Post Thanks / Like

Educate me on coatings

I`m hearing a lot about coatings these days (I`ve been away for a while). From what I`ve seen on YT demonstrations it looks easier to apply than wax. Why wouldn`t everyone use it? Especially since it supposedly last a very long time. Which ones last the longest?

From pictures I`ve seen it gives the paint a wet look too.. it all seems like positives to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Educate me on coatings

Cost per application for a coating is significantly higher than traditional waxes or sealants.

Application can be harder depending on the coating.

If you make a mistake when applying it you could end up in a situation where you need to polish the panel and start over. Just hope you have enough coating left to cover the panel otherwise you have to shell out for more.

They are more prone to water spots too.

Those are a few downsides I can think of.
    Likes jem7sk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Educate me on coatings

Applying a true coating is more difficult than wax. The coating usually has a flash time where you need to wait to remove. Wait to long and difficult to remove. Miss a spot during removal and you’ll have high spots. Not really harder but more time consuming. Just need to pay attention.

A coating light like Gyeon Cancoat though. Almost as easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    They are more prone to water spots too.
    Never have used a coating on my paint- but hearing this in the past is why I have never used one. I have enough trouble as it is with water spotting.

If I knew that wasn`t the case- I would probably try one . I put some on my wheels and was not impressed with the results so far

Post Thanks / Like

Educate me on coatings

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    Never have used a coating on my paint- but hearing this in the past is why I have never used one. I have enough trouble as it is with water spotting.

If I knew that wasn`t the case- I would probably try one . I put some on my wheels and was not impressed with the results so far
    Some newer ones are better.

CarPro SIC is more resistant to water spots compared to CarPro UK 3.0 for instance.

Post Thanks / Like

The application itself may not be, some coatings are very easy to apply and remove. However, it’s the preparation required to apply them that is a lot more work and IS more difficult. Get one part wrong and it’s been a waste of time.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a long time coating user and will say the application, while not all that hard, is not easier than a sealant or wax. I find it takes a little more effort and attention to the application to make sure it goes on right and to avoid any high spots. For me the benefits of having a long lasting LSP on my car that saves me time on the maintenance and makes washing the car easier validates the time/effort to do the work.

I`ve used a few coatings and don`t recall encountering any water spotting issues; At least not when using CQuartz UK or CanCoat.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like coating a vehicle might be more trouble than it is worth, though when I have a car prepped I think it would be fairly easy for me to put one on. I`d definitely love the longevity of it.

I noticed Optimum has a new and improved HyperSeal that is supposed to last over a year. Wonder if it would be simple to use for a beginner?

Thread Information