Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Blackfire sealant experts,

I have applied 2 coats of Blackfire sealant on my car about a month ago and I am very impressed with the results. I am about to wash the car for the first time since applying those 2 coats of sealant ; the question is.. if I apply another coat of Blackfire after the car wash.. will it make a significance difference?.
    I was told that the sealant is supposed to last up to 6 months or so..knowing that...is it worth the time to put on the 3rd coat even though it is a month later?
    Has anyone done this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be wrong but I think that might be over kill. I have never read about anyone layering sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put some wax on it.....
    Paul
    Eastside Auto Spa

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s fine with the 2 coats of Sealant but if you feel you need another one after you wash you car then go for it. It won`t hurt to put it on your ride. I got 3 coats on my ride and 2 coats of BF Mid Night Sun Wax on mine and it looks awesome. GO FOR IT!
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broker99 View Post
    I might be wrong but I think that might be over kill. I have never read about anyone layering sealant.
    You have never heard about layering sealant? Perhaps you`d might like to read this story of one man`s detail of his car. 51 layers of Zaino!

Post Thanks / Like
    ok I stand corrected. I will stay in the back of the room and stay quite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been layering sealants for years.

I had a 2001 Black Grand Prix GTP and no polisher. I started using Zaino on the car on the first day I bought it. I applied another layer of Z5P month for 4 years. (Could have bought a polisher for that much money!).

I NEVER polished the car and it had almost NO swirls. Why? I`m guessing that it had so much freakin` Zaino on it that no microfiber towel ever got close to the paint.

My son bought the car 3 years ago and has never put wax or sealant on it. He washes it regularly by hand and it still beads. It sounds hard to believe, but it`s true.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can do it. It`ll definitely restore any of the slick feeling you lost from the wash. Don`t expect to see any difference though. I currently have six layers of Z5/Z2Pro on my mother`s 95` E320. I honestly could not see any difference after the third layer of Z5. I did notice an extra sparkle on the fourth layer, but I think that had more to do with the fact that the fourth layer was Z2Pro.

I`ve put up to four layers of FMJ (Polycharged) on my IS350, with a wash between the second and third layers and I did not notice any difference. It was as good as it was going to get after the second layer. Personally, I always keep adding layers to keep the super slick feeling.:wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonyn View Post
    I have applied 2 coats of Blackfire sealant on my car about a month ago and I am very impressed with the results. I am about to wash the car for the first time since applying those 2 coats of sealant ; the question is.. if I apply another coat of Blackfire after the car wash.. will it make a significance difference?.
    Two coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond is perfect for even coverage and thus perfect results. The durability of the system, provided it was applied to uncontaminated paint, is quite amazing.

At one month I doubt you will have noticed any degradation in gloss, shine, or slickness. I would wash the car as normal, and inspect the finish after you are done. It should feel/look like you just detailed it.

If you notice that the feeling or look has degraded, then it could be a problem with the car soap you are using not rinsing completely off or leaving something behind that coats the surface. I haven`t noticed this with Blackfire yet but it does happen.

Applying another coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond at this point is probably not necessary, but it`s not a bad thing. Wet Diamond is cleaner free so it will not remove previous coats of product, and it will bond fine on top of itself. You can apply every day if you want (although extreme overkill) and never have a fear of the `over waxing`.

A better option for me is to use the Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant periodically between applying Wet Diamond. It is a mist and wipe product, so it only takes a couple of minutes to go around the car after drying it. Not only does it restore and maintain the initial slickness and gloss of the Wet Diamond, but it adds more protection and lengthens the durability of the original coats.

With the most recent reformulation of Blackfire Wet Diamond in mid 2008, even applying the Deep Gloss Spray is overkill, because of the dramatically increased durability. However it is simple to do, guarantees best results, and takes very little time: The best type of overkill

I was told that the sealant is supposed to last up to 6 months or so..knowing that...is it worth the time to put on the 3rd coat even though it is a month later?
    Has anyone done this?
    I have a history of being very cautious when giving out durability guesstimates because of the numerous external factors that affect the durability.
    -How frequently is the paint washed?
    -How is washed?
    -How much sunlight is it exposed to?
    -How big are the variance in temperatures on a normal day?
    -What are the extreme temperatures?
    -How much humidity?
    -What type of pollutants are in the air?
    -How was the paint prepped prior to application? What products where on the paint prior to application?
    -How many coats where applied?
    -They paint type itself?
    The list goes on and on and each little change in each question is going to have some effect on durability.

I can tell you on my wife`s 2002 Sonata that the water is beading at 5 months, pretty well. Not quite as good as day one. Her car is parked outside 24/7, is washed every 2-3 weeks with whatever soap I am using that day, and dried with a towel. I have not used any quick detail sprays on her car since I last applied the wax.

Based on this, I would assume that it is going to last for 6 months. But this is just one case.

By the same token a black car with different paint could see less durability A garage queen parked in a climate controlled garage, that is never washed, could see several years. In most cases I think you will find that Blackfire is competitive with any of the longer lasting sealants, and lasts a long time. I would not be surprised if you saw 6 months of durability, but I would not be shocked if you saw slightly less or more.

It is up to you whether it is worth the time. You will extend the durability, like pressing a reset button, but I don`t believe you will see a dramatic difference in the looks because Blackfire will not have degraded. Then again your paint might look much better with 3 coats then 2 coats, so in this case, you never know unless you try.

As far as how often to add another coat, I would simply go on feel. When you notice the paint doesn`t feel as slick, or the paint isn`t beading as tight as you want, then add an additional coat. Alternatively, if you wan to make sure that the paint always has maximum protection and don`t want to wait until you notice a degradation in the water beading quality, then every 3 months should be perfect! Using the `Deep Gloss` Spray Sealant will extend this time!

I hope I helped, but if I confused you feel free to PM me and I`ll try to explain it better (I`m rambling tonight!!!)

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Termigator View Post
    I always keep adding layers to keep the super slick feeling.:wink:
    That`s my reasoning for adding layers. It`s slick all the time. And I wash it, the water wants to "fly" off the car!:thumbup:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

El Presidente
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Todd`s perfect reply. I have heard of people applying more coats, and while this will not hurt anything, the return is minimal for more protection. I do find it very therapeutic however as it is soooo easy to do. The BF-320PC Deep Gloss Spray will add slickness, just not as much as the BF-300PC Wet Diamond sealant.
    jk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everyone`s input...

I will save my energy for the next sealant application... when the slickness wears out. It`s great to hear from the experts and experiences.:thumbup:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Todd..re..Blackfire

I am about to use the blackfire products on a daily driver and have some questions..After I go through the initial process like washing, claying, and then the polish and sealant. Can I stop here and drive the vehicle and resume a day or two later and use the blackfire spray detailer and apply the second coat of sealant and then drive a day or two and then apply another coat of spray detailer and then start on the carnuba? After the first coat of carnuba proceed as in the past process and use the spray detailer and apply the second coat of carnuba?? It is a daily driver and can`t get everything handled before I need to get the dude on the road again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by genew View Post
    I am about to use the blackfire products on a daily driver and have some questions..After I go through the initial process like washing, claying, and then the polish and sealant. Can I stop here and drive the vehicle and resume a day or two later and use the blackfire spray detailer and apply the second coat of sealant and then drive a day or two and then apply another coat of spray detailer and then start on the carnuba? After the first coat of carnuba proceed as in the past process and use the spray detailer and apply the second coat of carnuba?? It is a daily driver and can`t get everything handled before I need to get the dude on the road again.

As far as a time table, this process will work great. I usually apply the coats about a week apart (right after I wash my car). My only suggestion would be to consider washing the car vs. quick detailing it if you have driven it for a couple days. I don`t trust many quick detailers to safely remove any possible road grime (concrete dust is sharp!) with out swirling the paint.

So maybe add a coat after each weekly wash until you are happy with the results?

Post Thanks / Like

Todd..one more question????

When starting to polish and seal with a machine...Does anyone start the process by hand and applicator and go close to all the difficult areas such as door strips,etc, and then polish with the machine and stay away from the difficult areas with the machine or just take off with the machine and go as close as possible and then finish up with the applicator by hand?? Sorry to ask such newbie questions but have never used the machine before. Sometimes asking a stupid question first can save some time and troubles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information