Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a small problem.... I have Mother`s Wax, 3M SMR and 3M FI-2 on the way, along with Klasse AIO and SG. I am going to go over my car with the clay, then the SMR (probably not the FI, but perhaps). Then I`m going to apply a coat of AIO and then SG.

Here is my problem: The dust here is terrible. I washed my car last night, and had to dust it today before I QD`ed it this morning. in 4 hour a small coat of dust will have layered itself on the car. AND, on top of that, I have a small place where it is shadier the last half of the day.

My question is, what do I do? How am I going to be able to clean, clay and wax my car without getting dust particles inside the sealant and rubbing compounds? I cannot wash my car in the shady spot, because it is in our gravel driveway right next to the house...

Any ideas? Any tips are greatly appreciated. I`ve been trying to figure out what I`m going to do.....
    Personalized Key Ring Man

Post Thanks / Like
    You should be OK. The dust that settles doesn`t seem to stick like bug/tree droppings or oily dirt deposited at speed from the road. Just wash, dry, and go to work. If you have a wait period, use a california car duster and/or mf wipe with detail spray to get rid of the dust.

If the dust is over wax residue you haven`t buffed yet, there isn`t much you can do (that I know of anyway) except a) try to avoid it (can you find a garage to borrow? There are even those temp shade structures you can erect over the car....)

When you buff out, just be sure to turn the wipe frequently - keep an eye on it for dark buildup, which will be dirt. I always wiggle the towel a little in my hand - just ungrab/regrab - between almost every swipe - so that a slightly different section is exposed to the car.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    during my 7 days o detailing I wiped down my car with mf`s. I sorta flung the dust off, but it wasn`t as much as yours was. Maybe you can cover it, but there`s a fine line of determining if you car is too dusty to QD and wipe. You just might have to wash your car.

Or you can adapt by changing and improvising your Klasse schedule. You can AIO twice and SG twice and then the following weekend you can SG two more times after washing it. HTH
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel a dustless car is impossible! Never fails when you are done detailing dust settles somewhere and drives me bonkers.

It is either inside or outside somewhere. When I get that dust it I then see dust somewhere else. I feel like my dog chasing my tail but the tail is dust bunnies! ARGGGGGGGGGG.

Oh well off to dust the truck for the umteenth time this week!

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s the old saying: An ounce of preventation is worth a pound of cure.

I think a car cover is essential in car care, unless you have a garage at home and at work. Even then, I would cover the car when left parked outside (shopping for instance) for any longer period of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips guys... I`ll let you know how it goes this weekend (hopefully).

I`ve heard that car covers can cause more damage than they prevent... especially when it is so dusty. What is preventing the dust from getting under the cover on a windy day?

I`d love to get one, I just don`t think it would help my cause any, besides keeping most dust off the car.

Josiah
    Personalized Key Ring Man

Post Thanks / Like
    what`s this Guess? complaining about your weather conditions it may be cold as all here, but it`s pretty much dust free

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve discovered since I carpeted my garage, the dust factor is way down (granted I vacuum it a couple times a month)

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think dust will get under the cover on a windy day. The risk is when you cover a dirty car - then you drag the dust around (and transfer it to the cover for next time). Worse, if it is windy, the cover will then happily sand your car for you. I <strong class=`bbc`>always[/b] QD my car before covering. If it is too dirty to QD, then I simply don`t cover it - it needs a wash anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Complaining about dust yes the weather nooooooooo!

88 today pure sunshine!

Post Thanks / Like
    I consider all atmospheric conditions weather. I saw on the weather channel florida`s one forcast called for smoke (cause of a big fire). If the pollen count or the smog percentage is high it`s weather to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok the temperature & humidity are great but the dust count stinks!

Darn Steve a stickler for the details! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    yes guess, but you don`t have to deal with a cinder truck pelting your perfect finish at 35 miles an hour on a snowy salted road

and yes, I pay attention to details look where you are, do a search on the word detail and see how many posts come up, haha j/k MB

Post Thanks / Like
    carguy`s got it. We don`t cover dirty cars. QD first if the car has light dust. Wash if dirty. But, if the car is kept covered, it usually does not get dirty!

Post Thanks / Like
    a covered car is like a bullseye.....people already noptice all our cars(autopians) anyway....if i get a cover...and put it on...while my car is parked on the street(as it always is)...its like saying...come look under here...play with me...throwthings at me... ....plus i live about 1 block from a school(thats how i lost the past 2 sets of chrome valves )....so...i just pray they keep walking right on by...this is the one time i DON`T want people to notice my car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information