Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

I have become a detailing heretic…

I posted a question earlier this year to see who has switched from liquid and paste to spray sealants. Since then, I played around with Griots Ceramic 3-1 and their Ceramic Speed Shine, Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Spray wax and Ceramic Detailer, Sonax Ceramic Spray Coating and Ultra Slick Ceramic Detailer and lastly, Turtle Wax Ice Seal n Shine and Turtle Wax Ice Spray wax. After using all these products on our cars, I can’t see enough of a difference in self cleaning, ease of use, looks, slickness or water behavior (although the Ice products do not have as tall and tight of beads as the others) to use the more expensive options over these two Turtle Wax Ice products. Two coats of Seal n Shine 24 hours apart with a monthly top up of the Ice Spray wax hold up just as well for me as any of the other combinations I tried. Not to sound cheap, but for a combined $17.00 for the two of them, plus local availability, It works for me. Our cars are 9 and 10 years old, daily drivers that get a light polish once a year, no more compounding, just spot duty if needed. Not perfect paint, not high end cars. I won’t skimp on polishing or compounding products, but with my not being able to keep from spraying something on after a wash at least once a month. I just don’t see the point, there is not enough of a difference to my old eyes at least. Though I am officially on the spray sealant and topper bandwagon .
    Likes Silly Rabbit, CleanIt, dgage, Older liked this post
    Thanks CleanIt, Older thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have become a detailing heretic…

You don`t find using a spray sealant easier to use then a paste or liquid wax? Its way easier and faster IME.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    You don`t find using a spray sealant easier to use then a paste or liquid wax? Its way easier and faster IME.
    I do, I meant I find using the Ice Seal N Shine and Ice Spray Wax as good as using the "higher end" brands. I edited my original post to make that clearer. When i read your comments and then reread my post, I realized it was somewhat confusing.
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RPPM View Post
    ... as good as using the "higher end" brands...
    This is one of those "Scroll of Truth" posts, where the scroll says something that the reader doesn`t like, but is still true.

I think most of us would have to admit that most of the time, products are pretty hard to distinguish from each other.

As long as you find something you are happy with, no need to spend more.

Just having a clean car is about 95% of the look. 4% is some sort of protectant.
    The remaining 1% is kind of what a lot of people spend their time trying to achieve.

Edit-
    Here, I even made a meme for you:
    5xmyu8.jpg
    Likes RPPM, CleanIt, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks RPPM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing has come a long way. Spray products changed it. Work smarter not harder. For me the combo of TW Spray coating as a base, then TW Wet wax to maintain. Truck is protected and never looked better.

Ceramics changed the game.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Stokdgs, RPPM, CleanIt, tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah unless i’m using PA cosmic or Kamikazr OverCoat there is not alot of difference.

These products put Those you mentioned to the dirt but at 10x the price. Is it worth it. That only each user can decide.

In my comparison of Griots 3-1 vs SNS i found it better in every way.

Application
    Water behavior
    Durability
    Looks (slightly)

I don’t remember if it was newer or older version but I gave it away.

Definitely a case of YMMV but also different environments, paint l, fall out, temperature. Sure that makes a big difference.

Documented my trials here

Griots 3-1 Cermaic wax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes RPPM, 981 Cayman S, CleanIt liked this post
    Thanks RPPM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Seal N Shine and Ice Spray Wax for me on the daily. Super easy, super inexpensive, and lasts long enough. I`ve recommended the new formula Ice Spray Wax to a few people and they loved it. I get compliments on the car all the time when I go with that combo.
    Likes RPPM liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang is the wettest looking spray wax I`ve used. Pricey but also very concentrated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Yeah unless i’m using PA cosmic or Kamikazr OverCoat there is not alot of difference.

These products put Those you mentioned to the dirt but at 10x the price. Is it worth it. That only each user can decide.

In my comparison of Griots 3-1 vs SNS i found it better in every way.

Application
    Water behavior
    Durability
    Looks (slightly)

I don’t remember if it was newer or older version but I gave it away.

Definitely a case of YMMV but also different environments, paint l, fall out, temperature. Sure that makes a big difference.

Documented my trials here

Griots 3-1 Cermaic wax

If I was going high end, PA Cosmic would be my choice. I know the Esoteric guys love it. It does look awesome. Griot`s 3 in 1 is the standard to beat in the more mainstream offerings IMO. That product time and time again always performs.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FYI Sonax as a new coating type product that they desrcibe having "Si-Carbon-Tech`nology" and "the one-step hybrid polymer sealant CC One."

Claims durability up to 15mths which would be excellent for me.

Sonax Profiline Hybridcoating CC-One

Their seems to be a trend of 1 layer coating products that can be applied outside much easier then coatings in the past.

Angelwax as one as well called legacy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    FYI Sonax as a new coating type product that they desrcibe having "Si-Carbon-Tech`nology" and "the one-step hybrid polymer sealant CC One."

Claims durability up to 15mths which would be excellent for me.

Sonax Profiline Hybridcoating CC-One

Their seems to be a trend of 1 layer coating products that can be applied outside much easier then coatings in the past.

Angelwax as one as well called legacy.
    This seems interesting. Yes alot of 1 yr products becoming the norm. My thinking is the manufacturer doesn’t want you waiting 2-3 years to re apply.

They benefit by us buying more products sooner.

Buy alot more detailing products, polish, pads, Prep spray, clay Mf towels to name a few if you recoat once a year.

As for application i think outside application will be coming from most manufacturers. Gyeons new line will all be able to be applied outside.

As for easy non of these products seem easier to apply.

These products need to be applied with applicator in sections, let dwell and remove. Exact same as when I applied Cquk3.

I’d say of all the OG’s (CQlite and CanCoat) are the easiest as they require no dwell time and CC can be applied with a MF towel.

Me personally, Im looking to polish my paint the least possible and we all here take extreme precautions when washing. I’m using a proper coating.

If i’m doing all the proper steps to coat paint i want something that will last as long till INEED to polish again….. hopefully 2-3 years.

For business (manufacturer and professional detailer these make sense)

Manufacturer wants you using more products and pro detailers want returning customers. Plus most don’t wash like us so yearly polishing is necessary.

Let us know if you try this… not heard of it before.

Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So in playing with all the ones I listed, here are my observations and opinions from each combination. We have two cars, so I split each car right down the middle. One car had Meg on the entire passenger side of the car, and the TW Ice on the driver`s side. Our other car was split with Sonax on the driver`s side and Griots on the passenger`s side. Products were put on in July 2021, two coats for each of the base sealants 24 hours apart, then the toppers were used at the next car washing, about 10 days after the bases were applied. Prior to sealant application, both cars were washed, chemically decontaminated with Megs Iron remover, and then clayed with Griots artificial clay with McKee`s 914 at clay lube dilution. Each car was then polished with Griots Complete polish via GG6 polisher with 5.5" buff and shine light blue polishing pads on speed 3.5. Final wipe down prior to spray sealant with Mother`s surface prep. Each car was washed about every 10 days or so with a topper applied every 3rd wash.

The Sonax Ceramic spray twins had by far the best beading and hydrophobics. Easily on par with PNS/BSD combo. It also had the slickness that PNS/BSD lack. Their ceramaic spray coating was fairly easy to apply and wipe off. Minor streaking, in higher humidity. The pair is basically $44.00 (just two pennies short) plus shipping unless you wait for a sale. This comes out to just under $.87 per ounce pre-shipping when adjusted for the amount you get for the price.

Griots ceramic twins would be my second choice. 3-1 is easier to apply and buff off than SnS, it is a wash between CSS and Ice Spray wax for application. I found beading was on par with the ice combo, not any better. While 3-1 might have slightly better hydrophobics than SnS, once the toppers are applied, I didn`t see any advantage for Griots in water management. These two ring up just under $37.00 (again two pennies under) but are available locally. This amounts to $.84 per ounce.

The Meguiars twins were a mix for me. When applied in a more traditional style of spray, wipe and then buff with a clean microfiber, it was by far the most difficult product to apply and wipe off. The ceramic detailer was nice, but I found it to be the most short lived of the toppers. Beading was very nice from the detailer, but it quickly dropped off. These two ring up just under $34.00 locally at Wally World. This comes out to $.65 per ounce.

The Ice twins are very close in every category, except in beading and hydrophobics compared to the Sonax duo (The Sonax pair blow the other three brands away in this regard). They hold their own with Megs and Griots, albeit slightly behind those two in hydrophobics. I find SnS can be a little touchy if it is humid outside, but most products can be. The Spray wax is absolutely idiot proof no matter what the weather conditions are. Durability wise, they match the Megs and Sonax pair, but do lag behind the Griots. With topping involved, it is really not an issue. For just under $18.00 for the pair at Wallyworld they come out to just under $.50 per ounce.

In the overall scheme of things, the price isn`t enough to be the only decider for me. I actually like the look of the Ice Combo as much as the look from any of the others, maybe more. To each their own.
    Likes Coatings=crack, noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So in playing with all the ones I listed, here are my observations and opinions from each combination. We have two cars, so I split each car right down the middle. One car had Meg on the entire passenger side of the car, and the TW Ice on the driver`s side. Our other car was split with Sonax on the driver`s side and Griots on the passenger`s side. Products were put on in July 2021, two coats for each of the base sealants 24 hours apart, then the toppers were used at the next car washing, about 10 days after the bases were applied. Prior to sealant application, both cars were washed, chemically decontaminated with Megs Iron remover, and then clayed with Griots artificial clay with McKee`s 914 at clay lube dilution. Each car was then polished with Griots Complete polish via GG6 polisher with 5.5" buff and shine light blue polishing pads on speed 3.5. Final wipe down prior to spray sealant with Mother`s surface prep. Each car was washed about every 10 days or so with a topper applied every 3rd wash.

The Sonax Ceramic spray twins had by far the best beading and hydrophobics. Easily on par with PNS/BSD combo. It also had the slickness that PNS/BSD lack. Their ceramaic spray coating was fairly easy to apply and wipe off. Minor streaking, in higher humidity. The pair is basically $44.00 (just two pennies short) plus shipping unless you wait for a sale. This comes out to just under $.87 per ounce pre-shipping when adjusted for the amount you get for the price.

Griots ceramic twins would be my second choice. 3-1 is easier to apply and buff off than SnS, it is a wash between CSS and Ice Spray wax for application. I found beading was on par with the ice combo, not any better. While 3-1 might have slightly better hydrophobics than SnS, once the toppers are applied, I didn`t see any advantage for Griots in water management. These two ring up just under $37.00 (again two pennies under) but are available locally. This amounts to $.84 per ounce.

The Meguiars twins were a mix for me. When applied in a more traditional style of spray, wipe and then buff with a clean microfiber, it was by far the most difficult product to apply and wipe off. The ceramic detailer was nice, but I found it to be the most short lived of the toppers. Beading was very nice from the detailer, but it quickly dropped off. These two ring up just under $34.00 locally at Wally World. This comes out to $.65 per ounce.

The Ice twins are very close in every category, except in beading and hydrophobics compared to the Sonax duo (The Sonax pair blow the other three brands away in this regard). They hold their own with Megs and Griots, albeit slightly behind those two in hydrophobics. I find SnS can be a little touchy if it is humid outside, but most products can be. The Spray wax is absolutely idiot proof no matter what the weather conditions are. Durability wise, they match the Megs and Sonax pair, but do lag behind the Griots. With topping involved, it is really not an issue. For just under $18.00 for the pair at Wallyworld they come out to just under $.50 per ounce.

In the overall scheme of things, the price isn`t enough to be the only decider for me. I actually like the look of the Ice Combo as much as the look from any of the others, maybe more. To each their own.
    Makes perfect sense. As mike said…. “Find something you like and use it often.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    This seems interesting. Yes alot of 1 yr products becoming the norm. My thinking is the manufacturer doesn’t want you waiting 2-3 years to re apply.

They benefit by us buying more products sooner.

Buy alot more detailing products, polish, pads, Prep spray, clay Mf towels to name a few if you recoat once a year.

As for application i think outside application will be coming from most manufacturers. Gyeons new line will all be able to be applied outside.

As for easy non of these products seem easier to apply.

These products need to be applied with applicator in sections, let dwell and remove. Exact same as when I applied Cquk3.

I’d say of all the OG’s (CQlite and CanCoat) are the easiest as they require no dwell time and CC can be applied with a MF towel.

Me personally, Im looking to polish my paint the least possible and we all here take extreme precautions when washing. I’m using a proper coating.

If i’m doing all the proper steps to coat paint i want something that will last as long till INEED to polish again….. hopefully 2-3 years.

For business (manufacturer and professional detailer these make sense)

Manufacturer wants you using more products and pro detailers want returning customers. Plus most don’t wash like us so yearly polishing is necessary.

Let us know if you try this… not heard of it before.

By easy i meant it will cure much faster and hopefully work.

In my neck of the woods - much like the UK weather here - and my work i don`t wash my car very often so a yearly polish suits my situation more. But 2-3 years would be my goal in an area that i could wash more often in the southern hemisphere for instance.

I`m a big fan of sonax - some terrible packaging however - so i might just pick it up next year instead of cancoat. I only seen it a few days ago myself surfing the internet, can`t remember now, where it was lol

Maybe i will go with the chemical synergy thing as Mike Phillips likes to say

I actually added a new bottle of perfect finish in my cart lastnight. I think like carpro reset - i tried many soaps after reset but came back to reset, its a staple now - i`m going full circle after trying a good many medium compounds. Personally, i fine sonax cutmax and perfect finish very nice to work with. And there actually in nice bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a big fan of sonax like i stated. With this new coating i might just start using a lot of there stuff - prices are very good. I already used: PNS, BSD, Leather foam, perfect finish and cutmax. All winners. They seem to be hyper focused on ease of use in respect of the new coating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information