Post Thanks / Like

Smile First Time Using Blackfire Wet Diamond

Finally tried out my Blackfire Wet Diamond on my black Camry last Week

I wanted a good clean surface to apply it on so here is a run down of my prep process:

Washed 2bM w/gg plus 1b for wheels with Meg`s Gold Class / 2 Meg`s MF Wash Mitts / Several Wheel Brushes
    Pulled into Garage and clayed with Meg`s Smooth Surface Clay & QD while still wet
    Washed again 1b w/gg with Meg`s GC & clean MF Wash Mitt using CR Spotless DI water
    Dried with Airwand to speed up the drying process.
    Polished paint to remove light any light swirls & towel marks with M205 UFP, G110 and W9207 Finishing Pad
    Wiped down with a 50/50 IPA/Water solution

Before I go any further with my review, I want to qualify my skill level here. I am a newb and still a bit of a hack. I only started taking care of my own cars last July when I bought my 2009 Black Camry Hybrid. I have since become a fanatic. My experience with applying wax has been with M21 and M26 using the G110 to apply and remove. I have never successfully applied them without getting streaking. I can`t seem to apply thin enough.

I applied Souveran about 4 weeks ago and it went on and off pefectly and left no streaks for the first time. I was thrilled. It was also the first time I applied wax by hand using a foam applicator. I find I prefer this method over using the G110.

The reason I went into the above is because for the First coat of Wet Diamond I made 3 mistakes.

1. I didn`t shake the bottle well enough and the application I applied to the hood was not mixed properly.

2. I applied it too thick on much of the car.

3. I let it dry too long (I applied to the whole car and then dressed all the tires)

When I buffed to remove the hazed product, 80% buffed out easily and the balance gave me some difficulty. When I pulled the car out into the sun, there were streaks that would not buff out.

I left the car overnight to cure before applying the 2nd coat. This time I decide to follow the directions on the bottle. I started with the hood again. Grabbed a new foam applicator pad and made sure the BFWD was well shaken. I applied a thin coat to half the hood and waited for it to haze and dry. To my supprise it only took a few minutes and it passed the swipe test. It buffed off with no effort at all. I did the rest of the car the same way and the process couldn`t be easier. Pulled the car out into the sun for a final wipedown and not a streak to be found and the finish looked beautiful. User_Name is correct, this is definitey the slickest my paint has ever felt.

That same day my Blackfire Midnight Sun Kit arrived so I figured the next morning I would try out the "Wet-Ice Over Fire"

The next morning at around 9 am I approached my beloved Camry with a couple of clean Ultimate Wipe MF Towels and carefully removed any dust from the paint and the car is ready for BFMS. I decided I was going to leave hood 1/2 Blackfire Wet Diamond and 1/2 Blackfire Midnight Sun so I would have a before and after comparison available.

First thing I did was apply a 3rd coat of Wet Diamond to half the hood, let haze and buff. I discarded that applicator and MF towel for the duration. I applied Midnight Sun to the balance of the car a panel at a time in a wipe on and buff off manor. I did not notice much of a decrease in slickness after the application of Midnight Sun.

I need to note a strange observation at this point. When applying the Midnight Sun over the cured Wet Diamond, it was almost like it didn`t want to stick. I would apply the wax with the foam applicator in a circular motion and there would be good size areas where there was no wax. I would have to go over the same areas serveral times before getting complete coverage. I will be interested to hear if anyone else has noticed this as well.

I was unable to see any difference in looks from the Wet Diamond alone to the "Wet-Ice Over Fire". Maybe the Wet Diamond was too slick and I buffed away all the Midnight Sun? I drove to Meguiar`s Thursday Night Open Garage later that afternoon and I kept checking until dark to see if I could see any difference on the hood in different lighting and I never did.

I am anxious to try Blackfire Midnight Sun on it`s own as I favor carnauba`s over sealants. That will be my waxing project in 4 or 5 weeks.

Right now the paint looks and feels fantastic. I hope the slickness holds up for a few washes. I love the way a microfiber glides across the surface.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Great review, thanks for the information.

After reading your review, I had some thoughts. What was the temp/humidity like when you were applying it?

I have decided that applying/removing most LSPs is much easier in the drier Toronto climate, compared to the more humid NJ climate. Thus, when I used Wet Diamond for the first time, I tried it in a variety of ways to see how easy it was in all cases.

For me, I found it came of SUPER easy, no matter how long I left it on a particular panel, but I think you are accurate when you say it comes off easiest when you follow the exact directions. It tries unbelievable fast and comes off like a charm.

What I did notice after my first use is there was an area on top of wifey`s CR-V that I just missed (I was lazy so I didn`t use my step stool to do the top of the car). It was a small area and you could tell I just didn`t wipe properly and probably missed it altogether. It had "baked" on to the paint and was really hard to remove (ended up taking it off with M80 and reapplying).

Having said that, your findings might mean that the on/off ease *might* be affected by humidity and temp.

In all regards, I think we will both agree that following the directions is probably a good idea.

I`m also happy to read that you found the product ultra slick. I did wifey`s car again this weekend and I still cannot get over the slickness. It is just on a different level than anything else I`ve used.

So, what`s the final verdict on Wet Diamond? Is it going to become a permanent part of your arsenal? How about some pics?
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff the Blackfire Wet Diamond. I usually polish my wife`s SUV with Blackfire Polishing Enhancement them apply the wet diamond and the next day follow up with midnight sun for that fire over ice look.:clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
    Right now the paint looks and feels fantastic. I hope the slickness holds up for a few washes. I love the way a microfiber glides across the surface.

Mike
    I agree... It is some super slick stuff!!! Personally, since I like applying it so much, when it`s not quite as slick any more, I just slap on a coat of Z8 or another coat of WD!
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike
    Forgot about this...

I did wifey`s car (prior to this weekend) about 8 weeks ago (maybe 7) and after I washed it, I wanted to feel how slick it felt. Keep in mind, this is a DD, parked in the elements 24/7 and regular exposure to bird bombs, rain, pollen, dust etc...

While the car did not feel as good as it did on the day I first did it, I was amazed at the level of slickness after two months. It was as good as most other LSPs feel on my car immediately after use.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    I agree... It is some super slick stuff!!! Personally, since I like applying it so much, when it`s not quite as slick any more, I just slap on a coat of Z8 or another coat of WD!
    I don`t have any Z8 on my shelves but I do have a bottle or 2 of the Meg`s Ultimate Quick Detailer. That will leave the BFWD nice and slick after a light mist of it also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Mike,

Great review, thanks for the information.

After reading your review, I had some thoughts. What was the temp/humidity like when you were applying it?
    My pleasure.

I did some searching online and the humidity here that day was 62% and the temp was 81 degrees (although it felt hotter in the garage). I don`t know if that is enough humidity to affect the sealant or not as I rarely think about humidity here on the west coast.

I`m also happy to read that you found the product ultra slick. I did wifey`s car again this weekend and I still cannot get over the slickness. It is just on a different level than anything else I`ve used.
    Yeah, I spent way too much time sliding a clean MF towel on top of my hood and trying to catch it before it slid off. I just can`t figure why my wife didn`t think it was as cool as I did?

So, what`s the final verdict on Wet Diamond? Is it going to become a permanent part of your arsenal? How about some pics?
    Yes, it is now the 2nd member of my rotation. I have no doubts that Blackfire Midnight Sun will become the 1st member. In fact until they have a BOGO for Souveran, I only have Wet Diamond and Midnight Sun. I will no longer be using waxes that stain trim.

Here is my permanant arsenal:

• Midnight Sun (I prefer Carnauba`s over sealants)
    • Wet Diamond
    • Souveran (When I finally purchase it)

I`ll see about pictures after the next wash.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Luster,

The paint on my Camry scratches so easily I stopped doing any kind of quick detailing in between washes. I just wash it once a week now. And since I started using the ever so versatile ONR, it isn`t at all the hassle it used to be. I keep Meguiar`s Last Touch in my trunk for bird bombs and bug guts though.

Would you say an ONR wash will bring back some of the slickness?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Luster,

Would you say an ONR wash will bring back some of the slickness?

Mike
    ONR does have some "slickness" characteristics. I`m not sure what`s in it, but it does add a little something to the finish. Good choice.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found about the same. Blackfire Wet Diamond will begin to loose some of the initial slickness around the two month mark and in many cases it is still slicker then most of the other products are initially. While slickness doesn`t equal protection, it is easy to tell that a large majority of the initial sealant is intact and chugging along.

In my experience, Blackfire will begin to loose its crazy initial slickness after 2 to 3 months, but still remain slick (just not as much) up to 5 months, and bead water up to 7 months.

If you want to restore the slickness, it is good to apply the Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant, at around the 2 month mark, then as needed afterwards.
    Since most of our competitors sealants aren`t even durable enough to last two months, I`ll take two months of crazy initial slickness instead!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mr. Helme and all CMA employees:

In the future and in the event my wife peeks at this site (or a thread I am posting in) can we keep the company line that BF Wet Diamond MUST be reapplied every 4 weeks or you risk total erosion of your automotive paint?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mr. Helme and all CMA employees:

In the future and in the event my wife peeks at this site (or a thread I am posting in) can we keep the company line that BF Wet Diamond MUST be reapplied every 4 weeks or you risk total erosion of your automotive paint?
    I told my wife every 2 weeks.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I told my wife every 2 weeks.
    That`s the spirit Bill!!! Every two weeks + 5 coats each time!!! No less than 18.25 hours working time!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    I have found about the same. Blackfire Wet Diamond will begin to loose some of the initial slickness around the two month mark and in many cases it is still slicker then most of the other products are initially. While slickness doesn`t equal protection, it is easy to tell that a large majority of the initial sealant is intact and chugging along.

In my experience, Blackfire will begin to loose its crazy initial slickness after 2 to 3 months, but still remain slick (just not as much) up to 5 months, and bead water up to 7 months.

If you want to restore the slickness, it is good to apply the Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant, at around the 2 month mark, then as needed afterwards.
    Since most of our competitors sealants aren`t even durable enough to last two months, I`ll take two months of crazy initial slickness instead!
    Todd,

As encouraging as it is to know that Blackfire gives me all those levels of slickness and protection for up to 7 months. You should include as a caveat in these statements that it is also quite acceptable and perfectly normal for some TID members to apply another coat or two of Blackfire after only 4 or 5 weeks.

Mike

Thread Information