Post Thanks / Like
    I´m using a blowgun when we remove decals, I´m satisfied with the results, the decal and the glue is removed (most of the time) but it is sooo time consuming. Do you guys know a better way (faster) to work?

I mean sometimes it can be a 5 hour work, just so frusturating.

I once tested a kind of water heatend machine that blowed steam on the decals but it didnt get hot enough so the glue stiched to the surface and that gave me a lot of other problems on that black car.

MB 560 AMG-90 BLACK...stupid I know

MarkusInSweden

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a saftey solvent, make sure the solvent does not contain the component xylene.

It has to list it on the label if in the product.

This is a clorinated and a carcenigenic solvent. It may damage paint if allowed to set on the paint.

Soak down the decal, wet the decal, rewet as necessary until you see the edges start to come loose.

Then use the heat gun and decal will come off easily.

The glue residue left can then be easily removed with the same solvent.

Don`t pick at it, just keep it soaked, may take 10 minutes, may take a half an hour, you need to stand there and watch it, do some other work on the vehicle.

Ketch

"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    I just removed a dealership sticker with a product called "Sticker Shock." I purchased it at Pep Boys. It`s an aerosol spray. I actually removed the sticker by peeling it off with my hand. I then used the "Sticker Shock" to remove the gummy glue residue. It worked quite well.

I don`t know whether "Sticker Shock" is powerful enough to remove manufacturer`s logos and the like (i.e. the Ford oval), but it worked very well on the dealership sticker.
    2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- Zaino

1999 MB C280 -- 1Z Glanz

Post Thanks / Like

Stained Textured Black Plastic

I was doing a winter Collinite 476 on a new 2011 Grand Cherokee and got some of the wax on the abundance of Textured black plastic around the doors and tire wells.

My first thought was to reach for the Wax Blaster. In the past this has not worked for me on other vehicles but decided since this was a brand new truck it might- ah ha guess what nada, zippo, nothing. :doh: it did Sh** to remove the white stained textured black trim.

Don`t know if it matters but in all fairness the wax blaster bottle I used is at least 5 years old. Maybe the stuff is past its expiration date?

My fault I know, I wanted to rush through it as this was a damn big vehicle and used my Flex Orbital to cut corners- I should have cut in on those spots with a three finger or round hand pad.

Anyone know how I can get this off before the customer see`s it? Have had this problem in the past from being careless and have not find a real good cure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and could save my reputation as a quality detailer.....:clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    Apply more product to infected area and wipe off before it dries. Problem solved. Glad I could help :Innocent:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzman View Post
    I was doing a winter Collinite 476 on a new 2011 Grand Cherokee and got some of the wax on the abundance of Textured black plastic around the doors and tire wells.

Anyone know how I can get this off before the customer see`s it? Have had this problem in the past from being careless and have not find a real good cure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and could save my reputation as a quality detailer.....:clap:
    [Edit: Flash has a good approach. If it doesn`t do the job completely, try this next.]

Nylon detailing brush / toothbrush dry brush first. Blow off / wipe off dust. Apply Meguiars Ultimate Protectant - not too thick - let dry two hours then go over GENTLY and LIGHTLY with a general purpose MF towel or Scotts Shop Towel (the blue heavy duty paper towel) to finalize a smooth finish.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Flash are you saying I should apply more 476s on the black textured plastic pieces that are stained and then wip off before it dries?

I will definately use my nylon detailing brush to help out with this if needed.

IMHO two things that make a car detail look really, really bad, stained black trim pieces and polish in small cracks, emblem holes, door seems etc...

Thanks- Hope it works.:Gift:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say. It may require 2 or 3 applications, but this will remove all of it. Just don`t let it dry :2 cents:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzman View Post
    Flash are you saying I should apply more 476s on the black textured plastic pieces that are stained and then wip off before it dries?

I will definately use my nylon detailing brush to help out with this if needed.

IMHO two things that make a car detail look really, really bad, stained black trim pieces and polish in small cracks, emblem holes, door seems etc...

Thanks- Hope it works.:Gift:
    I`m not Flash but yes, that is what he means. Only go over the areas that have the embedded wax and wipe off right away, as in five or ten seconds. "Hair of the dog that bit you" would be the reasoning behind this approach.

But the Megs UP really works well, too - just don`t glop it on, apply thin, work it in, let it dry about two hours then gently wipe to an even smooth finish.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    All good advise.
    I have heard of many people who have used this method with great success.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    All righty then- forget the Duragloss wax blaster type stuff.

I will try the said method.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have access to a steamer I have been sucessful that way as well. Hit the area with steam and wipe with a MF towel. The cheap MF are perfect for this job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice idea, Thanks.

I think me wife has one of those Scunci steamer things.

Thread Information