Post Thanks / Like

Waxing Black fire trucks

Ok I need help here. We have have black fire trucks and black ambilances. It`s time to wax them again. We do have some scatches. Not deep or didn`t scratch the paint just the clear coat. So what should I use. I know if I buff it it will swirl. I don`t have a problem using a swirl out remover, but there are so many out there I don`t know who or what to trust. Can you guess help me out. Will need pic before and after.

Post Thanks / Like
    are you working by hand or machine.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you do not wax these often. Maybe once or twice a year? If so I would use Collinite 476s. Its good and durable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Collinite as well for durability; I prefer 845 because it`s easier to apply. You will need a paint cleaner though before each as they are a straight wax.

Consider these options too. Great one step products.

http://www.properautocare.com/kla-16.html

http://www.properautocare.com/b586g.html
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcfly View Post
    Ok I need help here. We have have black fire trucks and black ambilances. It`s time to wax them again. We do have some scatches. Not deep or didn`t scratch the paint just the clear coat. So what should I use. I know if I buff it it will swirl. I don`t have a problem using a swirl out remover, but there are so many out there I don`t know who or what to trust. Can you guess help me out. Will need pic before and after.
    If swirl removal is your goal you are likely going to need a full on polishing set up. Most fire trucks and ambulances are gel-coated and in my limited exprience, fairly difficult to polish out! Do you have any experience with machine polishing?

For lone lasting protection on Gel-Coat`s I would probably go with the Klasse Twins (All-In-One and Klasse Sealant Glaze) or the new Glacier One Step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post some pics of what you`re working on? It`ll give us a better idea as to what to recommend.

It all depends on what results you want and how much time and effort you are willing to put into it. If you want simple and effective, I`d use an orbital polisher like a PC7424 and a product like Meguiars Color-X. If you are willing to put a lot of hours into the job and want top notch results, there are many options in terms of polishes and waxes to use.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Black fire trucks and ambulances? Good stuff.
    Will

Jedi Master
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of fire engines use Imron? or another brand of extremely durable paint. If you want to remove scratching, your best bet is Meguar`s M105 Ultra Cut Compound (this is in the Professional line, so it is sold in quarts or gallons only). If you`d rather just bee-bop on down to the local Wal Mart or auto parts store to purchase your wares, you can probably find Meguiar`s G17216 Ultimate Compound, which is similar to M105, but it is dialed in for the consumer-level paint guy (available in 16 ounce). You can apply either product by hand, random orbital, or rotary polisher. I suspect that you wish to remove haziness on the fire trucks (rather than completely remove the defects), which either product will do.

If the finish looks good enough for your needs, you can go right to protecting the paint.
    If not, use Meguiar`s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish.

Then, I would follow up with Meguiar`s M20 Polymer Sealant.
    It is very easy to apply and remove, looks nice, and durability is good.
    I think that once you try M20 you (or the people that maintain these rigs) will use it more often.

Even better... and you aren`t gonna believe this one, but it is REALLY SUPER KILLER GOOD STUFF....
    Instead of M20 or any other wax/polymer/sealant.... try the incredible Meguiar`s G17516 Ultimate Quik Wax.

Once the guys try this stuff they will likely use it all the time!!!
    It is REALLY nice stuff, and smells like fruit punch (which is the real reason I use it).
    Kevin Brown
    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar`s/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar`s Distributor/Retailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    A lot of fire engines use Imron? or another brand of extremely durable paint. If you want to remove scratching, your best bet is Meguar`s M105 Ultra Cut Compound (this is in the Professional line, so it is sold in quarts or gallons only). If you`d rather just bee-bop on down to the local Wal Mart or auto parts store to purchase your wares, you can probably find Meguiar`s G17216 Ultimate Compound, which is similar to M105, but it is dialed in for the consumer-level paint guy (available in 16 ounce). You can apply either product by hand, random orbital, or rotary polisher. I suspect that you wish to remove haziness on the fire trucks (rather than completely remove the defects), which either product will do.

If the finish looks good enough for your needs, you can go right to protecting the paint.
    If not, use Meguiar`s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish.

Then, I would follow up with Meguiar`s M20 Polymer Sealant.
    It is very easy to apply and remove, looks nice, and durability is good.
    I think that once you try M20 you (or the people that maintain these rigs) will use it more often.

Even better... and you aren`t gonna believe this one, but it is REALLY SUPER KILLER GOOD STUFF....
    Instead of M20 or any other wax/polymer/sealant.... try the incredible Meguiar`s G17516 Ultimate Quik Wax.

Once the guys try this stuff they will likely use it all the time!!!
    It is REALLY nice stuff, and smells like fruit punch (which is the real reason I use it) .
    Well if this isn`t reason enough... I`m sold

Post Thanks / Like
    My closet is full of QD sprays now, but I`m sure I`ll end up trying Meg Ultimate Quik Wax before I use the rest.:devil:
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like

Black Fire Trucks

Hello,

If you go to www.mounthorebfire.com you will see what I want to tackle. I plan on using a machine. Our trucks are Peterbuilts. Only two arms. Would take for ever. Take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks to all

Quote Originally Posted by BretFraz View Post
    Can you post some pics of what you`re working on? It`ll give us a better idea as to what to recommend.

It all depends on what results you want and how much time and effort you are willing to put into it. If you want simple and effective, I`d use an orbital polisher like a PC7424 and a product like Meguiars Color-X. If you are willing to put a lot of hours into the job and want top notch results, there are many options in terms of polishes and waxes to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Waxing Black Fire Trucks

Ok, If you want to see what I am trying to wax. Goto www.mounthorebfire.com. Search around and see what we have. Thanks to all for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcfly View Post
    Ok, If you want to see what I am trying to wax. Goto www.mounthorebfire.com. Search around and see what we have. Thanks to all for your help.
    Link no workie. However, you can see a gallery of their vehicles here:

http://fdmh.org/FDMH%20Galleries/FDM...cks/index.html

Yep, they`ve got black fire trucks alright. Snazzy looking!

TL

Thread Information