Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new beginning

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all,

just finished searching for some info on towel serging and would like to know if anyones come up with other ideas to keep edges from fraying.Do local cleaners do this type work(serging)and if not who is the cheapest?I know lots of you are true MT users whats the best deal for quality on these?Thanks alot!

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt that any cleaners would do serging. You can try a clothing alterations shop, they might be able to do it, but I am not sure.

For Miralce Towels, the best deal you are going to find is YoSteve. Check his website out at www.yosteve.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed! Steve has the best prices for Miracle Towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you have access to a sewing machine, you can seal the edges yourself and not have any fraying. Just buy 100% cotton thread, be careful you don`t buy polyester thread that is coated with cotton. Fold over the exposed edges about 1/4" and seal with a tight zig zag stitch. You`ll spend about 2.00 on the cotton thread, a few hours on the sewing machine, and you will have all the different sized towels you want. I have washed mine quite a few times and have not had any problems with edges fraying.

If you want further instructions or pics of what the edges look like, email me at engagedswing@hotmail.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking A new beginning

I have been reading around trying to educate myself further before I start putting a protective layer on fresh paint.
    My gut feeling here tells me that I want to apply a paint sealant,prolly two coats with an overnight or longer rest between coats.
    Here is an issue that bothers me,with most product lines ,alot if not most have polishes.I dont feel myself that brand new paint needs polishing if the clear coat is pristine of foreign matter,like clay baring to test for junk.Now,its quite possible to polish the clear coat to a slicker finish,but at the cost of a micro layer of the clear coat.
    Now ,here is a question I would like to debate,or let me rephrase that, learn more about.If I apply two layers of paint seasant,then is it possible to get more shine out of a hand (light pressure) polish on top of that sealant? after all it would be polishing the sealant actually.Now ,to head off a reply,sum one will say ,polish first and then apply the sealant.I do not wish to polish for the first step,my goal is to protect and shine.
    I think in the early going ,I wish to apply a sealant followed by a spray sealant or possibly a spray wax after each shampoo.
    I know after reading the threads,sum folks feel that waxing is not for them,because of longevity reasons ,sum are just staying in the polymer families and using sealants.
    This may be lively,and I hope it is with replies.....I am in learn mode with a brand new car,please voice opinions....:smile:

:driving:

Post Thanks / Like
    The obvious answer is "it depends". For example, if you use a sealant such as Mothers or Meguire`s then top it with a quality carnauba wax, the wax will change the final appearance, but whether or not the change is "better" is subjective.

I have been using Black Fire Wet Diamond (two coats) as my base and it is very slick, very reflective - looks great on a white car. Topped with a quality carnauba wax does two things: reduces the slickness slightly and softens to appearence a bit - not as nice on white but great on moonlit blue (very dark blue).

For greatest slickness, the BFWD (two coats) with no topping can not be surpassed in my book.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RED JEWELL SS View Post
    Now ,here is a question I would like to debate,or let me rephrase that, learn more about.If I apply two layers of paint seasant,then is it possible to get more shine out of a hand (light pressure) polish on top of that sealant?
    Nope....

The polish will probably just remove the sealant.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, good catch!

I blew right past the "polish" part.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gewb View Post
    Dave, good catch!

I blew right past the "polish" part.

Regards,
    GEWB
    That makes since, why didnt I think of that.. :doh:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RED JEWELL SS View Post
    I have been reading around trying to educate myself further before I start putting a protective layer on fresh paint.
    My gut feeling here tells me that I want to apply a paint sealant,prolly two coats with an overnight or longer rest between coats.
    Here is an issue that bothers me,with most product lines ,alot if not most have polishes.I dont feel myself that brand new paint needs polishing if the clear coat is pristine of foreign matter,like clay baring to test for junk.Now,its quite possible to polish the clear coat to a slicker finish,but at the cost of a micro layer of the clear coat.
    Now ,here is a question I would like to debate,or let me rephrase that, learn more about.If I apply two layers of paint seasant,then is it possible to get more shine out of a hand (light pressure) polish on top of that sealant? after all it would be polishing the sealant actually.Now ,to head off a reply,sum one will say ,polish first and then apply the sealant.I do not wish to polish for the first step,my goal is to protect and shine.
    I think in the early going ,I wish to apply a sealant followed by a spray sealant or possibly a spray wax after each shampoo.
    I know after reading the threads,sum folks feel that waxing is not for them,because of longevity reasons ,sum are just staying in the polymer families and using sealants.
    This may be lively,and I hope it is with replies.....I am in learn mode with a brand new car,please voice opinions....:smile:

:driving:
    One thing to keep in mind, wax isn`t permanent. In other words... experiment.

Your car, being new, may not need polishing. You`d be surprised by the number of "new" cars that do need some help in the paint dept. to really "bring the bling." If you`ve noticed the threads in the "Show and Shine" section here... every one of those cars probably looks better than they did than when they were new.

A sealant like BFWD is always a great idea no matter what you do. After the sealant`s on your car, try waxing just the hood or a quarter panel and see if you like the look. Live with it a few days like this... if you like the wax, do the rest of the car; if not... just remove it.
    My daily driver has 4 different kinds of wax (in different places... not over each other:wink: ), over two coats of BFWD, on it right now (I`m doing some tests) and one quarter panel with just sealant. I can remove all the wax anytime I want and then go with the one I feel like living with for awhile.

I like the way wax "warms up" some finishes. On other finishes, going with sealant alone really looks best.

It`s all subjective, you can`t hurt anything... try some stuff out!
    Gary Bohannon

Beaux Art Detail
    Nashville, TN

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just use a cleaner wax? That should do just what you are looking for.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    Why not just use a cleaner wax? That should do just what you are looking for.
    I want to keep a paint sealant on top of the c/c...,I may experiment with a wax over it since this car will remain in the garage unless I am out enjoying the hell out of it......:biggrin:

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a great kit for what you want to use on your ride RED JEWELL SS.......

Give this one a shot, your love it for sure..............:wizard:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Here is a great kit for what you want to use on your ride RED JEWELL SS.......

Give this one a shot, your love it for sure..............:wizard:
    Actually I have been strongly considering those products . I do have a question though about Poly Charger.Its my understanding that this product is normally an additive to help curing time and is supposed to be added in batches and has a short mixed life....how come it is incorporated in the product if its supposed to be mixed in small quantities.
    I s this a similar situation that Zaino has with the ZFX,whereas the product is actually an excellerant ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have that kit, works and looks great :clap:
    Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information