Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Z2Pro - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

So, I finally got around to using Zaino (Z2Pro + ZFX) today on the IS350 and I figured I`d share my thoughts....

Okay, lets start with the ugly...

The only thing ugly was me. So, getting that out of the way, we can get to the important stuff.

I`m going to go over my regimen today to give you an idea of the process I used. I would also like to say (before I continue) that I have LONG been a doubter about Zaino and I know it has a loyal following so I`m going to write this OPINION as fair as I know how...

I started by washing with Dawn and I apologized deeply to my beauty before doing so but wanted to ensure I gave the product a fair shot. I think clayed, using the Zaino Red Clay and Last Touch (1:1) as my clay lube. Worried that the last touch may have left something behind, I washed the car again with dawn to ensure there was nothing left on the paint. After the second Dawn wash I did an IPA wipedown to ensure a blank canvas.

Next, I grabbed my Z2Pro mixed about 1 ounce of it with 4 drops of ZFX and shook it for a good 2 minutes. I used the provided Zaino applicator. I tried applying it VERY thin but one of the immediate problems I noticed (for me) was that once this stuff goes on, it becomes invisible. It was almost impossible to see the covered vs. the non-covered areas. White cars are tough enough to was (IMO) they are especially tough with Zaino.

After the first application, I let the product sit for about 30 minutes. It was a hot day in Toronto (yesterday) but humidity wasn`t too bad, and the product was drying pretty quickly. The product seemed to come off easy enough, although it didn`t feel all that smooth at first (I came to realize I probably didn`t get it all off at first).

The first coat was followed by two more coats. I realized I had poured out too much product in the dispenser, as I did not use the full ounce (from the three coats). I had about a 1/4 ounce left over, which was eventually rinsed out.

When I completed the third coat, I gave the car a once over with Z8. This is when I saw the first noticeable change in look and feel. The car just "popped" a bit more but became SIGNIFICANTLY slicker. This was very important to me because up until that point, I was VERY underwhelmed by the product.

However, now came the big test... pull the car out into the driveway...

So, how did it look on the old Tungsten Pearl IS350? I would have attached pictures, but frankly I don`t think the pictures would show the condition of the car.

This is probably the first time I`ve said this, but IMHO, this was probably the shiniest my car has ever looked. I did not think it looked "plasticky" at all. The shine was truly awesome. So, having said that, where would I rank my Zaino experience?

Believe it or not... it`s not that high! Why? I found the product a bit too tough to work with for my liking. I don`t really know how to explain it other than... "I wasn`t having fun while using it". I`m not sure if it was the invisibility or the mixing or the shaking, or the removing or the three applications, but I just though it was a big PITA!!!

I think the look was phenomenal, I`d be lying to say otherwise but it just seemed like a lot more work than my fave, Wet Diamond. Overall, I`m going to put it in a tie for third with NXT 2.0, here`s why...

Wet Diamond feels slicker. Yeah, I said it, it`s slicker by quite a lot IMO. My surface is now slick but not Wet Diamond slick. Wet Diamond is MUCH less finicky and generally easier to use (especially on white). I also prefered using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 over Zaino because it is very similar to Wet Diamond (just more expensive).

I put it in a tie with NXT 2.0 because NXT 2.0 is easier to use but Zaino does not stain trim and on the basis, Zaino deserves at least a tie. Zaino is also the best looking product I`ve put on my car but the difference between it and something like Wet Diamond is not significant enough to warrant the extra work!

In the end... I`m glad I got it and I will continue to use it (probably as my winter wax to see if the "alleged" durability works better for me than 476s did). If nothing else I think the ZFX Z2Pro mixing is great marketing and makes you feel like you are really doing something special. It is a great looking product no doubt about it and I understand the loyal following.

It will remain in use the User Name rotation, it`s just that it can`t take the starting job from my Ace, Wet Diamond!
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the excellent and honest review!

I agree, Wet Diamond is easier to use and slicker.

I have found Zaino Z2Pro to have better longevity, but that doesn`t really matter to me because I apply sealants for FUN!!! So I may apply a sealant every 2 weeks, just because I like doing it.

I like both products. Just depends on my mood swing that day.:drool5::drool5::drool5:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    I have found Zaino Z2Pro to have better longevity, but that doesn`t really matter to me because I apply sealants for FUN!!! So I may apply a sealant every 2 weeks, just because I like doing it.
    I`m looking forward to that in the hopes that Z2Pro will be my winter "go to" product!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh one last thing... I`m utterly amazed that I am about to write this... but Z2Pro looked better with each application and definitely looked even better when I hit it with Z8.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Oh one last thing... I`m utterly amazed that I am about to write this... but Z2Pro looked better with each application and definitely looked even better when I hit it with Z8.
    Z2Pro + Z8 is a knockout!:drool5:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should probably try Z8, but adding additional layers of Z2Pro have never done much for me. It`s fine by me though. The protection and shine is already there after two coats for me. Personally, I don`t care for the tedious process of applying Z2Pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the review!

Your findings are pretty much the same as mine too. :cornut:

I would be curious to see how it works for you on a darker colored car though, as I don`t think you would notice if the Z2 was smearing a white.
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve only used Blackfire for going on two weeks now, but from my experience Zaino Z-2 has lasted longer "bead wise" than any other product I`ve tried.

4-5 coats of Z-2 along with Z-8 makes a vehicle look incredible. jmo

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I finally got around to using Zaino (Z2Pro + ZFX) today on the IS350 and I figured I`d share my thoughts....

Okay, lets start with the ugly...

The only thing ugly was me. So, getting that out of the way, we can get to the important stuff.

I`m going to go over my regimen today to give you an idea of the process I used. I would also like to say (before I continue) that I have LONG been a doubter about Zaino and I know it has a loyal following so I`m going to write this OPINION as fair as I know how...

I started by washing with Dawn and I apologized deeply to my beauty before doing so but wanted to ensure I gave the product a fair shot. I think clayed, using the Zaino Red Clay and Last Touch (1:1) as my clay lube. Worried that the last touch may have left something behind, I washed the car again with dawn to ensure there was nothing left on the paint. After the second Dawn wash I did an IPA wipedown to ensure a blank canvas.

Next, I grabbed my Z2Pro mixed about 1 ounce of it with 4 drops of ZFX and shook it for a good 2 minutes. I used the provided Zaino applicator. I tried applying it VERY thin but one of the immediate problems I noticed (for me) was that once this stuff goes on, it becomes invisible. It was almost impossible to see the covered vs. the non-covered areas. White cars are tough enough to was (IMO) they are especially tough with Zaino.

After the first application, I let the product sit for about 30 minutes. It was a hot day in Toronto (yesterday) but humidity wasn`t too bad, and the product was drying pretty quickly. The product seemed to come off easy enough, although it didn`t feel all that smooth at first (I came to realize I probably didn`t get it all off at first).

The first coat was followed by two more coats. I realized I had poured out too much product in the dispenser, as I did not use the full ounce (from the three coats). I had about a 1/4 ounce left over, which was eventually rinsed out.

When I completed the third coat, I gave the car a once over with Z8. This is when I saw the first noticeable change in look and feel. The car just "popped" a bit more but became SIGNIFICANTLY slicker. This was very important to me because up until that point, I was VERY underwhelmed by the product.

However, now came the big test... pull the car out into the driveway...

So, how did it look on the old Tungsten Pearl IS350? I would have attached pictures, but frankly I don`t think the pictures would show the condition of the car.

This is probably the first time I`ve said this, but IMHO, this was probably the shiniest my car has ever looked. I did not think it looked "plasticky" at all. The shine was truly awesome. So, having said that, where would I rank my Zaino experience?

Believe it or not... it`s not that high! Why? I found the product a bit too tough to work with for my liking. I don`t really know how to explain it other than... "I wasn`t having fun while using it". I`m not sure if it was the invisibility or the mixing or the shaking, or the removing or the three applications, but I just though it was a big PITA!!!

I think the look was phenomenal, I`d be lying to say otherwise but it just seemed like a lot more work than my fave, Wet Diamond. Overall, I`m going to put it in a tie for third with NXT 2.0, here`s why...

Wet Diamond feels slicker. Yeah, I said it, it`s slicker by quite a lot IMO. My surface is now slick but not Wet Diamond slick. Wet Diamond is MUCH less finicky and generally easier to use (especially on white). I also prefered using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 over Zaino because it is very similar to Wet Diamond (just more expensive).

I put it in a tie with NXT 2.0 because NXT 2.0 is easier to use but Zaino does not stain trim and on the basis, Zaino deserves at least a tie. Zaino is also the best looking product I`ve put on my car but the difference between it and something like Wet Diamond is not significant enough to warrant the extra work!

In the end... I`m glad I got it and I will continue to use it (probably as my winter wax to see if the "alleged" durability works better for me than 476s did). If nothing else I think the ZFX Z2Pro mixing is great marketing and makes you feel like you are really doing something special. It is a great looking product no doubt about it and I understand the loyal following.

It will remain in use the User Name rotation, it`s just that it can`t take the starting job from my Ace, Wet Diamond!

Hey there User,

WOW, talk about a detailed steps of testing, very nice.
    You are 100% correct when you state that Zaino requires the extra work, but thats only the initial application. Afterwards, i haven`t tried anything easier to apply and remove until now, closest would be Klasse AIO.

Looks like you missed several steps in your experiment with Zaino products though. If i may point out the following,

First, and the most important step is to have a base, to apply Z2 onto, that would be ZAIO or ZCS, which is stated at Zaino`s site or you can call Sal direct. I know, I made the same mistake and i went through hell removing the stuff off my Truck.

Second, in your detailed steps i don`t see where you wiped the vehicle down with Z6 after your IPA and after every coat, if you didn`t then most likely you applied the fresh coat on top of the dried area`s that you missed to buff off, and that would put you through the ringer also. I don`t see you mentioning anything about dampening the Zaino applicator with Z6 and seasoning it with the product in this case Z2.

As for slickness, my Silverado, has Zaino on it and i sometimes see lady bugs trying to walk on it and they cant you actually see them sliding.

It actually take me 15min to apply Z5 with ZFX and then take me another 15 to buff it off my Silverado. I start on one side, and by the time i get all the way around, its ready to come off, But you gotta apply the Z6 first before applying any Z2,Z3 and Z5.

Durability of Zaino i think its great, but not better than Klasse Twins.
    But if anyone enjoys detailing his/her vehicle, then that should not be a concern.

I have tried Midnight Sun with mixed results, but for its looks its wonderful and durable. I haven`t applied or tried Wet diamond yet, but it should be arriving tomorrow or the next day, and this weekend i will apply it on my work truck after i dawn it and IPA wipe it down. Removing Midnight Sun off of it.

Im sure one day you will try it again.
    By now you realize that i am a very dedicated Zaino Fan, but always trying other products.

Think of it this way. Zaino is like an iPhone, many competitors and duplicators out there but there is only one Zaino and sooner or later, they will all fall by the waste side.

Claude

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    By now you realize that i am a very dedicated Zaino Fan, but always trying other products.
    Claude
    That`s me also. Many of my customers specifically request Zaino. A lot of guys on Corvette Forum really like it. So I give them what they want and get great results.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey UN,

I am glad to see that you have given Zaino a try!

One thing to consider next time is that, while some may think it is voodoo or just another way to spend money, try using Z6 between coats of Z2 Pro. The other thing to consider is what are you layering Z2 on top of? I tend to use Klasse AIO as a base. I do not like the Dawn wash, never did, never will, and I have had excellent results with the Z2 Pro on a KAIO base.

As I have also mentioned to you previously, using Z8 on top really does make a difference! It looks awesome!!!

Finally, I never judge a LSP right away but rather wait at least 24 hours or even after the first wash before evaluating the properties of the LSP. That way, the product has set-up properly, and you will see it at its best!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim,

You were bang on about Z8 and you`re also right about evaluating the LSP 24 hours later. Zaino kept looking better and better.

In fact, my car looked so good that I stayed at work late, to let the roads dry after a serious rain storm... I just couldn`t let her get dirty!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim,

You were bang on about Z8 and you`re also right about evaluating the LSP 24 hours later. Zaino kept looking better and better.

In fact, my car looked so good that I stayed at work late, to let the roads dry after a serious rain storm... I just couldn`t let her get dirty!!!
    True, and the Z8 will keep the paint very slick and keep it looking WET!
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent writeup and I bet 99% of all first time Zaino users would have close to the same review. I think Claude hit it on the head with the tweaks that you could try the next time too. The Z6 in between coats is key if you ask me, makes it easier on/off and makes it that much slicker. And you are working on what might be the most difficult color to make "pop" I think. It`s hard to make a huge difference on white.

Thanks for the writeup though, I bet you`ll try the Zaino again down the road and I bet it`ll creep up on your list.

Sorry for the stupid question, but what does IPA stand for, except for "idiotic poster award" for me after asking that question?
    2012 Acura TSX Special Edition, Crystal Black Pearl
    2007 Volvo XC90 Sport, Passion Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Z View Post
    Sorry for the stupid question, but what does IPA stand for, except for "idiotic poster award" for me after asking that question?
    LOL!!! Good one!!:

Isopropal Alcohol.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information