Stage 4 detail?
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    To the OP, a great detailer in the Dallas area would be Nick`s Custom Detailing, call him and say I send you and he`ll will take care of your ride for you.
    I 2nd what Angelo has said. Nick Chapman is the best in that area hands down.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information