Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I had received a few nice sized dents from some kids throwing rocks in a parking lot, and had the hood, fenders, roof, and pass. door painted (thanks to insurance!).

anyhow, the day after i picked it up, I noticed some overspray on a few other panels, and in the process of painting, my window regulator broke (vw, i love you!). the bodyshop let me know about the window regulator, finished the job, and i made an appointment to get the window regulator replaced. i`m not sure what would make someone do it, but whoever re-assembled my car used duct tape to hold the window up (on a freshly painted door!!!). Now, I had the window repaired last monday, but noticed that whoever worked on my window used SOMETHING abrasive to get the adhesive residue off the door. now I am left with the following items to repair:
    <ul class=`bbc`>[*]two areas on the top of the door which are SUPER dull and VERY scratched. by looking, i can`t tell whether they have any clearcoat on them at all. the area IS smooth, but very very dull.[*]re-wax entire car, seems like they stripped it all. Not sure why, they didn`t paint the whole thing.[*]first attempt at touch up, using DavidB`s instructions, more of fixing their mistakes...[/list]
    it`s unfortunate that I need to pick up the pieces from the bodyshop, but i`m not really too excited to have them even touch my car again. after they do their work on it tomorrow, i`ll update and (of course) ask for advice on handling the paint issues i`m sure they`ll be leaving me.

</vent>

Post Thanks / Like
    i Believe they do more harm than good, this is just my experiences and seeing some work done on my friends car`s. My favorite is when they advertise in the yellow pages in their ad`s how they can color match with 99% accuracy a bunch of BS.
    Fmr Nascar,Arca & USAC driver

96 Mitsu GST
    02 Vette Z06
    03 S2000

Post Thanks / Like
    actually they matched it really well. at first i was aprehensive about it, because my color blue isn`t a real easy color to match, according to a couple body shops. the nasty part is that beyond whatever the bodyshop does to clean up their mess tomorrow, i`m on my own. i know the bodyshop would blame me for having used something abrasive on the paint (which I didn`t do), and i know the vw dealership would blame me for putting duct tape to hold the window up (which I didn`t do).

catch 22, anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    well, an update:

i took the car in today for them to buff it out where they had scratched it up some and to remove the overspray and the end result is a car that looks how it should. gotta say it was pretty odd to see him bust out the rotary buffer, i had to walk away and not watch.

anyhow, i`m pleased with the end result, now i just need to get the rest of the car looking as nice as the newly painted areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    bumper repainted, I was pondering around the body shop for a few hours. There was one car that had a few panels touched up and was sitting outside for a few days. It was pretty dirty. The owner was on their way to pick the car up, so one of the workers went out and cleaned up the car by going over it with a wet towel and then drying it........

Post Thanks / Like
    :scared AAAAAA! :scared
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Chuckmotor [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>:scared AAAAAA! :scared [/b]</blockquote>
    no doubt!!! Although, i wouldn`t be a bit surprised if the same treatment was given to my poor car. It`s much more swirlmarked than previously. even the areas they painted are already swirlmarked and you can see where they buffed it. I`m not going to ask any more of them, i`ll just get myself a Porter Cable and clean it up as best I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Midnight Sun or Pete`s 53 ?

Mornin` all,

I`ve got an 07 black GTI. Currently have several coats of
    BFWD on it, with Danase Wet Glaze between coats. The paint has
    metallic in it.

I`m toying with the idea of topping the BFWD with a wax.
    Pretty much think I have it narrowed down to either Pete`s 53
    or Midnight Sun. Anyone out there have experience with both and
    can maybe give me an idea which way to go?

Thank you.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would try out both on the trunk area and see for myself, but if it was me the Midnight Sun will be going on.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think there would be a noticeable difference.
    Doing it BIG!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think BFWD and the Wet Glaze is a killer combo to start with, and since you have already layered both several times over I think you should skip the nuba because thats just a lot of stuff to layer IMO.
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Dreams View Post
    I think BFWD and the Wet Glaze is a killer combo to start with, and since you have already layered both several times over I think you should skip the nuba because thats just a lot of stuff to layer IMO.
    :iagree:............
    Doing it BIG!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you happy with the look? If so, leave it, sounds like you have some great protection going on. If you want to experiment, like Angelo said, try both in a spot where you can see the results first hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tested some Pete53`s about 2 years ago. Wasn`t impressed in anything it did. I like Midnight Sun (not as much as BFWD) and prefer it as a stand alone product rather than over BFWD.
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a black metalic car that I have used BFWD topped with Midnight Sun, and I love the results. The flakes really pop with this combo.

Here is a pic for you.
    http://
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information