Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Longest lasting product

zoomzoom with a recent post has reminded me that I have been wanting to ask this question for a while;

What is your record for the longest lasting sealant, or wax for that matter, and -exactly- how did you apply the product?

As for me I am a true Klasse believer though I have NOT used any other sealant, my belief is that if one is truly satisfied there is no reason to switch to another prouduct, and I am 1000% happy with the Klasse twins on both metal and gel coat.

In my case I am very comfortable with going six months between apps, very-very comfortable at this time interval, the finish on the Subaru still looks perfect and the water is still beading/sheeting if that really is an indicator of something good..

My procedure is first a quick wash using Griot`s car wash-I love the stuff, a thorough detar using whatever product I can grab first, usually Turtle Wax gel bug/tar, then a very quick wash and dry. Next is a good claying followed by a very good wash with a `heavy` dose of car wash-this will take me a good two hours and its time to park it inside for the evening.

The following day the procedure begins, a polish with whatever I feel like for a few times then at least one time with only pure AIO. Next its the SG and here I will usually go at least three times, though I have on occasion used 5-6 apps, and yes there is, albeit a slight, deeper appearance on the silver Subaru, but alot more difference on the dark blue Silverado.

The `drying` times do differ on the given day-sometimes I will wait only about 45 minutes, sometimes a couple of hours but usually always on the final coat I will go overnight.

The last buff is when I put alot of time into the procedure-cotton first, mf cloths next, with lastly a good machine buff with mf bonnets on the Cyclo.

Additionally with the exception of the windshield-RainX here- all the glass gets AIO along with the tail lights and head lights.

Total time - an honest ten hours work over a day and a half-but its still relaxing for me the few times a year I do it.

By the way, after resisting using the machine to apply SG for a long time, I now machine apply the AIO and SG-this results in a much thinner app and I believe that this is key with any sealant, of course its alot easier on the body also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m always searching for a durability. Two of my cars live outside. One, in particular, won`t retain a LSP for more than a month. I`ve used 476 and 845, 1000P, JW AJ, and a number of other products known for durability. Well, nothing sticks to the car. This coming weekend, I`m going to re-polish its paint and use DG 105. After layering for a few weeks, it`ll be topped with 915. If this doesn`t work, I give up. :cursing:

TOGWT
    Unusual for a polymer not to exibit durability, perhaps there is something on the paint surface (oils/wax/silicone)

Try a paint cleaning product (Hi-Temp, PrepSol or IPA) after you`ve washed and used detailer`s clay on the paint surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Unusual for a polymer not to exibit durability, perhaps there is something on the paint surface (oils/wax/silicone)

Try a paint cleaning product (Hi-Temp, PrepSol or IPA) after you`ve washed and used detailer`s clay on the paint surface.
    I`d considered that, as well. I use IPA and Hi-Temp Silicone Remover, but I haven`t tried PrepSol. The car is polished several times a year, the panels are wiped down at least 3 times each, and no LSP sticks for more than several weeks. The only thing I haven`t tried is DG`s 601 bonding agent, though I`ve used various AIOs to prep the paint for the sealants. It`s extremely frustrating.

Edit: Let me give an example. Approximately six weeks ago, I washed the car and applied ZCS to one side and JW AJ to the other. It was washed again ~10 days later before a full detail. The AJ side had some protection, but the ZCS was gone. I attributed this to a lack of proper prep, then clayed, did a 2-step polish, used JW PS and two layers of AJ. I washed the car last Saturday and water was pooling on the hood. <sigh>

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think I`ve ever been able to go more than 3-4 weeks with out reapplying my wax/sealant...

I`m interested to see what others say though. :p
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I don`t think I`ve ever been able to go more than 3-4 weeks with out reapplying my wax/sealant...

I`m interested to see what others say though. :p
    This is my problem as well. I was changing products every week, but that got old quick. lol

I have seen 6-7 months out of Zaino, before I broke down, and washed & re-waxed my SUV. I may try the Collinite products starting in Oct & Nov and see how long they last.

How long has anyone seen out of Blackfire?

TOGWT
    Only thing I could suggest that`s causing this type of problem with cros-linking is silicone interference. A friend of mine swears by Dow Corning? OS-2 Silicone Cleaner and Surface Prep Solvent, I`ve never tried it ... just a thought

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Only thing I could suggest that`s causing this type of problem with cros-linking is silicone interference. A friend of mine swears by Dow Corning? OS-2 Silicone Cleaner and Surface Prep Solvent, I`ve never tried it ... just a thought
    Thank you for the tip. I`ll see if I can get my hands on some.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using Klasse AIO for a while now, and i applied 2 coats of it on my previous work van and topped it with 3 coats Klasse Glaze. I did it to test the durability, and i did not wash the vehicle for 6 months. The van gets driven every day, i have put 26k miles on it, and it gets driven in NY. and i gotta say Klasse is some good stuff, the shine is still there but now its gone. My wifes jeep (Stone White) had 2 coats Z2 on top of ZAIO and this vehicle gets driven everyday about 26miles, it gets washed once a week and it still looks great after a yr. I stripped it last weekend and i applied Blackfire Paste on it to see what it looks like and test the durability. First coat of blackfire on the vehicle, i was gonna toss it, but after i applied the second coat, it looks much better. the vehicle is slick and lets see how long this is going to last.

Claude

Post Thanks / Like
    Why were you going to toss it after 1st app? You didn`t like the looks of it, or hard to remove? Just curious

Post Thanks / Like
    Claude, I think you have given Klasse the ultimate test, six months without washing, in NYC !

I was going to ask if the water was still beading, but not having washed the van would have made the water bead, I think anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Klasse (Carlack 68) will outlast very many other sealants. Zaino Z2 ZFX`ed, and DG #105 are other choices when it comes to durable sealants. I personally like durable sealant on my daily driver, where I can just top it off with a nice carnauba wax every month or so, but personally see no need for it to last longer then 6 months anyway. After 6 months, it time to clay anyway, which will remove most of your protection anyway, therefore it will get resealed again. My winter choice protection is Duragloss #105 topped with Collinite 476S for my daily driver. Right now I have Zaino Z2 x3 ZFX`ed topped with CG Pete`s 53 for tightest beading action from affordable wax (vintage gives awesome beading too, but it is too expensive).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nosbusa1700 View Post
    This is my problem as well. I was changing products every week, but that got old quick. lol

I have seen 6-7 months out of Zaino, before I broke down, and washed & re-waxed my SUV. I may try the Collinite products starting in Oct & Nov and see how long they last.

How long has anyone seen out of Blackfire?
    I applied Blackfire to my wife`s car in late October of last year and it still beading water, although the beads are starting to get lazy. I took a picture of the beads about a month and a half ago and it was still pretty strong. Of course I am not saying this the norm, but it is what it is.

On my car, last Blackfired (two coats WD, two coats MS) detailed in early March, the car is beading like I just applied it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nosbusa1700 View Post
    Why were you going to toss it after 1st app? You didn`t like the looks of it, or hard to remove? Just curious
    it did not feel slick and the finished products just didnt look rich, like Souveran does after a single coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Claude, I think you have given Klasse the ultimate test, six months without washing, in NYC !

I was going to ask if the water was still beading, but not having washed the van would have made the water bead, I think anyway.
    it was beading and sheeting, without a problem.
    but that vehicle is now gone and i have another one to do.
    people think im crazy for waxing a work van, but if its going to sit in my driveway or around my house its gonna have to be clean.

Claude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information