Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIM_NYC View Post
    Hello TID forum.

I`ve been snooping around for quite some time. Observing. Watching. Waiting. Its nice to see a bunch of people who know what they are talking about that are even more obsessed about car care than I am... Kudos to all.

Ive got a few questions that i couldnt find alot of answers on through searching, so I figured why not ask...?

But first, a little about me, my car and what I have been using...

I`ve had an `09 Audi A5 (meteor grey) for the past 2 years, and i keep her off the street in a public lot. (decent sized private garages for rent are hard to find aound by me, and I, like most NY`ers live in an appt.) I have only 1 place that i trust to take my car to for washing (by hand of course)that actually gets the job done. I have also been using the Zaino line for most all my needs (AIO, ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z8, Z-CS) since i got her. I also apply everything by hand, since i dont have easy access to an electrical outlet where i park for a porter cable and the like...

Damned NY summers are usually really humid... come to think of it... its fairly humid even in winter as well. I adjusted to the learning curve of the Zaino soon after getting it, but even at best with ZFX, i find that i have to wait for a good 3-4 hours for it to properly dry enough to buff off. While i do like the look & durability, I`m kinda getting tired of its finicky nature (being so temp / humidity sensitive).

So... For more than 1 reason, I`ve been thinking for quite some time about revamping my arsenal... the main reason being that in the near future i will be upgrading to an S5 in deep sea blue... I`d like to start off the right way with a brand new factory finish. the 2nd reason being that I am tired of trying to convince myself that my car is getting shinier and better looking after umteen coats of Z5 & Z2...

SO... here is what I am thinking of, along with questions...

I`ve read enough reviews & seen enough pictures of BFWD that i have been sold on it and I`ll be ordering it very shortly. possibly right after i make this totally awesome intrductory post. (nice thread btw on buff`fest `09)

Is any of the zaino line compatible with BFWD? I`d rather not throw it away...

will they layer together?

Will Z6 or Z8 between coats of BFWD help / hinder curing / cross linking of either?

will Z-CS adhere to BFWD?

I`m thinking of using the Z-CS on the front grille, since its plastic & chrome... thoughts?

For the wheels, is there anything better than BFWD to seal them? (this may be a matter of opinion i guess...)

ONR... i`ve read the reviews and seen the vids etc... it interests me as I may actaully be able to use something like this on my own, given my lack of regular access to a hose. Does ONR have any compatibility issues with BFWD? or anything else for that matter?

I`ve seen its becoming popular to put a wax over a sealant, ala midnight sun over BFWD... since a layer of sealant wont adhere to wax, what can be done to take wax OFF of a car without taking the sealant off in the process... i.e. if i want to add another coat of BFWD when i put a coat of wax on a couple of weeks earlier?

I`m thinking of ordering some new higher end MF towels when i get the BFWD... any recommendations? i was thinking the megs yellow 1 or the big blue...

How about a cleaner / soap to clean them with after use?

any recommendations for a hand app pad? i usually use the cheapo foam or mf/sponge applicators...

Thats all i can think of right now...

Thanks in advance for reading this short / sweet introductory questionaire...
    Welcome to TID!

Wow, what a long post with lots of questions - I`ll give my two cents on a couple points. First is a comment - going to the dark blue car - it will look beautiful but it is a nightmare to keep up - VERY labor intensive (my wife has a moonlite blue car).

BFWD is a wonderful sealant and can hold its own without a topper. That said, topping with Zaino, Black Fire Midnight Sun, Fusion or any number of quality waxes will soften the look, which is not necessarily a bad thing and sometimes desired - try it and see what you like. I change the "look" of my cars depending on my mood (note the changes are very subtle).

Always apply BFWD first, on the prepped apint, never over a wax. Wait 10 to 12 hours between coats of sealant or before topping with wax.

As for applying BFWD or a wax topper, I use the BLACKFIRE Ultimate Wax & Polish Applicator:

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...gewaxpoap.html

I cut it in half (easier to use, especially getting into the jar of wax) so one pad can do sealant and wax. Wash the pad out with alchohol or mineral spirits - the sealant will LAUGH at soaps!

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I forgot to add one important point...

Do one section at a time - apply BFWD or BFMS then buff off.

After buffing the BFWD, do NOT place the wax container on a MF cloth on the finish (especially the roof, hood or trunk) as there is a high probability it will SLIDE RIGHT OFF and break on the floor!

Don`t ask how I know.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

already placed my order...

once i get everything squared away and i start applying, ill post some pictures.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to TID SKIM_NYC, glad to more folks from NYC!:hurray:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (28.7 KB, 318 views)
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    So since I have my order on the way, I figured I`d run down the step by step on what i`m going to do once i get the new car... please feel free to let me know i`m thinking along the right lines and or provide commentary.

1 - dont let dealer do anything to the car. thorough inspection... if satisfactory, take delivery.

2 - car being brand new should be mostly clean... wash it anyway for peace of mind using ONR...

3 - after wash & dry... prep paint for sealant via IPA wipe down (50/50 i`ve read is most common)... dont want to bother with dawn...

4 - hit the paint with BFWD by hand.

5 - wait at least 8-12 hours, quick mist / wipe down with Z-6, apply 2nd coat of BFWD

6 - Take pictures & post.

7 - Enjoy.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to TID! :soldier:

I think we need to see some pics of that new bad boy once you pick it up. I love the S5`s! Taking picture
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    So since I have my order on the way, I figured I`d run down the step by step on what i`m going to do once i get the new car... please feel free to let me know i`m thinking along the right lines and or provide commentary.

1 - dont let dealer do anything to the car. thorough inspection... if satisfactory, take delivery.

2 - car being brand new should be mostly clean... wash it anyway for peace of mind using ONR...

3 - after wash & dry... prep paint for sealant via IPA wipe down (50/50 i`ve read is most common)... dont want to bother with dawn...

4 - hit the paint with BFWD by hand.

5 - wait at least 8-12 hours, quick mist / wipe down with Z-6, apply 2nd coat of BFWD

6 - Take pictures & post.

7 - Enjoy.

Thoughts?
    Looks like a good plan.

I would however, add a step and possibly two. After you do the IPA wipe down, I would clay the car, and then IPA again.

After doing this inspect the condition of the paint for swirls, RIDS, scratches, etc. If none exist, proceed to the BFWD. If there are concerns with the paint, you may need to polish them out, or maybe use a cleaner polish like Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish
    http://www.properautocare.com/blacglosenpo.html

Then do another IPA to check your work. If everything meets your satisfaction, proceed to the BFWD.

I am looking forward to seeing the pics.

Good luck.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    If my diobolical plan proceeds as i have designed, I should be taking delivery sometime early next week. Cant wait...

by that time, i should receive my package o goodies from PAC... which means realistically, i will be gently carressing the car with BFWD on halloween weekend... unless... by chance i happen to get sick before the end of that week... *cough*

Thanks for the reminder Barry, i know i have some fresh Zaino clay laying around that was waiting for a special occasion to use.

Speaking about polishing... this may be a little premature, but asking questions never hurts...

I admittedly dont have the equipment or products or the experience (although i hope to...someday) to perform a full blown factory orange peel removal / paint correction... Any idea on how much it would take to accomplish this? I dont think there would be an exact answer, as each individual case and car is different... but an order of magnitude on time / $$$ perhaps?

once again, thank you to all & good night!

Post Thanks / Like
    If my diobolical plan proceeds as i have designed, I should be taking delivery sometime early next week. Cant wait...

by that time, i should receive my package o goodies from PAC... which means realistically, i will be gently carressing the car with BFWD on halloween weekend... unless... by chance i happen to get sick before the end of that week... *cough*

Thanks for the reminder Barry, i know i have some fresh Zaino clay laying around that was waiting for a special occasion to use.

Speaking about polishing... this may be a little premature, but asking questions never hurts...

I admittedly dont have the equipment or products or the experience (although i hope to...someday) to perform a full blown factory orange peel removal / paint correction... Any idea on how much it would take to accomplish this? I dont think there would be an exact answer, as each individual case and car is different... but an order of magnitude on time / $$$ perhaps?

once again, thank you to all & good night!
    I would advise against removing orange peel from OEM paint. I know the A5/S5`s have some pretty significant orange peel in them (at least the ones I`ve seen) but they simply don`t have an adequate amount of clear for it do be done safely.

It`s not that it can`t be done, but you would run the risk of premature clear coat failure or even a strike through. It would also leave you with very little clear left for any future corrections that may be needed.

Based on some of my past jobs, a typical full wet sand job on a car takes me around 30-40hrs. Depending on the amount of sanding you should probably expect to pay a knowledgeable detailer up into the 4 figure range.

Hope this helps,
    Rasky
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SKIM_NYC;50107]I admittedly dont have the equipment or products or the experience (although i hope to...someday) to perform a full blown factory orange peel removal / paint correction... Any idea on how much it would take to accomplish this? I dont think there would be an exact answer, as each individual case and car is different... but an order of magnitude on time / $$$ perhaps?

This is almost impossible to answer, as you said, each case and car is different. Every car will require different procedures, which all take different amounts of time. Every manufacturer uses different types of paint. Some clear coats are very hard, and require more time to work, and some are very soft. If I am doing a full exterior detail which includes paint correction (compound and polish) on a normal sized car, it usually takes me somewhere between 6-9 hours. I charge by the hour, and let the customer know in advance what my hourly rate is, and how much time I think it will take. I also let them know that if it runs longer, I will call them to let them know, and get their approval.

Hope this helps.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gewb View Post
    Oh, I forgot to add one important point...

Do one section at a time - apply BFWD or BFMS then buff off.

After buffing the BFWD, do NOT place the wax container on a MF cloth on the finish (especially the roof, hood or trunk) as there is a high probability it will SLIDE RIGHT OFF and break on the floor!

Don`t ask how I know.

Regards,
    GEWB
    If possible(if no time issues) I leave BFWD on the finish overnight(especially if it is a second coat) then I have had much less streaking issues ime, hard to beat the look(jetness of color) if done this way for a sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    well i am in the process of posting some pics of the ol A5 shortly... stay tuned

Post Thanks / Like
    well that didnt work...

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks again for all the help gentlemen

here are the links to the threads with pics for both the ol metoer grey A5 and the new S5

http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=4883 <--- `09 metoer grey A5

http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=4891 <--- `11 Deep sea blue S5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information