Post Thanks / Like

So I have a question about making products last

Ok, I may be overthinking and reaching a bit here, so forgive me if this may take it too far.

So with winter here and the cold miserable weather puts an end to the fun of waxing/sealants/etc, and some products have a shelf life so they just sit the winter months. So if we bought shelf life products and really wanted to make them last as best we can, would taking one of those food vacuum sealers and sealing our fav products right up for the off season take things too far and not accomplish much of anything?? Would it be worth it??

Was just looking at the Canadian Tire sales flyer and looked at one and scratched my head "hmmmm I wonder.... I`ll ask the folks who may have already done this to see if it is worth it"

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So I have a question about making products last

You can try Zip Lock bags but it probably won`t make a difference since there is air in the container.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the big assumption is that the shelf life is driven by exposure to air. If it is, I would think vacuum sealing a portion of it immediately after opening it would work best. If it`s driven by something else (temperature stability, UV light, etc), I don`t know that you`re accomplishing anything with a vacuum sealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I was overthinking. I suppose one could leave the lid (of a container like paste wax) and vacuum seal it, plastic would suck down tight as long as container was fairly full still. But I`m overreaching here.
    I had wrapped my paste wax container in Glad cling wrap and did put it in a zip lock then into an empty yogurt container and into the fridge. I saw that vacuum sealer on sale and a very teeny tiny bulb went off in my head so asked on here.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t do anything special except keep the lids on tight and I have products last for a very long time.

While I haven`t opened it in a while and had bottle of Klasse SG which is over 10 years old. My Collinite 845 bottle is easily 6~7 years old at this point and after giving it a good shake it`s just fine too. Most products should last a really long time if you can simply keep them closed up.

The only products I`ve had go bad are ceramic coatings with high levels of solids. Even with the lids tighly sealed, it seems like the carrier agents tend to evaporate somehow.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My primary concern would be to get any/all products out of a garage environment so things can`t freeze.

Like Nate, I`ve had properly sealed up containers last forever...
    Cars: bringing people together

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe keeping the temperatures from going too high or too low is the best way to get the most shelf life out of all products I have in my Cabinets, except for Coatings, which I believe, once they get exposed to air, they start slowly going away..

Yes, it may take a long time for the coatings to go away, but they have in my experiences, only those in opened, and used, syringes, and syringes are supposed to be good at getting all the air out and not letting it leak back in..

I have a totally insulated, drywalled,including the ceiling, garage, and a big, heavy, insulated garage door, to help keep the temps from going crazy either direction, and it works just fine for keeping all the different products alive..
    So good, that when I turn on my 18, 4-foot 2-tube, lights, after awhile, all their heat alone can be felt in this 2-1/2 car garage with concrete slab floor..
    Dan F

Thread Information