Post Thanks / Like
    With all the products out there I get confused about which products to use and which ones not to use. Specifically I get confused on the initial order of items to use. When starting a detail from scratch, is the proper order:

1. Dawn wash

2. Clay bar

3. Finesse-it II (car has some swirls/scratches)

4. PPCL

5. AIO

6. KSG

7. Wax of choice

Do I need the PPCL after the FI2? Also, should I rewash anywhere in there.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Geeman

Post Thanks / Like
    You have it right. It`s your judgement call to use PPCL or not after FIII. On some finishes FI leaves trace marring which PPCL will remove. On my silver cars, for instance, I do not need to use anything after FI.

This is a debated subject, but I find AIO not necessary if you have already prepped the surface. (Just use KSG) Some feel it adds more to the finish but I haven`t experienced it.

No need to rewash in between unless the car gets dirty. (You won`t get all this done in one day....at least I can`t!)
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Your plan sounds great and looks almost exactly like mine. One thing, I don`t know that you need the original Dawn wash. Just wash the car very well with the shampoo of your choice and proceed with the rest of the process.

I doubt the Dawn can remove anything that Clay, FI-II, PPCL, and AIO cannot remove. As far as using something after FI-II, it depends on your paint and the application of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info guys. You`re right in that I will not be able to get it all done in one day. I`ll have to find a nice weekend here in Northern Cal in order to get this all done since I don`t have a garage.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to use the PPCL with the buffer? You might need to polish with some SMR to remove the hazing caused by the FI-II.

But i`m curious too. I don`t clay or SMR because I don`t have the need to yet, but does everyone clay before SMR. I would also think it would be a good idea to PPCL after the swirl mark set because it removes the residue better. Finally I like AIO before SG because it sets up SG any perhaps removes any thing in the PPCL that can hinder SG`s adhesion? hmmm

Ideally it would be it would be ABC, Clay, FI-II, SMR, PPCL, AIO, SG, Wax

But does anyone wash after claying, or swirl mark stuff or both?

(you could probably get away with not using the PPCL and the PPCL with a buffer instead of the SMR)

or do you ABC after Clay, cause clay will get the big stuff off and leave the ABC to attack the leftovers: Clay, ABC, FI-II, SMR, PPCL, AIO, SG, Wax

or do you wash again after the PPCL to get any residue off. So then its Clay, FI-II, SMR, PPCL, ABC, AIO, SG, Wax?

Did I confuse anyone besides myself? For those of us that have done all the steps, what is the correct order in the beginning.

How about, C, Clay, ABC, FI-II, SMR, PPCL, C, AIO, SG, Wax? or ABC, Clay, SMR, PPCL, C, AIO, SG Wax

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by YoSteve.Com [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>How about, C, Clay, ABC, FI-II, SMR, PPCL, C, AIO, SG, Wax? or ABC, Clay, SMR, PPCL, C, AIO, SG Wax [/b]</blockquote>
    LOL Steve that`s a lot of abbreviations. Sad thing is I bet we all read through that just as fast as if they were full words. But back on topic, I`d probably agree with the last order you presented, and if I had ABC I might even do it again <em class=`bbc`>after[/i] the claying, to remove the trace bits of junk the clay left behind.

I`d think it makes sense to use abrasives after things like ABC and clay because these things remove stuff (`contaminants`) left in your paint, meaning it would have little dents or imperfections from where they were, and the abrasives would even this out.

Geez, sorry for being so longwinded today
    puterbum

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    But from the other thread we learned that 3M SMR leaves residue behind and PPCL probably does so we want that of too. The only residue stuff we like is the AIO to set up for the SG, so we should wash right before the AIO in every scenario, right? no apologies necessary JC

How about this for a final effort but more specific

Day1: Wash (with C or MGC, or PBS or Dawn even), Clay, FI-II, SMR, PPCL, ABC, AIOx2 then buff, and SGx1 then buff.

Day 2: SGx1 then buff.

Day 3: SGx1 then buff.

Day 4: SGx1 then buff...etc.

Week 2: Souveran x 1, buff immediately

Week 2, day 1: Soveran x 1 again, buff immediately.

have some beerz :up

Yay! :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    My head is spinning now. BTW, what is ABC?

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by geeman [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>My head is spinning now. BTW, what is ABC? [/b]</blockquote>
    ABC is Automotive International`s neutralization system. It`s supposed to be great for removing contaminants in the paint that clay cannot remove. It`s about $60 for the all of the products, available here. BTW, anyone in Southern CA want to go 1/2 or so? PM me

HTH,
    Justin

BTW, I`m sure Ron K. or Brd4rdHay can offer more information on this.

Post Thanks / Like

2nd layer of BFWD

I never had the opportunity to add a 2nd layer of BFWD after letting it cure overnight until now! The vehicle will be garaged kept overnight before layer #2. Even though there should be no dust, do I still need to wash the vehicle or give it a quick wipedown with a quick detailer? Or, can I just add the 2nd layer without touching it.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would just use a quick detailer for remover of any light dust that might be on there.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Angelo

Should look awesome

BTW, Thanks for dropping by the Chatroom and keeping me company. I hope you enjoy your Hooters dinner. They have great food :judge:

Post Thanks / Like
    I also agree.

You will love the results.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Thread Information