Post Thanks / Like

A windshield coating for microchips?

Might there be something out there, that helps with the microchips a windshield in Colorado is subject to? All my vehicles that get driven a lot in this state, before long, have a ton of microchips from the sand and dust. So when the sun hits the windshield right, it becomes very difficult to see at times. And I know the best solution is a replacement, but this windshield is only 2 years old, and I`d rather wait until I get an actual crack again.

So I`m hoping there might be something out there that helps with this? I know nothing will eliminate the problem entirely.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A windshield coating for microchips?

A coating isn`t going to do much if anything, just too thin. There are a few film coatings on the market that look somewhat interesting.
    Likes Stokdgs, Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately no. As stated PPF for glass is gaining in popularity.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d love to read reports of those that have used PPF for glass. My head just says NO when it comes to windshield wipers but I`d like to read otherwise.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve seen cars with it before. It’s more clear than PPF but it’s still very noticeable, and the texture isn’t as smooth as glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Opti-Glass coating was supposedly tested on a rental car fleet and reduced rock chips. Yes, I know that sounds impossible. I was just looking for the info over on the Optimum forum, but that may have been lost over there when Chris deleted all his posts.

Scottwax mentions it in this thread in post #11: New Optimum Products and in post #10 in this one: Opti-Glass application video and long-term comparo vs Carpro Flyby30

Lotta long-lost members in those threads.
    Likes Speedwagon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t expect anything to prevent rock chips. They are large. I`m just hoping something can help lengthen the life of a windshield against the sandblasting. And any kind of coating that is hard enough, and reapplied periodically, could potentially do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Optimum Opti-Glass coating was supposedly tested on a rental car fleet and reduced rock chips. Yes, I know that sounds impossible. I was just looking for the info over on the Optimum forum, but that may have been lost over there when Chris deleted all his posts.

Scottwax mentions it in this thread in post #11: New Optimum Products and in post #10 in this one: Opti-Glass application video and long-term comparo vs Carpro Flyby30

Lotta long-lost members in those threads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    I don`t expect anything to prevent rock chips. They are large. I`m just hoping something can help lengthen the life of a windshield against the sandblasting. And any kind of coating that is hard enough, and reapplied periodically, could potentially do this.
    Nope. No coating is hard or thick enough. Look the PPF route others have mentioned.

A lot of people think the 9h hardness is diamond hard due to this being sio2. Not how that rating works. It is 9h pencil hardness.

“The pencil scale is a test of hardness that gives an impression on how hard a certain coating is. The test is done by pressing a pencil with a certain hardness firmly on the surface on a 45 degrees angle. The highest grade that does not make permanently mark the surface is the score for the pencil scale.”

So if a 9h or even a 10h pencil can mark the coating with firm pressure, nothing is going to help against anything that is causing pitting in glass which is harder than any coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Thread Information