Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna Help! To Compound or to Polish?

I have a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI, with a Strong Metallic Black Paint. The car isnt garage kept but i like to keep the paint nice and clean and a good coat of wax on it.

Last Fall i bought several products from proper auto care. I bought a Clay bar kit, Final Polish II, Finishing Touch Glaze, and the FMJ sealant. This worked wonders on the car, but never really removed any of the "light" straches. By light i mean its still in the clear coat, hasnt gone through the paint, but i dont really know how to judge how deep it really is.

This is where i need some help. I dont know where to buy the Intensive Polish or the Power Gloss Compound, Also dont know which pad, the orange or the yellow . The products aren`t excactly cheap so i dont want to buy something to weak, but i`m not a huge fan of compounding something that doesn`t really need it.

So if someone could help me decide on which setup would be nicer or at least how to tell how deep my strach is so i can make a better estimate. Thanks in advance everyone

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    If you could take a picture of one of the bad spots, then members could make recommendations. That`s what I did last week, and end up with the Super Intensive Polish and an orange pad. On an PC if did a good job. I only got to see it in direct sun this morning on the way to work, and it looks a lot better, but there are still some spots that have swirls. If I spend some more time I`m hoping to get most of it out, but I don`t think I`ll get all of it out without the help of a pro and a circular.
    At the Speed of.......... ///M

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
    If you could take a picture of one of the bad spots, then members could make recommendations. That`s what I did last week, and end up with the Super Intensive Polish and an orange pad. On an PC if did a good job. I only got to see it in direct sun this morning on the way to work, and it looks a lot better, but there are still some spots that have swirls. If I spend some more time I`m hoping to get most of it out, but I don`t think I`ll get all of it out without the help of a pro and a circular.
    That`s a very good pad/polish combo. *Really* good, actually.

Follow up the Super Intensive Polish (SIP) with the Final Polish II (FPII). If you find that the FPII is not able to remove whatever is left after the SIP, you may want to give Menzerna PO85RD or PO106FF a try.

SIP/orange followed by PO106FF/white/red/black/grey (chose one ) with a DA style buffer is an old school favorite combination.

If you find that not even SIP is capable of removing the defects, you might want to check out Meguairs M105, but if you do, please make sure you do *a lot* of reading and research on it`s proper use before using it on your car.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboGLI View Post
    I have a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI, with a Strong Metallic Black Paint. The car isnt garage kept but i like to keep the paint nice and clean and a good coat of wax on it.

Last Fall i bought several products from proper auto care. I bought a Clay bar kit, Final Polish II, Finishing Touch Glaze, and the FMJ sealant. This worked wonders on the car, but never really removed any of the "light" straches. By light i mean its still in the clear coat, hasnt gone through the paint, but i dont really know how to judge how deep it really is.

This is where i need some help. I dont know where to buy the Intensive Polish or the Power Gloss Compound, Also dont know which pad, the orange or the yellow . The products aren`t excactly cheap so i dont want to buy something to weak, but i`m not a huge fan of compounding something that doesn`t really need it.

So if someone could help me decide on which setup would be nicer or at least how to tell how deep my strach is so i can make a better estimate. Thanks in advance everyone

-Steve
    Welcome aboard TurboGLI, you might need SIP with a orange pad to start out or maybe going up to M105 , but I would like to know which machine your using first..............Angelo
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I drive an 07 Jetta and love the SIP/PO85RD combo. I started with a white pad on the SIP though.

BTW, since this is a wax/sealant thread I have to say that FMJ rocks on VW metallic paint.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bio....
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for everyone`s quick response i appricate all the help. I`m using the PC 7424 machine with the 7 1/2" pads.

The FMJ on VW paint is incredible, actually the whole menzerna package of products seems to be great on the vw paint, as well as mercedes.

It sounds like most of you think the SIP and orange pad is the way to go. I guess that leaves the power gloss compound out.

Thanks again guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboGLI View Post
    Thanks for everyone`s quick response i appricate all the help. I`m using the PC 7424 machine with the 7 1/2" pads.

The FMJ on VW paint is incredible, actually the whole menzerna package of products seems to be great on the vw paint, as well as mercedes.

It sounds like most of you think the SIP and orange pad is the way to go. I guess that leaves the power gloss compound out.

Thanks again guys!
    Part of the problem is the 7.5 inch pads, which are are too large for the Porter Cable to work efficently. Look at 6.5 inch pads as it will greatly increase the abililty of the machine.

Remember to use good technique as well. Slow are speed, over lapping passes, 10-15 lbs of pressure, ect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    Part of the problem is the 7.5 inch pads, which are are too large for the Porter Cable to work efficently. Look at 6.5 inch pads as it will greatly increase the abililty of the machine.

Remember to use good technique as well. Slow are speed, over lapping passes, 10-15 lbs of pressure, ect.
    +1 on what Todd said. I haven`t used a pad that large either. 6.5" on my PC. Consider downsizing. I even picked up 4" for tight areas or bumpers.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Thread Information