View Poll Results: Do you like spray wax?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like spray wax.

25 43.10%
  • I prefer spray sealant.

8 13.79%
  • I like traditional wax/sealant with QD touchups.

21 36.21%
  • I don`t use spray wax or spray sealants.

4 6.90%
  • Other.....

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was drying the Exlorer today after it`s normal wash and I noticed that the car had like a greasy film on it. The car has AIOx2 and SGx4 with no topper. They look very much like swirl marks, but when you wipe your finger on the paint you can`t see it anymore. I figured it was a film maybe from the wash and went in and grabbed some Final Inspection to get it off. The FI did not even phase it.

So then I got to thinking maybe it was the SG itself. The last coat of SG was put on about 1 week ago. I left plenty of time between coats, about 2 weeks. So I decided to strip the Klasse off of one spot of the car to see it the film when away. I first tried PPCL. It did nothing. It actually made the problem worse. So then I move on to some SMR. It did help the problem, but you could still see some of the film. Finally I mixed up a 80/20 solution of alcohol and water. This finally removed the flim, but it also removed the Klasse. Has anyone besides me had this problem?

This film covered the entire car, so I had to strip all the Klasse off the car.

Any of you had this problem besides me? I know some have had similar expierences, but they were in colder weather. Any comments are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    This has been a common problem mentioned on this forum recently. There are two threads about this so far:

Why Does Klasse Haze German Paint?

The Cause of Klasse Hazing

A quick search will yield more results. I do remember someone saying they got it off with a spray of QD and a quick PC buffing with an MF bonnet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted some pictures a few days ago. Let me know if the film you are talking about is the same as I had.

Film/Haze on Klassed car

I didn`t try the alcohol trick. Ron just posted in another thread to use an alcohol based glass cleaner (??)

H

Post Thanks / Like
    bigboyhf

Yes, it is the same thing. Your looks a little worse than mine, but it is the same thing. The alcohol stripped off the Klasse, so don`t use that trick unless you want to remove everything you have put on the finish.

I am switching the Explorer over to Zaino to see if I still have the same problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    This whole subject has jogged my memory. When my BMW was first delivered back in May, the dealer put on a sealant, I (think it was Polymer II maybe) and I remember seeing the same haze and swirls. I think that was when I first started really getting into detailing and my friend turned me on to Souveran. I stripped the sealant off and put the Souveran on. I don`t think I had any problems until I Klassed it a few months ago.

Those pictures that I posted were accentuated by the angle of the sun and taken that way to document the haze. It isn`t as visible until the sun hits it just right, so it actually looks a little bit worse in the pictures than if you were just standing and looking at it.

I ordered Blackfire and I am going to try it on the Mustang first. I Klassed it before really prepping correctly (I was just learning back then), so I will strip the Klasse and give it a workover with the PC and 3M products as needed. If this problem is weather related ie humidity, then I`m sunk cuz Florida humidity hangs around 80 - 98 percent year round.

H

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, sometimes it`s so humid it`s hard to dry the car off after washing--kind of like trying to dry off your car in a steam bath! Wonder if one of those leaf blowers would do the trick better?

Post Thanks / Like
    This has jogged my memory as well. I sort of remember having a film on one of my black cars back when I had a few coats of SG on it. I didn`t really examine it carefully so I didn`t think much of it, but under very specific lighting, the car would sometimes seem to have a slight film on it. At the time, I just thought the car was getting dirty and was ready for a wash so I never tried to buff it off, but that was a while ago and I don`t remember it all that clearly....especially since it was my wife`s car and I didn`t get to see it that much.

I live in Los Angeles, by the way and it rarely gets humid here. I`m still using Klasse right now, but only AIO and a carnauba topper and I don`t have any problems with this mysterious white film

Post Thanks / Like
    1999 Corolla I detail, I have 1X Klasse AIO by PC, 5X Klasse SG on hood and trunk, 3X everywhere else, and then 3X Blitz on the car.

I did not notice any hazing on the car. There are swirl marks on the car due to someone wiping the dirty car with a rag and water.

Next Spring this car will be detailed completely. I will use the ABC system, a clear coat rubbing compound and PC from AutoInt, then 3M FI II, then Pinnacle PCL, Klasse AIO, then Klasse SG X5 during a period of 4 weeks. then I might Blitz or Souveran it, the jury is still out there.

The hazing and film may be different paints or different techniques, or geographical location.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I stripped off the Klasse and put Z1 and Z5 on. I don`t see any signs of the problem with Zaino yet, but only time will tell.

I was really stunned when the PPCL did nothing to help it. I actually made it worse. It seemed to spread the film around more.

I had a similar problem with my Lincoln (AIOx2 SGx5 and Paste Glaz topper) the other day, but it was not as bad as this. I just gave a quick shot of Crystal Mist and the film was gone from the Lincoln. I don`t really know if the weather has anything to do with it or not. The weather in Cincy has been really nice for this time of year. It has been getting into the 50`s and 60`s for highs and the 40`s for lows with low humidity. There has been tons of sun and no rain for at least a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you like spray wax?

Do you like spray wax?

Do you prefer spray sealant?

Or would you rather use traditional wax/sealant and QD in between applications?

Poll posted in 2 minutes.....:biggrin:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a spray wax on nearly every detail I do that doesn`t involve paint correction (always Poli-Seal followed by OCW or Duragloss AW). It looks at least as good as if I were to use a regular wax or sealant, and the durability is pretty good.

In fact, since I`ve started using that combination of products, I`ve had more and more customers come back and tell me how well they thought the paint was holding up. I was pretty surprised.

On my car however, I still prefer using a traditional liquid or paste LSP. I don`t know if it looks any better or holds up any longer than if I were to use a spray, but I don`t mind spending the extra little bit of time on my personal ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    I try to use BF Spray Sealant after each wash and between applications. It gives it that just sealed look and slickness. That reminds me, I will need to be ordering another bottle. Thanks Bill.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    I try to use BF Spray Sealant after each wash and between applications. It gives it that just sealed look and slickness. That reminds me, I will need to be ordering another bottle. Thanks Bill.
    I like that product as well for the same reason you just stated.

For most all of my big jobs (customer cars) I prefer using traditional liquid sealants or paste wax. I just feel they offer longer, better protection and a great finish to boot.

I do like Jeff Werkstat products but compared to BFWD or Powerlock the protection is not on that level so I prefer to give people the best.
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like
    I like using Opt Car Wax as a final wipe down sometimes I will use DG AW. Always use either for door jams.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I do not have time to add a second coat of sealant, I use Meguiars M135 Synthetic Spray Detailer. It has Hydrophobic Polymer Technology and does offer some protection.

I purchase it by the gallon, I do not like buying spray detailers or spray waxes by the bottle.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information