Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got aftermarket flares on my Tahoe that are mounted primarily with 3M vhb automotive grade double sided adhesive tape. I am thinking of removing them and wanted to know the best way to get the tape off. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try WD-40. It seems to work well on removing adhesive.

Some other people might suggest goof off, but I`m not sure if it is ok on finishes. I used it to get warning decals off my vinyl visor, so if it didn`t harm them, I would guess it would be ok.

If the WD-40 doesn`t work after spraying, you may want to warm it up with a hair dryer.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Brian, I think I will try that. I used that method to remove "sport" decals on my Dodge Pick-up and it worked well.

Post Thanks / Like
    i highly suggest "Goo Gone". u can get it at walmart ( in the soap and cleaners sections, not the auto section). it works really really well and is very safe. no crazy chemicals and it smells nice and orangey. its probably similar to what Goof Off is, but i never tried that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Ng Luder [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>i highly suggest "Goo Gone". u can get it at walmart ( in the soap and cleaners sections, not the auto section). it works really really well and is very safe. no crazy chemicals and it smells nice and orangey. its probably similar to what Goof Off is, but i never tried that one. [/b]</blockquote>I`ve used Goo Gone before, too (took the nasty burnout-boogers off the rear fenders of a RWD car without a problem); good stuff. I don`t think Goo Gone and Goof Off are in the same class of cleaners, though . . . Goo Gone is a citrus-based solvent (like you said, "orangey"), but Goof Off smells like a chemical plant. Lots o` petroleum distillates, according to my sniffer.

That`s not to say that there`s anything wrong with Goof Off, but you might want to test it in an inconspicuous spot first; it just seems to be a much harsher/stronger solvent than Goo Gone. Another poster might be able to say for sure if it`s safe for auto paint . . . I honestly don`t know.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Tortoise, you are dead on. I tried Goo Off when I was removing the emblems.....bad idea. It definitely affected the paint....kinda left a real dull look....took me almost a year to get it so you dont notice one spot. Thanks for the advice all. I`ve already got some WD40, give that a try first...if no success, try Goo Gone next!

Post Thanks / Like
    3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like

Battle of the sealants

Hi everyone,

I would like to apply a paint sealant to my car (after prepping: washing, claying etc). After the sealant, I then intend on applying a high quality carnuaba wax (to give a more organic gloss). But first I need to work out which sealant to apply.

Does anyone have experience with the following products, and which one would you recommend?

• Glare Infinity Plus (i.e. glasplexin (a silicate) based sealant);
    • Toughseal (i.e. PTFE based sealant); or
    • Nanolex (have not been able to discover the key ingredient).

Don`t get me wrong - I haven`t fallen for the propaganda and I know these products are not miracle products that will last for years. Probably 6-12 months tops. But they are inorganic sealants and some of you must have some experience with them and be able to recommend one over the other, or at least share your view on how they performed.

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Regards,

Emrayfo

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

I`ve tried a few sealants over the years but not the brands you listed. That said, the only PTFE product I still use is on the tires - stopped all other PTFE products years ago as they didn`t perform well for me.

Several months ago I tried BF Wet Diamond and I`m really impressed with the product...easy to apply either by hand or by machine, easy to remove, leaves a fantastic finish and has lasted for months.

I have topped it with two different waxes, each giving it`s own characteristics to the final appearance. The BF Midnight Sun as amazing depth on my white and my wife`s dark blue cars.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have more info. on them. I`ve never heard of them before.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure what you`re looking for...looks, durability, protection...

Anyway, for looks Blackfire Wet Diamond wins in my opinion. For protection, an acrylic like Klasse, Werkstat, Carlack take the win. For durability, go with Collinite. In my opinion, you won`t need a wax after any of these. All of these are very good in every category, so don`t infer that BFWD doesn`t protect, Collinite doesn`t look good, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks gewb and wfedwar for that info. I will check those products out.

@wfedwar - I guess I`m mainly after durability and protection. My situation is such that I probably cannot do a monthly wax; hence my interest in the synthetic sealants. But I realise that the synthetics give a less lustrous and natural shine. That`s why I am thinking of layering over the sythetic with an organic wax for extra protection and improved looks.

@Termigator - here are some of the references I have come across on these items. It may be that these exact products are not directly available in the US, but I would have thought similar products using the same technologies may be:

Thanks everyone for all your input. Cheers!

Thread Information