Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dag Nabbit, coating high spots

Had good luck with the CCS orange hand pad and Mezerna SF4000. The door I did I couple of days ago with the halogen work light pointed at it from the side was the worst by far. I was exhausted by the time I got to it. I had done the hand buffing in spots, polished the rear fender with the G9, and applied a layer of the Lite to that panel. I ended up going over that door with G9 on 1 with an orange LC flat pad and SF4000. I’m torn whether I want to try to put more lite on those areas or just leave it and see when it fails relative to the other panels. The best panel for high spots was the hood. It was under the fluorescent fixture when I did it. The high spots were all at the edges of panels, especially at the bottom where it turns under the trim.

here’s the before pic, I’ll get the after in a bit...
    Dag Nabbit, coating high spots-5b7e5a09-4962-4618-8f72-c89200f4582d.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s the after, but sun is brighter.
    Dag Nabbit, coating high spots-dc6e499d-9712-4aa1-a776-d7b03da5efaf.jpeg

better but still see a spot or two I might take care of later. The rear passenger door is pretty bad. I went ahead and applied bit where I machined earlier and it look good. But there’s a definite line between. Going to leave it for now until I can’t stand it any more.

think I got the back panel pretty good with the second coat. There was a bit more shadow a the sun had gone just over the car. Still could see the high spots well enough. Is there a trick when you level to the edge? A technique to make it better?

here’s the back panel after second coat...
    Dag Nabbit, coating high spots-1510ed4f-ac83-496b-a0f7-154c45312d8d.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It ‘s more work now but alot less for the next year+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Cadfael, dgage, Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadfael --
    Looks great !
    I never push a coating, anything, TO an edge, I start AT the edge and work Away from it..

That way I can see what happened at that edge After I put the applicator down and pressing lightly, moved my applicator away from the edge..

You have to absolutely have great overhead and perhaps even big, high, scangrips or something aimed at your work from the side, if you really want to see exactly what is happening..

I know, some say too much lighting = I can`t see.. Fine... I like lot of lighting so I Can see..

Practice with the applicator, going across a surface keeping it exactly at the same height and pressure all the way to the end of your arm travel..

I guess all that auto painting, house painting, in my lifetime helped me get that part perfect...

You can still do it, but you need near perfect to perfect lighting and control of amount of product and downward pressure, to help you not leave extra product at someplace and/or the ends of each pass..

If you can -see- you are leaving too much product on that application line, you can adjust, go back to that high spot and get some of it off, as you continue to the end of that travel line on the panel..

Also have to mind how much product is on your applicator..Too much absorbed by the applicator makes more chance to leave too much on the panel..
    That`s why I choose to use an applicator that absorbs very little product over the entire vehicle application..
    Dan F
    Likes Cadfael, jem7sk liked this post
    Thanks Cadfael thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing y’all talked me down. Video popped up today that said CarPro recommends wet sanding down high spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Good thing y’all talked me down. Video popped up today that said CarPro recommends wet sanding down high spots.
    None of their coating require wet sanding. This includes their professional coatings.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Coatings=crack, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    None of their coating require wet sanding. This includes their professional coatings.
    You mean a “pro” detailer on YouTube didn’t know what they were talking about!?!? The surprise! The horror!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Since I started moving outside and putting the panel in I direct sun as much as possible I’m having much better luck. Did the front bumper and back end today and so far so good. (Actually I’m between coats lol)
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Since I started moving outside and putting the panel in I direct sun as much as possible I’m having much better luck. Did the front bumper and back end today and so far so good. (Actually I’m between coats lol)
    Cadfael --
    So glad you are getting great results ! Keep going forward !!

Did I ever ask you what are you using for your applicator ??
    Dan F
    Likes Cadfael liked this post
    Thanks Cadfael thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Cadfael --
    So glad you are getting great results ! Keep going forward !!

Did I ever ask you what are you using for your applicator ??
    Dan F
    Mostly the two little mf mitts that came with it. Been trying very hard to get them in a bucket with microrestore as soon as I’m done with them. They’ve kept up ok but are starting to get past it. I’ve also used a little low nap mf applicator I had laying around (sucked up too much product) and some suede squares and block that came in a Gyeon Q2 Trim kit.

Post Thanks / Like

For your next round, the Autofiber Thin Saver applicators are highly regarded.
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information