Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Self Cleaning Wow

‘Self Cleaning’ evokes images of little molecules with microscopic spray bottles and microfiber in my addled mind. I know this isn’t the case. Today was the first time it’s rained while we were out driving in my wife’s car - a good soaking rain. The hood was clear shortly after the rain stopped. The car is remarkably clean, just a little dirt on the bottom of the panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Self Cleaning Wow

What protection is on the car?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I think someone kidnapped the Dow Scrubbing Bubbles and trapped them in your LSP
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    What protection is on the car?
    CQuartz Lite
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This was always a major selling point for M16, and continues to be for Collinite. Although I find that FK1000P does it even better. I`ve had a hard rain take vehicles from "very dirty" to "non-Autopian clean" countless times, I actually expect it. Sure washes the pollen off just fine
    Likes CleanIt, Older, J. Martin liked this post
    Thanks Older thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    This was always a major selling point for M16, and continues to be for Collinite. Although I find that FK1000P does it even better. I`ve had a hard rain take vehicles from "very dirty" to "non-Autopian clean" countless times, I actually expect it. Sure washes the pollen off just fine
    And a coating would be on a different level entirely - it`ll blow your mind vs old tech waxes which in my experience have comparatively poor self cleaning.
    Likes The Guz, Cadfael, J. Martin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    And a coating would be on a different level entirely - it`ll blow your mind vs old tech waxes which in my experience have comparatively poor self cleaning.
    Eh, I dunno...IME, the OptiCoat I used on some wheels wasn`t significantly better than the FK1000P. Couldn`t really tell much of *any* difference in that regard and thus haven`t bothered Coating anything else since. The durability was nice, but that was the only discernible difference and the less-user-friendly application was a huge turn-off for me.
    Likes Older, Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what you put on wheels they`ll get dirty, coatings only really help to make them easier cleaned with fewer bonded contaminants. Waxes are hopeless on wheels and I find get dirtier quicker and constantly need decontaminated and topped up.

Paintwork there is simply no contest. Old tech vs new tech. A lite ceramic is as easy, if not easier than a wax to apply, the difference is that the lite coating requires prep to have any kind of durability.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    No matter what you put on wheels they`ll get dirty, coatings only really help to make them easier cleaned with fewer bonded contaminants. Waxes are hopeless on wheels and I find get dirtier quicker and constantly need decontaminated and topped up...
    Nah..since my experience with the OptiCoat I`ve just done my wheels with the FK1000P and the only diff is more frequent reapplication.

I don`t mean to be argumentative, but it seems we`ve had differing experiences. My conventional LSPs (with the exception of Souveran) work fine on my wheels, and have for over 40 years or else I wouldn`t keep using them. They just need redone somewhat often.

I`ve used the Opticoat on wheels with different finishes and the "painted" ones (which I suspect were actually powdercoated) can`t be that different from the paint on the rest of the car. I am confident that I know what to expect from *that* particular Coating, which I gather isn`t inferior to the ones offered today and might`ve even been better. If I thought it was anything special, I might`ve done more than just a few sets of wheels with it, but no...I get the same performance, *over a shorter period of time*, from an utterly Accumulator-proof product that`s far easier for *me* to use.

(Note that my new normal vision is a huge factor with regard to what is/isn`t Accumulator-proof )

BUT that`s just *my* experience, and !YMMV! always applies with this Detailing stuff. Just can`t always assume that the newest/bestest is really any better than the stuff that`s been around since forever..gotta try `em yourself and see what works for *you*.
    Likes Older liked this post
    Thanks Older thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Though you are entitled to your opinion this isn`t a debate about your preferences or what you perceive to be easier to use, it is a thread about self-cleaning and I am simply saying that there is no contest for self cleaning and you would struggle to convince anyone on here of anything different.

Dare I say that you stick to what you know and like, so I am surprised you feel compelled to debate the point. I`ve always found it really strange that someone can spend so much time on a car detailing product forum and never really have any interest in new products or upping their game, for me that`s what it`s all about! Unless you try some of the products in this category you will remain in the dark about the benefits. Opti Coat is not a dedicated wheel ceramic, nor do ceramic coatings on wheels display as strong a self cleaning effect as they do on paint as I explained above.
    Likes Cadfael, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used a lot of waxes and sealants since I started detailing in the mid 2000’s. I haven’t seen anything that I’d describe as self cleaning until this coating.
    Likes atbalfour, CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I’ve used a lot of waxes and sealants since I started detailing in the mid 2000’s. I haven’t seen anything that I’d describe as self cleaning until this coating.
    I am in a similar boat, knew nothing but waxes and QDs including FK1000P until roughly 4 years ago. Detailing isn`t an exact science or we`d all be using the same products and have the same routine but there is a clear difference to anyone willing to acknowledge it. There are plenty of reasons people prefer to use a wax rather than a coating which I get, but without exception the compromise is performance and durability.

Post Thanks / Like

[Original post DELETED]

Huh, guess I didn`t express myself properly.

Heh heh, if I could still "up my game" at this stuff after 40-some years I`d quit wasting my time at it. And speaking of wasting my time...funny how, no matter how little time I spend here, somebody will continue to comment on their perception of same, and in a seemingly critical manner. OK..

But, back on-topic:

I did want to point out that the OCW I use on my wife`s A8 is simply worthless in that regard, so in some cases I do agree that conventional LSPs aren`t any good at that.
    Likes RPPM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What are the attributes that create a good self cleaning product? Hydrophobicity, beading?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it`s two part.
    1. The product prevents any foreign debris from stubbornly clinging/adhering to the LSP itself
    2. Great sheeting action that helps carry away the surface debris with the water as it runs off the vehicle.

The free natural car washes while my car sits in the parking lot at work is always a bonus, but I`ve come to appreciate bug removal even more. On a recent road trip my car was horribly plastered with bugs on one leg of the trip. While filling up with gas I was looking at the mess and imagining the level of effort to clean everything up. Shortly after that I drove through a deluge of a thunderstorm. When I got to my destination, all the bugs were gone. Problem solved. With sealants I`d used in the past there would have been some remaining bug guts to clean up.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes CleanIt, Older liked this post
    Thanks CleanIt, Older thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information