Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like
    That would be a very interesting test. When you use your coating keep in mind that after you coat the vehicle, the applicator pad will still be damp with coating. Instead of letting it go wasted, try your test. I actually coated a bunch of things (4-wheeler plastic/work stool/cell phone/computer touch screen/garage door/gutter/mailbox). :biggrin:

I was going to get a black test panel and hit it with a wool cutting pad/compound to purposefully create buffer swirls. I was going to coat 1/2 the panel to study how well the product could fill. I`d also love to study how much this product could be layered. The round blob I installed on the back glass of my car is super thick(and cloudy because it wasn`t worked in). How great would it be to almost create a totally additional disposable/sacrificial layer(.5 mil) that could substitute as a mach clear coat. Any swirls/Rids would be in the coating instead of the substrate clear underneath. Kinda like creating a true barrier/force field for your paint. You could do full orange peel removal on OEM clears and recreate the film build with the coating without jeapordizing the integrity of the paint to wear/UV. Endless possibilities......

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting ideas indeed!

I`m very interested to see how your hood holds up. Any idea how much clear you took off on it?

I was also going to ask you if you applied it to the wheels? I`m curious how it holds up against the heat and wheel cleaners. Not an issue on my car but for cars that don`t get washed often and require more than soap and water to get clean it will be interesting to see if it can withstand them.

I`ll try and conduct the marker test next week (providing it arrives in time). I remember seeing a similar test being done back in the NXT day to show that it had light cleaners in it. A test like this should definitely make for a good reference for those considering getting their hands on it.

Rasky
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    I was going to get a black test panel and hit it with a wool cutting pad/compound to purposefully create buffer swirls. I was going to coat 1/2 the panel to study how well the product could fill.
    David, my buddy kc did a test recently to find out if the OC could fill in scratches and swirls. I`m sure he`ll post something up soon but what we found was that the swirls and scratches were still visible and that surface prep was essential to ensure the success of the OC. I guess that`s probably why Dr. G has all those controls about how OC is sold.

Post Thanks / Like

12 month review!!

12 MONTH REVIEW!!

Here is my 1 year observation on the Optimum Opti-Coating. The product is holding up incredibly well. Even after weekly hand washes with Dawn Dish soap and monthly Touchless car washing. As a refresher, the entire Driver?s side ? of this vehicle has been treated with the coating. This includes paint, chrome, textured trim, plastic and glass. No Wax, Sealants, Waterless washes or Quick Detailers have ever been used anywhere on the exterior of this vehicle. There are no discernable differences or loss in protection, beading, shine, gloss with the product or vehicle thus far. It has outperformed my expectations in every aspect that I can imagine. The only section that has ?failed? is the portion of the windshield where the wipers run over(due to friction). The areas around it have diminished quite a bit, but are still shedding water very differently than the uncoated passenger side. Bottom line, the product is sticking to the finish like a refrigerator magnet!! Still easy to clean, does not get heavy build up of road oils, even at it?s most dirtiest moment. Just a quick blast of the pressure washer removes 90% of any dirt buildup. Most conclusions are based on comparisons to the characteristics of the uncoated sides as well as past vehicles I?ve cared for throughout my 20+ years of reconditioning vehicles.

Here?s a quick video I filmed with my Smart phone to document some of the characteristics on the coating:

In addition to the coating testing, Dawn dish soap has not damaged any part of this vehicle thus far. Even bare metal components show no signs of corrosion like many people warned. The paint is as glossy on the untreated side as it is on the treated one. Rubber seals, weather stripping and belt moldings are still in like new condition. And this vehicle is not garage kept and can stay running for up to 8+ hours per day in the brutally hot S. Florida salty environment.

As a side note, because this vehicles has a tendency of spending up to 8+ hours per day at various Body Shops, there is a slight bit of overspray on it. This undoubtedly has effected the way the water beads as the water is beading on a surface speckled with paint overspray rather than a bare one. After discussing this issue with Dr. G, he supplied me with their Water Spot Remover. I will be testing this product, coupled with a fine grade clay bar to clean the coating. Even though the coating is still strongly on the surface, it may require additional topcoat cleaning as a maintenance type of service. This may vary based on climate and environmental surroundings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave - that video speaks well of the durability of OOC after 1 year in S. FL sun.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never seen any thing like it for a year later. Good stuff.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Awesome study!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    David, can you give any further updates?
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I`d probably die of exposure."

Post Thanks / Like
    Incredible write up and review David! The updates show the same top quality in your follow through as was shown in the initial writeup. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks david. very good info and test. i have the ooc 2.0 and just waitng for this pollen to go away. the water spot remover would be a product i`d be very interested in having... let us know how it works for you....

Honorary Master Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    David WOW! I remember when I sprayed the paint with my power washer one year ago an it look unreal as the water separated in all the areas you had tape off. Amazing results.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information