Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Which Meguirs Wax to Use

Hi everyone, I want to try a new Meguirs Wax, but I`m wondering which is the best to use and something maybe that is cheaper than 2.0. I currently use NXT GEN Wax which I love and will still use if thats the best choice, but am wondering if any of the Detailer Line Waxes are just as good, any opinions. Thanks

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Meguirs Wax to Use

Give Poorboy`s Natty`s Waxes a shot. Their price and shine is the bang for the buck IMO.

BTW welcome to Autopiaforums.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s says that Ultimate Wax is the most advanced of the consumer line. You may consider replacing NXT with their Ultimate Wax. I haven`t had a chance to try UW yet. However, I have personally had good luck with M20 Polymer Sealant from the Mirror Glaze line. While not a cleaner wax, it does have some cleaning properties to it. I found that it cleans the paint well and leaves a warm shine and good protection, at least as good if not better than any OTC wax/sealant. I have talked to a few detailers who keep M20 in their bag for one step applications.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate is good. I replaced the NXT 2.0 with it. If applied thin, it almost evaporates on its own, so easy to buff. Apply it too heavy, and you will have streaks, since it is a synthetic. Can look really good, though.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

i`ve used megs hi-tech yellow wax #26 and for an inexpensive wax, it`s pretty decent and holds up well. don`t apply too thick and it buffs up nicely. i haven`t tried megs new ultimate wax yet but have seen on vehicles and it looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing with any wax is that you are going to get different opinions based on perception. There is no right or wrong answer.

My personal favorite Meguiar`s wax remains #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. I LOVE the liquid look that it produces on dark/solid colors such as reds and blacks (it looks nice on all other colors as well).

I used Ultimate Wax several times and I like it but the application/removal can be a little tricky in Florida`s humidity. The water beadings (hydrophobic as Meguiar`s calls it) is really intense, and when used with their supporting "Ultimate" line of products (the spraywax and quick detailer) really amps up the shine.

I have NXT and NXT 2.0, which to me, look identical to Ultimate Wax, and are a little easier to apply/remove, but don`t have the durability.

Meguiar`s M21 is the professional version of NXT, although in my experience, it is even easier to apply/remove, and obviously offers a great value.

Meguiar`s D301 Finishing Wax is one of the easiest waxes I have ever used to apply and remove (it seriously wipes off without any streaks with just a light pass of a microfiber towel). It also has some polishing ability and creates a very sharp reflection.

Gold Class is another fine wax, and the newest version is easy on and off. It offers that very nice carnauba "glow" in a consumer version, although, it is my opinion that Meguiar`s #26 creates a more intense version of the same look.

Meguiar`s is one of the oldest and most respected names in car care, and for good reason. I am sure I am missing a huge selection of their waxes, but it is 5 am, I should be sleeping, and I am shooting this off the top of my head. Ultimately (pun intended) you cannot go wrong with any of their selection, although, for me, it would #26 liquid.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your input. This wax is going to be for my personal car which will have the paint already cleaned and polished. I want something g similar to the durability of the NXT 2.0 because that wax holds up forever, just looking for something cheaper like it because I plan to wax my car often throughout the summer to maintain the detail. Currently use M105 (if needed) then m205, following it up with NXT 2.0. Im starting to lean towards M26 or M21, which should I use tho one is a sealant and the other a true wax? I Didn`t know that NXT 2.0 is a sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by civicsi2009 View Post
    Thanks all for your input. This wax is going to be for my personal car which will have the paint already cleaned and polished. I want something g similar to the durability of the NXT 2.0 because that wax holds up forever, just looking for something cheaper like it because I plan to wax my car often throughout the summer to maintain the detail. Currently use M105 (if needed) then m205, following it up with NXT 2.0. Im starting to lean towards M26 or M21, which should I use tho one is a sealant and the other a true wax? I Didn`t know that NXT 2.0 is a sealant.
    How long was NXT 2.0 lasting for you? I never got more than 1-2 months out of it.

Are you dead set on sticking with Meg`s waxes? There are quite a few other options out there that in my opinion & experience have better looks, slickness, and durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Which Meguirs Wax to Use

Meguiar`s NXT 2.0 was described as a hybrid wax. Its formulation was intended to have the protective qualities of a sealant and also to carry the warmth shine of a wax. More than a decade later it is still one of the favorites products from the Meguiar`s line up. It is a very good product, also you can go wrong with either M21 or M26. Very easy on and off application with great results, just find the favorite that works good for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Think I`m going to give the 21 and 26 a try, not that I have anything against other companies just like how all megs is easy off. Should I use both a wax and sealant, if so what order should I apply them.....Sealant than Wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by civicsi2009 View Post
    Think I`m going to give the 21 and 26 a try, not that I have anything against other companies just like how all megs is easy off. Should I use both a wax and sealant, if so what order should I apply them.....Sealant than Wax?
    I used to use Meg`s almost exclusively. You can use #21 and #26, but you want to apply the pure sealant first (#21) and give it at least 12 hours to cure.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not a pro, but I have always believed that prep/polish is more important than what wax you use. Sure some waxes may be better than others, but if you stay with good brand names, it`s hard to go wrong with most of them.

I used Meg`s Ultimate Polish, which is also a glaze, and then used Armor All Butter Smooth wax on top, and achieved an incredible wet looking shine. I only paid $2 for the wax at walmart, (I`m not a big spender) but it goes to show that what was done prior to waxing is really what it`s all about.

But as someone mentioned, there is no right or wrong, just personal preference. I personally would like to try Meg`s NXT next, and see how it works.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

They certainly are not "all the same" but I`ve learned that wax sealant is just a cover for what you"`ve done before putting it on....my polishes are far more important that the wax I select.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I used to use Meg`s almost exclusively. You can use #21 and #26, but you want to apply the pure sealant first (#21) and give it at least 12 hours to cure.
    if you really wanna stick with megs - I`d do what todd suggested

#21 followed by #26 (after the sealant has been given time to cure)
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Three.... I`m in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information