Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    TOGWT

New polymer paint sealant

Optimum Opti-Coat - Optimum Research & Development

[We (or the installer) guarantee the Opti-Coat against failure in the sense of durability. We don`t guarantee against hard water spots or etching from eggs, bird bombs, etc. We sell it like this: ? Opti-Coat is a paint sealant on steroids. Think of it as giving you all the benefits of a wax or sealant (gloss, shine, protection) but with at least 3 years durability?.] Anthony Orosco

Has any professional (they won`t release it to non-pros) Beta-tested or tried this product?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Optimum Opti-Coat - Optimum Research & Development

[We (or the installer) guarantee the Opti-Coat against failure in the sense of durability. We don`t guarantee against hard water spots or etching from eggs, bird bombs, etc. We sell it like this: ? Opti-Coat is a paint sealant on steroids. Think of it as giving you all the benefits of a wax or sealant (gloss, shine, protection) but with at least 3 years durability?.] Anthony Orosco

Has any professional (they won`t release it to non-pros) Beta-tested or tried this product?
    3 years, huh? Better get the polish right. I did see a review on another forum. If it`s true, I want some.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by biolink View Post
    3 years, huh? Better get the polish right. I did see a review on another forum. If it`s true, I want some.
    Not only the polish, but the application procedure must be perfect, or your`re gonna be wetsanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronkh View Post
    Not only the polish, but the application procedure must be perfect, or your`re gonna be wetsanding.
    Wetsanding? Is it that tough? Yikes!

Post Thanks / Like
    [We (or the installer) guarantee the Opti-Coat against failure in the sense of durability. We don`t guarantee against hard water spots or etching from eggs, bird bombs, etc.
    So that`s it`s weak spot huh? Interesting how a coating that could add measureable thickness to your finish could be eaten through from bird poo. I wonder if you`ll compromise the coating if you attempt to clean the water spots with an ABC type wash? I`m looking forward to trying it on my next company car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I understand this...

It lasts THREE YEARS, but doesn`t protect against bird bombs and water spots? Well, what about tree sap, acid rain, everyday pollutants etc...

It seems to me to be a pretty outlandish claim, not backed by a whole lot of substance.
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Wetsanding? Is it that tough? I want it!
    Optimum says "abrasive".

One of the testers on another board said he had to wet sand it, that nothing else worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronkh View Post
    Optimum says "abrasive".

One of the testers on another board said he had to wet sand it, that nothing else worked.
    Were the rest of the reviews good? Maybe I don`t want it after all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Were the rest of the reviews good? Maybe I don`t want it after all.
    Even that review was good. Not sure wether he did it on purpose or got aggressive.

Biggest problem is that if you streak or use too much product like
    os, upgp or cs, then it aint for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    delete please

Post Thanks / Like
    Just another lesson learned fairly early in life:

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Example:

For Sale: 1967 Corvette Roadster 427/435 ALL ORIGINAL, Perfect!!! $14,500!
    Uh-huh.

3 years? I don`t think so.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

TOGWT
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    So that`s it`s weak spot huh? Interesting how a coating that could add measureable thickness to your finish could be eaten through from bird poo. I wonder if you`ll compromise the coating if you attempt to clean the water spots with an ABC type wash? I`m looking forward to trying it on my next company car.
    Bird excrement is very acidic and will compromise any sealant or paint finish. I didn`t know that this product adds a `measurable thickness` to a finish.

This company and its founder (Optimum Research & Development - Dr. David Ghodoussi ) usually have excellent products without BS, that`s what`s made me so interested, even the guys I work with in the polymer industry are amazed at the claims, I hope to be positively convinced

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t know that this product adds a `measurable thickness` to a finish.
    Yup - some people are experiencing 2-4 microns of film build that is not deminishing over the long period of time.

TOGWT
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Yup - some people are experiencing 2-4 microns of film build that is not deminishing over the long period of time.
    Thanks David. I just saw this on Autopia

[For durability it is not affected by chemicals such as alcohol or prep sol, not to mention soaps. We have a customers truck coated with the product, and now over 100 thousand miles, and the coating is still going strong, resisting such things as bird bombs and a front full of insects(there is minimal etching, but much less than a non treated surface).
    For standards my testing involves beading, resistance to particle adhesion(it does not get as loaded as non treated surfaces, almost feeling like it has been clayed , while next to it it feels like sandpaper), gloss and film thickness. Upon installation we get 2-4 microns of film build, and the exact spot is measured on a regular basis, so far no reduction in thickness. For gloss it has retained it`s gloss (not a subjective reading but with a gloss scale) and the adjacent panel has faded (Imron paint, not base clear), showing to me that it provides good UV protection as well.] reparebrise

Upon installation we get 2-4 microns of film build, and the exact spot is measured on a regular basis, so far no reduction in thickness.

Clear coat 2-3Mils (50-76? (micron)) thickness; so 2-4? is substantial. If this applied thickness is sustainable it would have a massive impact on the car paint protection coatings industry

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much is it going to cost to buy? and will it be easy to do any correction work (swirls)?
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information