Thread: Is this true?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this true?

I recently read an article by Prentice St. Clair who is the author of several detailing magazine articles and is the author of the video training series Detailing for Profit.

In the article (Back to School, America`s Car Care Business, August 2006) he stated:

"Automotive wax is not like floor wax, which builds up with repeated application. Automotive wax begins evaporating off the paint as soon as it is applied. In fact, as additional layers are applied, the solvents in the wax will break down any previous layers of wax that are on the paint."

"The same goes for the silly notion of applying a coat of wax after an application of paint sealant. The solvents in the wax will "melt" the sealant layer right off."

Is this ture? Do the solvents in wax melt the sealant right off? Do the solvents break down any previous additional layers of wax?

If it is not true, what specific basis can one use to justify their reasoning?

Thanks in advance.

Don

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find that hard to believe IMO
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I dont know

I never trust a man named Prentice :StarWars:
    Dave - confirmed egotist

Auto Detailing - Cuz you want to be noticed!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT? Where`s the Old Grey Whistle Test when you need one?:biggrin:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would give this as much as much deference as I do to outlandish statements in support of detailing products.

I`d ask the author to give his supporting proof for such statements. How could he measure such things? How did he track the results etc...
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    You know how `the french` are.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my continuing research into my original post I have gathered additional information. Here is a copy and paste from Meguiar`s Online posted by Mike Phillips, August 9, 2004:

A Layerable wax, is a wax that the protective ingredients used in the formula (natural and synthetic), are such that the protective layer left behind will not only adhere to the paint, but in subsequent applications, will adhere to itself. It also means that the carrying agents, be they solvent, water or something else, cannot be strong enough or in high enough concentrations to re-liquefy the previously applied layer, thus removing it during your attempt to add another layer.

Layerable waxes are primarily pure waxes, or protectants (as synthetic formulas are referred to) that do not contain chemical cleaners, or solvents that will remove the previous layer.

There is an exception to this rule and that is that it is possible to first apply a cleaner wax, and then apply a pure wax or pure synthetic over it.

A surface, such as an automotive paint, can only hold so much product before all you`re doing is removing all subsequent coatings applied to the surface.

To a certain degree, Phillips seems to support St. Clair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Until actual scientific measurements are done, no one knows the truth about the question of layering, no matter how authoritatively they assert their opinion. Fortunately, a chap at Detailing World claims to have access to the necessary equipment and will be performing tests to confirm or disconfirm the question of whether it is possible to layer a carnauba wax or a synthetic sealant. TID does not permit me to provide the link, but do a search for a thread titled "Thickness of Wax Layers?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akimel View Post
    ... TID does not permit me to provide the link, but do a search for a thread titled "Thickness of Wax Layers?"
    Interesting, that could potentially kill off several detailing myths and perhaps provide us addicts with a little peace of mind ... or not!:w00t:

To add a little ease, whichever search engine you use, the search title should be "detailing world and thickness of wax layers." Then scroll down for the above named thread.:wink:
    Never cut what you can untie.

TOGWT
    [ Is this ture?[sic] Do the solvents in wax melt the sealant right off? Do the solvents break down any previous additional layers of wax?

If it is not true, what specific basis can one use to justify their reasoning?]

Provided the sealant the wax is subsequently applied to has formed a molecular bond with the paint surface the solvents will have very little impact. Much like applying a wax that contains solvents to a cured polyurethane clear coat.

Layering
    There is a lot of discussion about whether or not it is possible to layer Carnauba on a paint surface, it works on leather boots (providing you neutralize the solvent) and in my experience it also works, up to a point, on a cars paint service.

I prefer the word ?film? (1-0.5 ? (0.004 ? 0.02 Mil) as opposed to ?layer?, a film more accurately describes a thinly applied sealant or wax, were as a layer tends to describe a thicker covering. Some specialty paint protection systems can have subsequent film added to increase protection and paint appearance, systems must set-up or cross-link prior to application of subsequent coats. Depending on the product type (polymer sealant or Carnauba wax) times vary from a few hours to days.

Usually a wax with a high solvent content will remove the previous layer; but if you apply another low-solvent product (Victoria Concours Wax ) on top of one that has already set-up (i.e. the solvents have evaporated) you can increase its density (up to a point) two to three applications are usually considered optimum One thing that will negate the applied product density is lack of clarity, the base coat (that contains the vehicle?s colour) is covered / protected by a clear coat of urethane paint, which as well as providing protection is clear to enable the paint colour to show through and provide the colour with depth.

There is also a technique known as `Spit Shining? that will provide `layers` of wax, but that`s the subject of another post

An extract from one of a series of 110 in-depth, unbiased detailing articles ? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and thanks to all who responded.

TOGWT great information. I`ve read your "spit shine" article. Interesting reading.

Akimel and Going Mobile thanks for search tip. I found the site and the results so far are very interesting. I hope they do a test with sealant and then a layer of wax.

Best always - Don

Thread Information