View Poll Results: What do you think of using Panel Wipe ? You may pick more than one.

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I tried Panel Wipe but don`t find a need for it.

1 5.56%
  • I only use it on customers cars.

8 44.44%
  • I use it on my daily driver.

11 61.11%
  • I think it is worth it but for some reason I dont use it.

0 0%
  • I have never used it.

4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panel Wipe Poll

Post Thanks / Like

Panel Wipe Poll

Thinking of using one and was wondering what others thought of them. Do you use Panel Wipe of some type ? Check the ones that pertane to your experience. Thank you.

I tried Panel Wipe but don`t find a need for it.
    I only use it on customers cars.
    I use it on my daily driver.
    I think it is worth using but for some reason don`t use it.
    I have never used it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panel Wipe Poll

I have looked at and read this a few times trying to figure out if and how I could answer. I really think you need to provide more info or at least clarify the parameters you are looking at. In my opinion and experience there is a huge difference between doing a coating, sealant, wax and the steps taken to prep for each.
    Likes Fishing, dcjredline, Vegas1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

On the rare occasions that I do any correction, I still use the old Akyra-Clean (?sp?)/PrepWash that TOL sold.
    Likes Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I still have my Akyra Clean gallon too so it will be a long time before I use anything else for prep.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

@TroyScherer Thank you for returning and posting. Having never used a panel wipe before and I was just wondering if many others used one and on what. I had not given it a thought that there could be a difference when using it with a Wax , Sealant or Coating. Thnx for letting me know this. I have only used Wax and Sealants.

@Accumulator & @Bill D. Thank you for letting me know what you are using.

Post Thanks / Like

AFAIK Akyra is no longer being sold anywhere. Fortunately there are now several other panel wipes to choose from
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t respond originally as I was looking for always. I always do a wipe for a coating as it is pretty much required. But really for anything, if I am going to take the time and use a product, I want it to be able to do its best, which means a panel wipe. While it may not be needed with some spray sealants, I’m still of the opinion to get the surface as pristine as possible to give those sealants the best chance to perform.
    Likes Fishing, dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

@Bill D - Thank you for letting me know about Akyra.

@dgage - In hind sight yes I should have put "always" in there. Didn`t think of that, thank you for letting me know,,, I always learn something here
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have not personally used any of the older prep/panel wipe products that Accumulator & Bill D would be referring too. Sadly when I started out I didn’t see the need or point of them.

Early on when just doing a wax or sealant if I was doing any polishing I would follow up with a full “strip wash”. That back in the day I think was ChemicalGuys Citrus wash & clear. I just thought I needed a good cleaning soap that would leave nothing behind and strip off polishing oils. In the past few years I have basically moved on from waxes and sealants other than a spray wax/sealant topper.

When it comes to coatings do believe in and use
    prep/panel wipe products. In doing so I usually try and stick with the brand specific product to make sure I try and get the best final outcome. To me the time and effort are worth it when using something that will seal in my work for 2+ years. I have had coating applications last 3-4+ so far.

I have also found that not all
    prep/panel wipe products are equal. Some are slicker but seem to clean less while others seem to be much stronger and grabber. But again I usually try and stick with the coating specific prep products. When coatings came out even the first ones called for some form of prep wipe and since then I have used them.

From what I remember and see currently most sealants and waxes still don’t call specifically for a prep wipe product.

Post Thanks / Like

Why isnt there just a "YES" answer? lol. I feel like if you want your LSP to stick you should use a panel wipe, it takes about 10-25 min to wipe down a vehicle. I use it every time Im putting an LSP on.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Fishing, D.BRITT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I didn’t respond originally as I was looking for always. I always do a wipe for a coating as it is pretty much required. But really for anything, if I am going to take the time and use a product, I want it to be able to do its best, which means a panel wipe. While it may not be needed with some spray sealants, I’m still of the opinion to get the surface as pristine as possible to give those sealants the best chance to perform.
    Agree, I too want what ever I put down to last as long as possible so why wouldnt someone take an extra 15ish min to do things the best they can
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Why isnt there just a "YES" answer? lol. I feel like if you want your LSP to stick you should use a panel wipe, it takes about 10-25 min to wipe down a vehicle. I use it every time Im putting an LSP on.
    25 mins is pretty conservative. You`ve to work a small enough area to wipe, swap towel and then remove residue before it`s flashed. Even with a slow flashing panel wipe in a stable environment, this could take me 45 mins even on a small car.

The underlying point though is valid.. All the work you do after this step can be undone if you cut corners at this stage.

That`s less detrimental for a short term wax rather than a long term nano coating where it would be a sin to not spend the time / learn correct technique.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a panel wipe prior to putting my LSP on whether it be a coating or sealant. I`ve only used one coating which was Gloss Coat, and for that I used OPT Paint Prep. I`ve used Gyeon Prep before too. I like them.

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes use a panel wipe after polishing, and always before applying a sealant or coating.

I have started using it as part of a rinseless wash if a sealant is being applied - wash panel, damp dry, spray with panel wipe, dry.
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

A couple questions before I can answer.

Are we talking about a specific product called "Panel Wipe". It`s capitalized in the poll header and I want to make sure I answer correctly.

If it is the general product and not a specific one, are we talking about things like Eraser and Prep, or a different category of product. I didn`t recognize any of those mentioned before and wondered if they are more pro-grade/body shop type products and not in the same class.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information