Post Thanks / Like

Another Wax Option

Much is said about Blackfire wax/sealant here at TID. Don`t get me wrong, I love them but I am going to throw out another very viable option. I take care of a friend`s car occasionally with Collinte 845. I polished her car with FPII and applied 845 around the middle of Feb. More than 90 days later she she still has a tight water bead pattern form a recent rain storm. I have been very impressed by the durability and better than average looks of 845. I don`t think it will win any awards for shine but it does have a solid very clean look. The ease of application and price of Collinite 845 make it a solid choice for any car.

Please chime in with your OTC alternative.......Mine is 845.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

TOGWT
    A synthetic (polymer-based) wax like Collinite is one of, if not the best wax of its type for durability (for a company car, a daily driver, or for Winter protection- on top of a polymer sealant its almost bulletproof)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    A synthetic (polymer-based) wax like Collinite is one of, if not the best wax of its type for durability (for a company car, a daily driver, or for Winter protection- on top of a polymer sealant its almost bulletproof)
    Interesting, I never thought of using Collinite as a topper. I am still a bit skeptical of using anything with a solvent as a topper to a sealant. I know this has been discussed in other threads, but in the back of my head I always think the topper is disturbing the base sealant. That being said, I still use Blackfire or P21S over FMJ or Wet Diamond and the looks are killer.

Thanks for the tip, I will try it some time and see what I get.

Next......
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

TOGWT
    Provided the polymer has cross-linked the amount of solvent used in a waxes carrier system will have very little, if any effect. Before it?s cross-linked even that other solvent, water, will have an adverse effect

Collinte is a polymer, which only uses a limited amount of solvent to aid with providing `shine` and to help spread the product (limited because polymers `spread` fairly easily, unaided)

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI and FWIW: A few months ago I wrote to Duragloss and asked them if I could top their 105 with a carnauba. One of the owners replied and discouraged me from doing so, on the basis that it would compromise the durability of the sealant.

As the saying goes, You make your choice and take your chances.

TOGWT
    Quote Originally Posted by akimel View Post
    FYI and FWIW: A few months ago I wrote to Duragloss and asked them if I could top their 105 with a carnauba. One of the owners replied and discouraged me from doing so, on the basis that it would compromise the durability of the sealant.

As the saying goes, You make your choice and take your chances.
    If you ask any car care vendor about topping their product with anything their standard answer is [that it would compromise the durability of the sealant]

How, a polymer forms a molecular bond with the paint surface, a wax adherer?s to the polymer and will eventually evaporate due to its low melting point, leaving the polymer intact. The only qualification I would make to this statement is that the polymer MUST be full cross-linked before the addition of an LSP

My usual disclaimer - Research others opinions , test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information not marketing hype or brand loyalty. I have always thought that the more facts and information you have at hand the easier it is to judge what information you are being given. After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts?

Thread Information