Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Blackfire question

How many coats is necessary to get good coverage and best longevity with this sealant? What is the cure time as well ? first coat cure time ? second coat? apply thin?? starting with wet applicator or dry primed with product??

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard to TID Bill:clap:
    On Blackfire Wet Diamond , I always recommend 2 coats very thin and let them cure 6-8hrs between them and also buff off after you let it haze . I always started with a dry app. and it should give you 3 - 6 months worth of protection.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    On Blackfire Wet Diamond , I always recommend 2 coats very thin and let them cure 6-8hrs between them and also buff off right after you finish putting each coat on. I always started with a dry app. and it should give you 3 - 6 months worth of protection.
    :iagree:

Thin is always better with any product. Only so much product can touch the paint. I like to put on two coats as well, but only to assure complete coverage. One coat can work fine, especially if you top with a nuba. :drool5:

:White Horse:
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    On Blackfire Wet Diamond , I always recommend 2 coats very thin and let them cure 6-8hrs between them and also buff off right after you finish putting each coat on. I always started with a dry app. and it should give you 3 - 6 months worth of protection.
    Thanks Angelo, BUFF RIGHT OFF ??? Thats a little different. Apply the thin coat and buff right away? then wait 6-8 hrs and re apply? Seems a little different than others I have used. I will try doing that when I receive the product THANKS AGAIN GUYS...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill,

Wet Diamond is designed to be completely easy to use...

You can let it haze until it is dry to the `swipe test` and remove or

You can apply and remove it wet

Or in between...

Here is my experience with each method...

Haze... If you choose to let it dry to haze completely make sure to give it 30 to 45 minutes. This is not how the product was designed to work but it will. The touchy area is that once you have let it start to haze, it must haze completely or you might get very light `shadows` or streaking in the paint.

Apply it wet and remove... This has become my favorite method. Apply it to a `section` (roughly about 1/4 of the car) then remove immediately. Like other high quality acrylic sealants you will feel the surface increase in slickness as you wipe it off.

In between- This would be Angelo`s method. Apply it to the whole car then remove. The only problem is that if you take a long time to apply it to the whole car or you have a large car it might start to haze. If it starts to haze you have entered the `Haze` section. In this case just let it set up for another 20-30 minutes and your fine.

The polymers in Wet Diamond are sometimes referred to as German super polymers and it uses a very advanced delivery system. The polymers reach the surface of the paint almost immediately and begin to link almost instantly. This is why you can remove the product wet (what is gonna stick has stuck) with no degradation in durability, coating thickness, or looks.

You should wait several hours (if possible, but don`t sweat it if you cannot) before exposing the vehicle to the elements. This way the linked polymers fully cure. To make sure that you don`t remove any uncured polymers during the second coat, it is best to give it 6 to 8 hours between coats. This isn`t necessary, in fact you can apply a second coat with in seconds of the first coat, you just may not realize the fullest potential from each coat.

I hope this helps and makes sense!

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect thanks

Thanks for the time you spent replying to my post. I have the order in already and will try it here next week...:biggrin:

Thread Information