Post Thanks / Like

Coating for graphics on new Maverick?

Have a First Edition Maverick on order. Looks to be coming early ‘22 with the news that came out today. Already instructed dealer no prep/detailing. My question is about what to do with the decals that come on this model…
    Coating for graphics on new Maverick?-c88d6919-31fe-4bd5-a0d9-aff396cab5ea.jpeg
    Coating for graphics on new Maverick?-77d8a76a-0b3a-4d18-8db3-aefb048b31e2.jpeg

should I use the coating I’m using for the rest of the vehicle (probably cquk 3.0) or is there a vinyl decal special coating I should try.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Southernman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating for graphics on new Maverick?

OMG--they brought the Maverick back? I had no idea what I was going to see when I clicked on this thread. I`m guessing you`re not old enough to know what the Maverick I was picturing looked like.
    Likes Stokdgs, Southernman, Vegas1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Your guess would be wrong. I certainly do remember the old Mavericks. Think Courier or Ranchero might have been a better name.

Post Thanks / Like

They were an economy coupe that came out in 70 or so. Maybe 4 door as well.
    Formerly manicrodder.
    Joined November 2003.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southernman View Post
    They were an economy coupe that came out in 70 or so. Maybe 4 door as well.
    There was a four door. Gotta say I like the look of them now more than I did back when.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Cadfael: The about pictured vehicle SHOULD be called a Ranchero, not a Maverick. The Ford Ranchero was the car/truck equivalent to the Chevy El Camino.
    The Maverick was a small sedan in its day. My grandparents on my mom`s side had a `70 base sedan, as did my cousin, a `71 Grabber with a 3-speed manual tranny and a 302 V-8.

That seems to be a common "problem" with USA vehicle manufacturers trying to recycle/re-introduce their own copyrighted vehicle model names from the past to "new" vehicle designs. Copyrighting of ANY name has become a legal nightmare for number of products, not only vehicles.
    Then again, here`s some vehicle names you probably will not see in the foreseeable future:
    Ford Edsel
    Ford Pinto
    (Since Ford seems to eschew making sedans and the Mercury brand has been shuttled, model names like Galaxy 500, Fairlane, Futura, Murauder-Montery, Falcon-Comet, LTD, Grenada-Monarch, Grand Marque, Crown Victoria seem destined for historical reference and legal retention)

For GM it`s:
    Chevy Vega
    Chevy Corvair
    Cadillac Cimarron
    Buick Lark
    (Buick Ion from the now-defunct Saturn brand seems more likely for a new soon-to-be-introduced small electric SUV.
    Chevy will use the name "Current" since Volt and Spark is already being used internally.)
    (Same could be said of non-existent GM brands and sedan names like Wildcat, Grand Prix, Trans-Am Firebird, LeSabre, Electra, Catalina, Bonneville, Phoenix, Fiero...well, you get the idea)

Well as for as the REAL question of the this thread topic as to what to do with the decals on this First Edition Maverick, I would think there are coatings specifically designed for matte finishes that these decals may be made of. Maybe Detail 512 can answer that , since he owns Dodge/Chrysler performance vehicles and details such vehicles for others with such graphic decals
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I agree with Cadfael: The about pictured vehicle SHOULD be called a Ranchero, not a Maverick. The Ford Ranchero was the car/truck equivalent to the Chevy El Camino.
    The Maverick was a small sedan in its day. My grandparents on my mom`s side had a `70 base sedan, as did my cousin, a `71 Grabber with a 3-speed manual tranny and a 302 V-8.

That seems to be a common "problem" with USA vehicle manufacturers trying to recycle/re-introduce their own copyrighted vehicle model names from the past to "new" vehicle designs. Copyrighting of ANY name has become a legal nightmare for number of products, not only vehicles.
    Then again, here`s some vehicle names you probably will not see in the foreseeable future:
    Ford Edsel
    Ford Pinto
    (Since Ford seems to eschew making sedans and the Mercury brand has been shuttled, model names like Galaxy 500, Fairlane, Futura, Murauder-Montery, Falcon-Comet, LTD, Grenada-Monarch, Grand Marque, Crown Victoria seem destined for historical reference and legal retention)

For GM it`s:
    Chevy Vega
    Chevy Corvair
    Cadillac Cimarron
    Buick Lark
    (Buick Ion from the now-defunct Saturn brand seems more likely for a new soon-to-be-introduced small electric SUV.
    Chevy will use the name "Current" since Volt and Spark is already being used internally.)
    (Same could be said of non-existent GM brands and sedan names like Wildcat, Grand Prix, Trans-Am Firebird, LeSabre, Electra, Catalina, Bonneville, Phoenix, Fiero...well, you get the idea)

Well as for as the REAL question of the this thread topic as to what to do with the decals on this First Edition Maverick, I would think there are coatings specifically designed for matte finishes that these decals may be made of. Maybe Detail 512 can answer that , since he owns Dodge/Chrysler performance vehicles and details such vehicles for others with such graphic decals
    Never heard of a Buick Lark. Skylark yes but Lark was a Studebaker vehicle.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Don:
    Thanks for the correction and info on the Buick Skylark.
    Wasn`t there a Buick Skyhawk, the equivalent of the Chevy Monza??

Yah, who cares? We`re discussing and trying to find a good coating for vinyl matte-finish decals/appliques/striping.
    GB detailer
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

Thread Information