Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Darkfluid, have you read David`s article and the other threads on claying? If you`re still hearing/feeling abrasion in the clay, then you`re not finished. Go slow and easy. The results will be worth it! :up

Post Thanks / Like
    darkfluid, what brand of clay are you using? I had the same problem with one of the ClayMagic formulas. It scratched the heck out of my 911.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t read any his previous claying articles, but I have read several posts around autopia and others. Some say (including the instructions with the clay) to keep goin till you hear the gritty noise stop, fold the clay only when its dirty looking. I read another that said if you hear grit stop and fold the claybar. I hear grit like crazy, but the bar doesn`t show any nastiness on it any more (brown gunk and what not with the first few strokes.)

I am also folding the bar often. And picking out large grit.

I am using mother`s clay bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, this may sound foolish. I`m new to detailing and have been reading through the different posts. But I havn`t seen anythin mentioned on what brand of water based lubricant you guys have been using.

Can you guys enlighten me?

Post Thanks / Like
    David, In your claying article on 3-27-03, you wrote:

Finally, wipe the clay residue off with a soft terry cloth towel, and buff to a nice luster.

I`m not sure I understand you here. First - I rinse the area off that was just clayed. Second - what exactly are you buffing? There should be nothing left after rinsing except clean paint.

Tell me if I got it wrong. Until now, my practice has been to rinse each area with fresh water (claying with car wash mixture as lubricant), and then after the whole car has been clayed, wash the car again, to completely clean the car of remaining clay particulate.

Post Thanks / Like
    mac,

If you`re washing as you go, you will be okay. Most clat bars leave some amount of residue (some more than others) that must be buffed away. If you`re washing the car again after claying, you won`t find any residue. Most people clay a panel at a time and dry off as they go.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sorry if this is too simple, but how does claying interact with clearcoats?

I keep hearing people talk about clay lifting contaminants out of paint, but the clearcoat is between the two. How do things like clay and polishes act on the paint and stuff in the paint without either a) being blocked by the clearcoat or b) dissolving the clearcoat in order to get to the paint?
    2002 Subaru WRX Wagon

World Rally Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep hearing people talk about clay lifting contaminants out of paint, but the clearcoat is between the two. How do things like clay and polishes act on the paint and stuff in the paint without either a) being blocked by the clearcoat or b) dissolving the clearcoat in order to get to the paint?
    Keeping things simple, clearcoat is paint - its just clear so that it acts as a protective layer for the decorative coloured paint below it.
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Midnight Sun Batch Difference

So what`s the difference between BF`s batches... #23 is their original released hybrid, but i just realized there`s actually batch #24 & #25, any difference between them? Kinda interested in getting batch #23....

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got batch 23. I like it a lot. As with all products, Blackfire evolved. I`m not totally sure what the difference is but the new stuff is designed to pair better with the current BF sealant. The combo is killer.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well mine is batch 25, can`t complain bout it but sure like to have #23 in my arsenal as well .. Lemme know if you want to part with yours...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information