Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    Re: 845

It took years but I`m finally down the bottle halfway and the IW pours almost like water. I stuck a pop-up lid on it long ago.. my method of application has evolved over the years and I now dribble a dozen or so small dots around the hood in addition to priming the applicator pad. Once the hood is done the hand applicator or the machine pad has enough 845 on it I rarely have to add more than a drop or two for each surface. I usually do all the top surfaces then remove, one whole side, then remove, then the other side... lather, rinse repeat. Last up is bumpers, grill, door jams etc. Then the shiney black plastic surfaces followed by an immediate wipe-off. After 30+ years of using the stuff I think I`ve finally got the hang of it.

I`ve got no clue how long the stuff lasts, I know I`ve gone through an entiure winter without a touchup. I use DGAW on occasion to renew the shine and slickness so there`s no telling where the DGAW ends and the 845IW begins. Absolutely stunning on white!

TL

Hey TL,

You must be THEE most experienced 845 expert on the planet, so you must be the person to ask-- What materials should one avoid putting 845 on?
    I`m going to be cleaning (waterspots) and waxing my brother`s boat tomorrow, it`s mostly painted fiberglass, but there are various trim parts.

Hopefully I will get the trailer done also.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Talking It works on everything

Quote Originally Posted by avusMMM View Post
    Hey TL,

You must be THEE most experienced 845 expert on the planet, so you must be the person to ask-- What materials should one avoid putting 845 on?
    I`m going to be cleaning (waterspots) and waxing my brother`s boat tomorrow, it`s mostly painted fiberglass, but there are various trim parts.

Hopefully I will get the trailer done also.

Dan
    Not to jump someones play here, It works on anything you would use wax on. It looks good on chrome, painted surfaces, wheels as a sealer, the stuff is great...ancing Dot: :clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    Z5 followed by Z2 will easily make it through the winter in the midwest.

I have seen it bead up strong after 10 months and a harsh Iowa winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just put 3 layers of Zfx`d Z2Pro on my car yesterday which will be my winter wax.

We`ve had such an amazing weekend (high in the mid 70`s today) that I doubt I will see another day like this until spring, so if I can get 5 months out of it, for the Canadian winter, I will be thrilled.
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the 845 the other day finally and had a chance to wash and apply today and I`m pretty damn impressed at how easy it was to remove. It took me about an hour and a half via MF hand applicator, not bad. This of course is over BFWD, 2nd coat will go on after next wash. Thanks to everyone who recommended/helped me on this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
    Stay away from junk such as megs nxt 2.0? Why? Because it sucks in terms of durability. I
    I agree. Most Megs is junk and I have moved on. That said, I still use their #16 in the winter. It is not made anymore, but I still have a few cans of it, and it turns up for sale on the net now and then. I live in the north and drive into Canada. Talk about salt in the winter in both countries. I put the #16 on mid October and it still beads like crazy at the end of March. Beautiful stuff for black cars.
    Hey, it is mid October..... time for a winter wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IDGAS View Post
    I agree. Most Megs is junk and I have moved on. That said, I still use their #16 in the winter. It is not made anymore, but I still have a few cans of it, and it turns up for sale on the net now and then. I live in the north and drive into Canada. Talk about salt in the winter in both countries. I put the #16 on mid October and it still beads like crazy at the end of March. Beautiful stuff for black cars.
    Hey, it is mid October..... time for a winter wax.
    Even though BFWD is my favorite LSP (by a mile) I once did a wax test which included NXT 2.0 vs. a bunch of boutique products and it peformed better than most in many areas (including durability and certainly slickness). The only product which performed at par with it, was 845iw.

Everything else seemed pretty abysmal.

Having said that, what I don`t like about NXT 2.0 is that is stains trim and once you`ve used BFWD, everything else seems IMPOSSIBLE to put on and take off.

BFWD is the most idiot proof LSP I`ve ever used and that is pretty important to me because I`m a pretty big idiot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Even though BFWD is my favorite LSP (by a mile) I once did a wax test which included NXT 2.0 vs. a bunch of boutique products and it peformed better than most in many areas (including durability and certainly slickness). The only product which performed at par with it, was 845iw.

Everything else seemed pretty abysmal.

Having said that, what I don`t like about NXT 2.0 is that is stains trim and once you`ve used BFWD, everything else seems IMPOSSIBLE to put on and take off.

BFWD is the most idiot proof LSP I`ve ever used and that is pretty important to me because I`m a pretty big idiot.
    Menzerna Power Lock is even more idiot proof, application is even easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
    Menzerna Power Lock is even more idiot proof, application is even easier.
    Haven`t tried it, so I can`t say, although I`m open to anything.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best way to wash your car in the winter? Normally I use a DIY carwash with only the pressure washer in town.

also, as an alternative to picking a wax to last all year, I`d be willing to have a wax/ sealant that I could apply through the winter. Are there any spray sealants that definatley work at sub freezing and possibly even near zero?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddotron View Post
    What is the best way to wash your car in the winter? Normally I use a DIY carwash with only the pressure washer in town.

also, as an alternative to picking a wax to last all year, I`d be willing to have a wax/ sealant that I could apply through the winter. Are there any spray sealants that definatley work at sub freezing and possibly even near zero?
    I live in NJ, so the winters get pretty bad here (not as bad as other parts of the country, but bad nonetheless). As long as the temps are above 32*F, I do an ONR wash. If the car is covered with salt and all the other winter mess, I will go to a DIY wash and use the power washer to blast away the crud, and then come home to do my ONR wash. I am not sure if much will work in sub freezing temps. There are always a few days during the winter that are above freezing, so use those days if possible. Optimum Car Wax is a great spray wax. Or you can try to put a spray top on a bottle of 845, as I have seen someone on TID do.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    I live in NJ, so the winters get pretty bad here (not as bad as other parts of the country, but bad nonetheless). As long as the temps are above 32*F, I do an ONR wash. If the car is covered with salt and all the other winter mess, I will go to a DIY wash and use the power washer to blast away the crud, and then come home to do my ONR wash. I am not sure if much will work in sub freezing temps. There are always a few days during the winter that are above freezing, so use those days if possible. Optimum Car Wax is a great spray wax. Or you can try to put a spray top on a bottle of 845, as I have seen someone on TID do.
    My problem is that a lot of the above freezing days here are rainy and nasty to work in. I`ll have to get some ONR and get some practice with it.

How would optiseal do through winter?

I`m in central Ontario BTW

Post Thanks / Like
    My problem is that a lot of the above freezing days here are rainy and nasty to work in. I`ll have to get some ONR and get some practice with it.

How would optiseal do through winter?

I`m in central Ontario BTW
    ONR is something that every detailer should have in their arsonal. It is a great product that has many uses, and is really very easy to use. There are quite a few threads on ONR, so look them up and try one of the methods that looks good to you. Frankly, I would do a complete Fall detail, and seal it with a least 2 coats of BFWD, and then top it with Collinite 845IW. Give it at least 2 coats of the 845, and you should be set for the winter. If you want to give it a spruce up during the winter, just do it on a slightly warmer day.

The Opti-Seal is easy to use, but the durability could be better. Also, I am not sure that you would be able to use it on a freezing day.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    ONR is something that every detailer should have in their arsonal. It is a great product that has many uses, and is really very easy to use. There are quite a few threads on ONR, so look them up and try one of the methods that looks good to you. Frankly, I would do a complete Fall detail, and seal it with a least 2 coats of BFWD, and then top it with Collinite 845IW. Give it at least 2 coats of the 845, and you should be set for the winter. If you want to give it a spruce up during the winter, just do it on a slightly warmer day.

The Opti-Seal is easy to use, but the durability could be better. Also, I am not sure that you would be able to use it on a freezing day.
    Thanks for your help Barry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your help Barry
    Any time!!
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information