Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Coating or Wax for summer bugs.

Looking for something to last all summer. Wash and return to the road, wash again. Bugs rinse off and don`t leave splatter spot.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Coating or Wax for summer bugs.

If you want a wax, Collinite is a good choice.
    Likes salty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes i have both one hand and FK1000- which I have being using on Customer cars. But when said Customer goes all season without a proper wash. Anything bulletproof, I guess, including coatings that can stand up to months of abuse.

Post Thanks / Like

If the customer goes all season without a proper wash, you`re going to run into problem. That mess will get baked onto the surface over the summer months. It will be hard to remove no matter what you do.

That said, I`ve found bug platters come off a vehicle coated with a high-solids coating far better than any wax, sealant, or SiO2 sealant. I frequently make long road trips across the mid-west and the bugs get bad enough I have to pull into a gas station to clean the windows so I can see where I`m going...especially at night. Depending on the trip, I may not get a chance to do a good wash until I get home several days later. With a coating and only a few days of the mess sitting on the surface, it often washes right off with very little effort and minimal use of a bug remover product.

Something else which will factor into using a coating is their chemical resistance. They will probably be better at keeping the more acidic splatters from etching the paint. It isn`t armor plating, but will hold up better/longer than most sealants, though I`ve heard FK1000 is pretty tough stuff too.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes salty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, and of course YMMV...I`ve *never* had bugs or bird-bombs etch through FK1000P. Never, not ven when I left that [stuff] on there for months on end. I`ve gotten to where I no longer bother cleaning such things off between washes.
    Likes salty, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz for the paint and Gyeon QuickView for the windshield and glass. Bugs, dirt and bird dropping come off with just the garden hose or a heavy rain... lol It doesn`t get any easier than that.

I did purchase the Kamikaze Window Coat that I will test later this spring for the glass but I`m getting about 6 months with the Gyeon Quickview and its very easy to apply.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m at the bottom of my FK 1000 tin. Which is why I started this thread. Do they even sell FK 1000 anymore?

Post Thanks / Like

It’s called Finish Kare BWM 101 now. I see it on several places including Amazon
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I have use technicians choice gmax coating 585 60mls for $30 it’s a micro bead flashing instead of rainbow flash. Or if you want to treat yourself gyeon mohs evo both are easy

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a coating from a reputable brand (Carpro, Gyeon, Gtechniq). I used to use fk1000p however the love bugs in FL ate through it easily within a day or two. With a coating, I can go at least a week without cleaning and have no etching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    I used to use fk1000p however the love bugs in FL ate through it easily within a day or two. With a coating, I can go at least a week without cleaning and have no etching.
    I`m *REALLY* glad you posted that about the FK not holding up to your bugs, I`ll keep it in mind as an "OTOH..." aside when I recommend the stuff in the future. Also glad your coating is dealing with the problem OK.
    Likes PearTree liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Iv`e been wanting to try Finish Kare BWM 10, does it only come in a paste? How is the application and removal?

Post Thanks / Like

Apply it per directions on the label, layers are required as it is synthetic blend formulated for high temps produced when used as a release agent for fiberglass molds. Do it right will hold up for a long time and is very acid resistant.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Apply it per directions on the label, layers are required .. Do it right will hold up for a long time and is very acid resistant.

If you *don`t* do it right, you`ll get pseudo-holograms that can be *really* tough to "just buff out", so I wait a day or more between layers and stop at about 4 (though I`ll add more later to keep up with the inevitable degradation).

Two random notes:

- I shoulda listened to Ketch and tried that stuff sooner!
    -When he blamed my pseudo-holograms on my user-error I sure didn`t argue So keep an eye peeled for those (and that takes the right lighting).
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    If you *don`t* do it right, you`ll get pseudo-holograms that can be *really* tough to "just buff out", so I wait a day or more between layers and stop at about 4 (though I`ll add more later to keep up with the inevitable degradation).

Two random notes:

- I shoulda listened to Ketch and tried that stuff sooner!
    -When he blamed my pseudo-holograms on my user-error I sure didn`t argue So keep an eye peeled for those (and that takes the right lighting).
    I`ll usually wait a week between coats. And, like always, a little goes a long way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information