Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone, I`m new here and just started getting back in the game. One question I had after reading all this, living in New England, is if the 845 can be applied over Black Fire Sealant. I just finished my plain white Honda and winter IS fast approaching, any help would be great, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by honda2112 View Post
    Hi everyone, I`m new here and just started getting back in the game. One question I had after reading all this, living in New England, is if the 845 can be applied over Black Fire Sealant. I just finished my plain white Honda and winter IS fast approaching, any help would be great, thanks!
    Welcome to TID. Yes, you can top BFWD with 845IW. That is just what I did last winter and not only did it look great, but the protection lasted the entire winter here in NJ.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    I have decided to give Finish Kare 1000p a try on our CR-V for this winter. I hope to spend a full day on the CR-V next week or the week after--I`ll clay and clean the paint and then lay down two coats of 1000p. If I have the opportunity, I`ll lay down a third coat in early November. That should take me through April, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by akimel View Post
    I too have been thinking about the winter wax question. I have two vehicles--a black S2K and a glacier blue CR-V. Both cars are garaged at night.

S2K: Last year I applied two coats of Wet Diamond in early November and supplemented it in January with an application of Ultimate Quik Wax. (Yes, I drive my S2K in the winter. It was a choice between being practical or finally getting the sports car I always wanted. As my schedule is presently flexible, I`m able to avoid driving when it`s snowing.) The Wet Diamond got me into late March, at which point I applied a coat of Mother`s Reflections and waited until my Spring detail in early May.

Here is what I`m thinking for this winter, and I`d like to get your opinion. I`m thinking about applying a coat of FK 1000p. If I like the look I`ll apply a second coat. If I don`t like the look, I thought I would then top it with Wet Diamond. Does anyone foresee any problems with this combination?

CR-V: Last year I applied two (or maybe three) coats of Ultima Paint Guard Plus In October and November, and it successfully got us through the winter. It also survived a couple visits to the local do-it-yourself car wash. I`ll probably just go ahead and use UPGP again. I`m considering the 1000p, but UPGP is just so darn easy to use, and I can safely seal paint, cladding, and trim with one product. I guess I`ve become lazy.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Last September I used Three coates of BFWD topped with three coates of 476 and it lasted like crazy, I was really surprised- still going like crazy when I detailed my Black Explorer in May. I did not detail my wifes `07 Camry this year and the Protectant finally melted off sometime in July; it was a super hot summer around here and the car is black.

Going with this combo again this winter I prefer a paste to a liquid have not tried the 845 yet but the 476 has been very good for me and it looks freakin awesome on Black.

I have also decided to top off my BFWD with Collinite Marques De Elegance in the spring as I love the 476S and this is suposed to be the luxury wax of Collinite and best on Dark vehicles.

Collinite guarantees up to 6 months with 476 and I got that out of it, super water beading and a slick finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    2-3 coats of FK 1000p.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, thanks guys! I`ve never been a part of a forum that has responded so quick. I`m def gonna pick up some 845 for the wife and I. I`m excited, I get my first customer next week!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, thanks guys! I`ve never been a part of a forum that has responded so quick. I`m def gonna pick up some 845 for the wife and I. I`m excited, I get my first customer next week!
    You`ll love 845, but it can be finicky to use.

I have talked with Patrick from Collinite and he gave me a few tips, and I have since found a few methods for success as well.

- Shake it up! It will liquify into a melted butter consistancy. This helps with the next point.

- Thinner is better. I put 845 in a spray bottle [and now other companies have started selling it with a spray head] as it is a really easy way of applying thin. I spray [mist] a MF applicator and I can cover an entire panel with just a mist. Put it on thin enough that you are wondering if you are even applying it. If you find the 845 to almost flash when applying, it is going on thin enough.

- Do not let it dry. When it hazes, you can remove it. Problem with applying it too thick, is the difficulty of buffing it off in its entirety. If you let it dry, it will be as hard as a rock. Wax 2 panels, and go back and buff the first, apply to a new one, then remove from the second panel, apply to another, repeat.

- On your personal vehicles, if you wish to apply another coat, you may. After letting it sit for a week, you can reapply with "light" pressure and buff it off again with light pressure. 845 has some solvents, but with a delicate additional application, you can add to the longevity.

- Accumulator, a member on the other site, has found applying 845, then applying 476, to create a very protective layer of wax. Again, after waiting until your next wash, he applies another coat of 845. It creates an impressive combination for the paint.

- You can use it on plastics, but make sure you test a small spot first. Apply the wax, and buff it in like you are cleaning the plastic. Then, buff it off. Don`t let it dry on the plastic, but apply and remove right after.

I don`t think there is anything else too imperative to know. Again, shake it up, apply thin, remove at the right time, and enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    great tip! I have a habit of always shaking every 5 minutes, I use to do a lot of work with model paint and I just got into the habit, would drive everyone nuts in the house though. Funny when you have minor compulsion how it can drive others crazy. Anyway, I`m gonna order some Friday and apply after my next wash, I`ll let you know what I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay away from junk such as megs nxt 2.0? Why? Because it sucks in terms of durability. I also would NOT use Poorboy`s EX/EX-P? Why? Once again, poor durability.
    For winter protection you want something REALLY DURABLE. I am even thinking of ordering G-techiq C1 to see how long it lasts.
    Here is what I`d use as a durable winter protection:
    -Duragloss 601/105 or 601/111 combo
    -Collinite 476s, 845, or 915
    -Zaino Z-2 ZFXed
    -Klasse AIO/SG
    -FK1000p

All combos above have been already tried and proven to last entire winter (California winter that is, with occasional trips to South Lake Tahoe, where it snows) with bi-weekly washing.

Hope this helps...

G-techniq, Nanolex, Opti-Coat, Aquartz/Cquartz are on my wish list to try out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on if I buy a new vehicle, I will be testing either Cquartz alone or my FX now has Opti-Coat, Aquartz and Cquartz on different panels to test out. I don`t think any wax or sealant is going to come close to what these nano coats can do. Hopefully PAC can get a line on one to sell. I have a review I`ve done on Cquartz that I won`t post here b/c it would break the rules.

Post Thanks / Like
    845 still hasn`t come yet plus it`s been raining like nuts here so I don`t really mind. I don`t know about California winters or Tahoe but we use an awful lot of salt up here in MA (I`m sure Tahoe does too). It`s my first time using something like the 845 so we`ll see come spring time. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Winter wax

I guess I am also happy to see so many using 845 in the foul winter weather. I have used the 845 on a regular basis summer and winter. I have also acquired a large supply of other so called great waxes. The problem is as many have said they don`t last! I love to keep my stuff nice and shinny but, don`t wanna wax every week because things don`t last. I wash by hand 2-3 times per week so this also plays a part in longevity with any product. I also find the 845 is easy to apply via PC. You can control the amount of product per panel (after priming the pad).

I use the 845 every month or two in the winter just to keep up on things so I have no idea if it will last all winter or not. This is also true with many products I have here, how would a person ever know how long things last. This said the reason is I never go more than 6-8 weeks before a reapplication of something.

Nattys wax is great but it will not last through 1-2 washes imho but its easy to apply. Duragloss is another talked about product I have never used. I also like PRO YELLOW WAX it seems to last a while but needs to be applied thin, or is a bear to remove. BFWD is a super easy product to use but my problem after 24 hrs of application I always top with a wax. I guess as long as I am applying wax-sealant to the surface I should be ok, but it does get old after a while also...

Post Thanks / Like

Winter Wax

I live in North Carolina and I wash my truck 2 times a week and Wax it at least two times a month, All products that were mentioned are good, I have used 845, Pro Yellow Wax, all of Duragloss, Production products, Ardex. and others. Had a guy semd me some Purple Blaze from Auto Magic the other day. It is like a Express wax. I am in Business for myself detailing so I have used alot of different products. Love doing what I do and I enjoy making sure that that my customers cars are in good shape for winter. Love using my Porter Cable Rotary, and my 15# Gem orbital.And with those tools and foam pads and good products you can be ready for the winter for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking 3 coats now

845 still hasn`t come yet plus it`s been raining like nuts here so I don`t really mind. I don`t know about California winters or Tahoe but we use an awful lot of salt up here in MA (I`m sure Tahoe does too). It`s my first time using something like the 845 so we`ll see come spring time. Thanks!
    Just added coat #3 on the truck this afternoon wow it looks great. I have found you might want to prime your finish pad with 845. Then run out 2-3 panels and see what that looks like via the PC. I have done both hand and PC applications and will say its great using the machine. You will get a thin even coat that way for sure. Remember thin and don`t over saturate the pad just turn the bottle upside down 3-4 spots on the pad. And yes SHAKE THE STUFF SILLY BEFORE USING IT...

Post Thanks / Like
    Re: 845

Quote Originally Posted by bill buxton View Post
    Just added coat #3 on the truck this afternoon wow it looks great. I have found you might want to prime your finish pad with 845. Then run out 2-3 panels and see what that looks like via the PC. I have done both hand and PC applications and will say its great using the machine. You will get a thin even coat that way for sure. Remember thin and don`t over saturate the pad just turn the bottle upside down 3-4 spots on the pad. And yes SHAKE THE STUFF SILLY BEFORE USING IT...
    It took years but I`m finally down the bottle halfway and the IW pours almost like water. I stuck a pop-up lid on it long ago.. my method of application has evolved over the years and I now dribble a dozen or so small dots around the hood in addition to priming the applicator pad. Once the hood is done the hand applicator or the machine pad has enough 845 on it I rarely have to add more than a drop or two for each surface. I usually do all the top surfaces then remove, one whole side, then remove, then the other side... lather, rinse repeat. Last up is bumpers, grill, door jams etc. Then the shiney black plastic surfaces followed by an immediate wipe-off. After 30+ years of using the stuff I think I`ve finally got the hang of it.

I`ve got no clue how long the stuff lasts, I know I`ve gone through an entiure winter without a touchup. I use DGAW on occasion to renew the shine and slickness so there`s no telling where the DGAW ends and the 845IW begins. Absolutely stunning on white!

TL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information