Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Mistake

Post Thanks / Like
    I just posted a review of these products on the Review forum. If you haven`t heard of them, check it out.

Thanks to Ron K for his pointers and providing some of the products.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Rookie Mistake

BFWD is one slick product - literally.

So a week or two ago I gave Nelly (my `07 Sonata) a fresh coat of BFWD.

Yesterday I decided to try the BF Midnight Sun wax over the BFWD. The new jar of wax had been just waiting for a warmer day and I decided to try it at 45*F. The wax is quite hard in the container but went on smoothly and easy. Removal was very easy with a plush MF cloth.

My routine is wash, dry and start to wax on the roof. I fold a clean MF cloth in quarters, place it on the roof and put the product container on the folder cloth...been doing this for decades. :yawn:

BUT - I haven`t been using BFWD for decades. You know what happened...the cloth and new jar of BFMS wax just slide off the roof and onto the concrete floor. The jar shattered at the top and fractured half way around the rest of the jar. :banghead:

To add insult to the injury, it landed top (open) side down...right in the sandy junk on the floor. :doh:

I was able to remove the contamination and only lost the top 1/8 inch of wax so it wasn`t a total loss. Time to find the melting point and transfer it to another jar!

Lesson learned, even after waxing cars since 1966.

On a brighter note, Nelly`s pearl white finish looks really wet. It removes the slight (ever so slight) plastic look from the sealant but leaves a wet looking finish. It even has some depth which is hard to get on this white finish. :thumbup:

Sorry, no pics yet. Can`t get much in the garage and today was snowing (morning) and a bit overcast. I`ll see how it looks over the weekend.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man.... I`m sorry to hear that! Heartbreaking for a detailer!

(save your pennies... there`s more where that came from...):w00t::money:

As you said, lesson learned!:iagree:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    So you say BFWD is slicker`n stuff on a doornob?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is kind of how I got into detailing actually. When I was 16 my first car was an 89 Grand Prix Coupe that I absolutely LOVED and was super proud of. I kept it clean, but mainly car wash clean, not detail freak clean. Well, every morning I`d come out to the garage to get in it and there would be a coffee ring on the top of it from my dad`s coffee cup and my blood would boil every morning. Well, I figured that the only way to fix that would be to keep the paint slick enough so he couldn`t do it anymore.

So, after a few broken coffee mugs, he finally learned his lesson and put his mug on his own POS that never got cleaned/detailed and not my baby!! I know I didn`t use anything like the stuff I use today, but with enough coats of anything and some persistence I was able to keep it coffee mug resistant!
    2012 Acura TSX Special Edition, Crystal Black Pearl
    2007 Volvo XC90 Sport, Passion Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    So you say BFWD is slicker`n stuff on a doornob?
    Yup!

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Slick? Yes, slick indeed.

I can`t put the car covers on the Vettes by myself. Why? They SLIDE OFF! Gotta get the wife to help!
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the cover cause "problems" with the finish?

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gewb View Post
    Does the cover cause "problems" with the finish?

Regards,
    GEWB
    No, they are "indoor" covers made of a satin-like fabric. Pretty harmless. I just make sure the cars are absolutely clean when I put them on.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    No, they are "indoor" covers made of a satin-like fabric. Pretty harmless. I just make sure the cars are absolutely clean when I put them on.
    I am sort of surprised you dont spray detail them every mourning with your coffee...I know you cant stands a piece of dust on one of um......hehehe

:wink:

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happened to me!

You know what happened...the cloth and new jar of BFMS wax just slide off the roof and onto the concrete floor. :banghead:

To add insult to the injury, it landed top (open) side down...right in the sandy junk on the floor. :doh:

GEWB
    Last year I was trying Wolfgang Fuzion over my Blackfire. I set a microfiber towel on the roof to rest the wax on.....next thing I know I am looking at wax crumbs on the ground. I like to think that the Blackfire pushed Wolfgang off the cliff.

:White Horse:
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey GEWB,

Sorry to hear about your tragic loss. It is however, a great advertisement for BFWD. Maybe Jack can do a commercial showing how things slide right off a car sealed with BFWD. All the profits can go towards GEWB aid, for a new tub:money:
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    Hey GEWB,

Sorry to hear about your tragic loss. It is however, a great advertisement for BFWD. Maybe Jack can do a commercial showing how things slide right off a car sealed with BFWD. All the profits can go towards GEWB aid, for a new tub:money:
    How kind, but Angelo is sending me a new empty jar :clap: as I only lost a very small amount of wax from the new/full jar. I`ll be able to remove the cracked/broken jar from around the wax billet and drop it into the empty jar. Then I`ll try heating it up to the melting point so it seats in the new jar.

But I still like the commercial idea...

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    How kind, but Angelo is sending me a new empty jar :clap: as I only lost a very small amount of wax from the new/full jar. I`ll be able to remove the cracked/broken jar from around the wax billet and drop it into the empty jar. Then I`ll try heating it up to the melting point so it seats in the new jar.

But I still like the commercial idea...

Regards,
    GEWB
    You here that Jack? Let`s make this commercial:thumbup:
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Angelo -

The empty jar arrived today, THANKS!!!

It was easy to transfer the wax billet as it had cracked in two. I removed the label from the bottom and top of the broken jar and applied them to the new jar. Then I completed breaking the old jar - it split in half and both pieces of wax just popped out. Dropped them in the new jar and it was done!

Thanks again for your great customer service! :partaaay::partaaay::partaaay:

Regards,
    GEWB

(Gary in Denver)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information