• No

10 29.41%
  • Only when the coating is curing

0 0%
  • If I’m topping with a sealant, why not just use a sealant

3 8.82%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you use a topper on your coating?

Not any more. Now I don’t use anything other than a very light drying aid (like dilute Last Touch or similar). Instead, I just make sure that the coating’s surface is clean and contaminant free and let the coating do the work it was designed to do. It’s a sacrificial layer, let it do its job. You then know how long it actually lasts, and when it actually starts to fail instead of being confused by what is the topper and what is the coating.
    Likes Stokdgs, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would, I have, *NEVER* topped a Coating as to me that defeats the whole idea. Which, again *just for me* is that with the Coating I can just wash for ages without having to do anything else. If I were willing to anything more than that I`d just use FK1000P annually or so and spritz on some FK425 as a Drying Aid.

Note that now that Coatings are supposedly not lasting multiple years the way my old Optimum ones did, I`ve basically quit paying any attention to `em, so it`s not like I`m claiming to be a Coating Authority....
    Likes bad penny, William_Wallace, Scottwax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t use toppers. I feel If you have to do that what`s the point?
    Likes Cadfael, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Further to my above response, the attached photo is the best visual representation of why I have moved away from toppers and continually putting things on coatings.

I recently had a couple of weeks off from work so I popped down my buddy’s detailing unit to have a chat and got roped in to helping out for a week. I’m a sucker. Anyway, one of the cars I worked on was the one in the photo. It was looked after, in the sense that the owner liked to frequently use topper products on it when he did his own washes, and to help mask the swirls, always knowing he would be bringing in for a full correction and coating. He complained that over time though, the water behaviour and gloss just never got to the levels they were at when he first used the products and he thought they might have got weaker in the bottle over time.

I’m sure you’ve all come across this kind of ‘film’ on the paint of cars. This was after the strong wash and I was removing the tar from the vehicle. It is essentially layers and layers of QD’s/spray sealants on the paint. They are now so durable that by using them every wash, they never really wear off. Add to this, the car picks up bits of contamination from sap, hard water, bugs etc and this then gets trapped within the next layer of topper. Of course, each of these layers are sub micron thick, but once the contamination has been added and preserved, if it is not removed and gets topped and topped there gets to a point where you might be using the most hydrophobic product known to man, but if it’s added on top of this base (which is invisible until I sprayed tar remover on the car) it merely becomes average. The coating is more than clogged, and it’s clogged by more than contamination.

I’m seeing more and more of it, and it convinces me that the best thing to do is to keep the coating surface as functionally effective as possible by keeping it as clean as possible and leave it do what it was designed to do. Otherwise, you are essentially treating the coating like the clear coat and using toppers like we used to use waxes and sealants not that long ago. Do you use a topper on your coating?-298c8128-09d6-4861-be89-8c06543cbb7b.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Cadfael, dgage, Loach, acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cymru am byth, Rosco. That’s very interesting and I hadn’t thought about that.
    Likes roscopervis liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    I don`t use toppers. I feel If you have to do that what`s the point?
    What`s the point of putting Collinite 845 over Jescar Powerlock, the point of putting a spray wax over paste, the point of putting Beadmaker over anything given it`s rather mundane water behavior and limited protective capabilities? Mostly personal preference and a belief that doing so brings some benefit, tangible or not, to the table.

Why do folks use EXO over CSL, CarPro SiC over UK 3.0? Both CSL and UK 3.0 are great coatings on their own but CSL is visually boring in the rain and SiC apparently adds slickness to UK 3.0 and people enjoy those attributes the base coatings lack. Maybe `toppers` enhance base coatings in the same fashion those particular topcoats do.

I usually squirt Polish Angel Cosmic or High Gloss Spritz on our coated cars for a variety of reasons, usually choosing one or the other for a particular car based in part upon my perception of their visual differences I think I see. Could i really tell the difference in a `blind taste test` if someone switched labels on me...probably not. But if I *think* it`s does, do I really even care? Nope. And I just plain like doing it; the smell (Crayola crayons to me...good memories!), the feel of the trigger pull and the fine mist of purple goodness hitting a lavender 350gsm Eagle Edgeless, the smoothness of application and satisfaction of the final buff...sometimes ya gotta stop trying to `science the heck` outta everything and enjoy the process and results, real or perceived. Do you use a topper on your coating?

Can ya go too far and take a step backwards, some times irrecoverably...sure ya can but once you find that line, no reason to not run up to it if it brings satisfaction. Things done just for fun are still worth doing.
    Likes bad penny, The Guz, atbalfour, bob m, Vegas1 and 3 others liked this post
    Thanks Marine Clerk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    What`s the point of putting Collinite 845 over Jescar Powerlock, the point of putting a spray wax over paste, the point of putting Beadmaker over anything given it`s rather mundane water behavior and limited protective capabilities? Mostly personal preference and a belief that doing so brings some benefit, tangible or not, to the table.

Why do folks use EXO over CSL, CarPro SiC over UK 3.0? Both CSL and UK 3.0 are great coatings on their own but CSL is visually boring in the rain and SiC apparently adds slickness to UK 3.0 and people enjoy those attributes the base coatings lack. Maybe `toppers` enhance base coatings in the same fashion those particular topcoats do.

I usually squirt Polish Angel Cosmic or High Gloss Spritz on our coated cars for a variety of reasons, usually choosing one or the other for a particular car based in part upon my perception of their visual differences I think I see. Could i really tell the difference in a `blind taste test` if someone switched labels on me...probably not. But if I *think* it`s does, do I really even care? Nope. And I just plain like doing it; the smell (Crayola crayons to me...good memories!), the feel of the trigger pull and the fine mist of purple goodness hitting a lavender 350gsm Eagle Edgeless, the smoothness of application and satisfaction of the final buff...sometimes ya gotta stop trying to `science the heck` outta everything and enjoy the process and results, real or perceived. Do you use a topper on your coating?

Can ya go too far and take a step backwards, some times irrecoverably...sure ya can but once you find that line, no reason to not run up to it if it brings satisfaction. Things done just for fun are still worth doing.
    I`ve reached the point in life where I don`t want 14 different (duplicate) products on my shelves. The coatings that I use hold up well enough on their own. Could the vehicle look a little better using a spray topping? Maybe, but honestly they re lucky just to get washed a few times each year.
    99 % of my customer base feels the same I`m sure. For those that are more persnickety I point them towards a topping but leave that decision to them to wrestle with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    99 % of my customer base feels the same I`m sure. For those that are more persnickety I point them towards a topping but leave that decision to them to wrestle with.
    Ah, indeed that is a different ballgame! As a garage dweller, my only customer (and an occasional PITA one at that) is me Do you use a topper on your coating?

Lotsa products to try can be fun, mostly for curiosity. Now, I`ve got a jug of Gtech Citrus Foam, a jug of CarPro Reset, 500ml each of Cosmic & High Gloss and a ?bottle? of Gyeon QuickView and that`ll be about all i need until Fall...and then some.
    Likes bad penny, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post
    Further to my above response, the attached photo is the best visual representation of why I have moved away from toppers and continually putting things on coatings.

I recently had a couple of weeks off from work so I popped down my buddy’s detailing unit to have a chat and got roped in to helping out for a week. I’m a sucker. Anyway, one of the cars I worked on was the one in the photo. It was looked after, in the sense that the owner liked to frequently use topper products on it when he did his own washes, and to help mask the swirls, always knowing he would be bringing in for a full correction and coating. He complained that over time though, the water behaviour and gloss just never got to the levels they were at when he first used the products and he thought they might have got weaker in the bottle over time.

I’m sure you’ve all come across this kind of ‘film’ on the paint of cars. This was after the strong wash and I was removing the tar from the vehicle. It is essentially layers and layers of QD’s/spray sealants on the paint. They are now so durable that by using them every wash, they never really wear off. Add to this, the car picks up bits of contamination from sap, hard water, bugs etc and this then gets trapped within the next layer of topper. Of course, each of these layers are sub micron thick, but once the contamination has been added and preserved, if it is not removed and gets topped and topped there gets to a point where you might be using the most hydrophobic product known to man, but if it’s added on top of this base (which is invisible until I sprayed tar remover on the car) it merely becomes average. The coating is more than clogged, and it’s clogged by more than contamination.

I’m seeing more and more of it, and it convinces me that the best thing to do is to keep the coating surface as functionally effective as possible by keeping it as clean as possible and leave it do what it was designed to do. Otherwise, you are essentially treating the coating like the clear coat and using toppers like we used to use waxes and sealants not that long ago.
    I used to be a bit of a topper wh*re as you know - but as great as the buzz I got from topping the car, I have moved away for it for multiple reasons:

- As you say it is fundamentally counter productive to repeatedly apply any semi-durable and semi-chemical resistant product without full (road film, iron, tar, limescale) decontamination. I ran a test some months ago to confirm this - a freshly applied topper product applied to half a panel stopped an iron remover from reacting to iron on that side. It`s a test that is easy to do and something I would recommend to anyone who has access to a badly contaminated test panel. As I have posted elsewhere, I have really struggled to find a topper which itself will provide 3 months of top top performance between my quarterly decon washes.. if I had, I`d likely still use it quarterly over a coating. Instead, my preference has been to apply a lite-coating as and when required (this could be once every 9-10 months).

- Further to that, Loach did some fantastic gloss measurement comparisons and in nearly every case that I can recall a second layer of an LSP reduced the measurable `gloss`, and that`s on decontaminated, polished paint. I can only imagine that sandwiching in contamination between the layers and clogging the pores of the coating will have further worse results. All these buzz words of `depth, flake pop, wet look` are what toppers promise and what makes them `great`... but it`s crazily subjective and in my view one big placebo effect.. A jetting effect does exist, I don`t know if anyone else saw Kamikaze showing 50/50s of the jetting (or darkening effect) of the new Overcoat 4.0 - it is impressive, though they seem to have missed that the other half of the panel had significantly more clarity. Is `jetting` really all that when it`s undoing the hard work of paint correction?!

- Toppers `fail` in different ways, many in a way that compromise the self cleaning and hydrophobic properties of the underlying coating... e.g. CarPro Reload which after 3-4 weeks would make even 4 week old CQuartz sheet water -- the sheer number of these posts on Facebook detailing groups is crazy. The response to this is often re-topping which only makes the problem worse and reoccur faster. The solution is of course that the failed Reload should be chemically removed then the bottle forever binned.

- In the case of pretty much every topper I have tried (20+) none have lasted anywhere near as long as they have when applied standalone to unpolished, bare paint. It is often extremely difficult to determine what is the coating vs what is the topper (another downside in itself!) but I just do not believe they can adhere to the surface, in fact I have seen a couple of manufacturers recently halve their durability claims when a product is being used as a top layer to a coating.

- The process of applying `most` toppers involves touching the paint, and due to imperfect conditions and equipment touching the paint can induce marring and scratches on medium to soft paint, even with perfect technique. When you have perfectly polished paint that you have agonised over, when you avoid quicker towel drying in favour of more time consuming use of a blower or a DI vessel, it feels counter productive to then smear an LSP over dry paint with a product dampened microfibre to then buff the largely dry residue with a dry microfibre.

The benefits are clear, they provide an element of short term `protection` to the underlying coating from water spots etc., they are often more hydrophobic than the underlying coating, they are in most cases slicker and provide a short term gloss boost. As much as I`ve searched, I can`t find one that fits my decon routine and offers everything that I am looking for. That`s pretty much the main reason why I`ve opted for CarPro SiC (which is one of the most rounded consumer coatings available) on my car.. there is no topper which can `improve` any of it`s characteristics, however they may prolong it`s life. I`ll continue to experiment with toppers on the wife`s car where the stakes are lower

This has been a subject I have spent a tonne of time and money researching for myself, on my own as well as many other cars I detail and maintain and the results are extremely consistent. YMMV

Post Thanks / Like

It’s safe to say that our ideas have evolved to a similar position, though from quite different starting points!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very different! Mind you, what Budget has said above is equally as valid and as with other things in life I am known to get too caught up with the `right way` to do things and that eventually detailing will become another process rather than a hobby!!

"Things done just for fun are still worth doing"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Very different! Mind you, what Budget has said above is equally as valid and as with other things in life I am known to get too caught up with the `right way` to do things and that eventually detailing will become another process rather than a hobby!!

"Things done just for fun are still worth doing"
    That is the tightrope I’m continually trying to walk. Got to remember it’s just a hobby and for me, as soon as things become more than a hobby, they get annoying and boring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Ah, indeed that is a different ballgame! As a garage dweller, my only customer (and an occasional PITA one at that) is me Do you use a topper on your coating?

Lotsa products to try can be fun, mostly for curiosity. Now, I`ve got a jug of Gtech Citrus Foam, a jug of CarPro Reset, 500ml each of Cosmic & High Gloss and a ?bottle? of Gyeon QuickView and that`ll be about all i need until Fall...and then some.
    I`m familiar with customers like you. They eventually burn out. It`s usually grandchildren that change their priorities which I`ve always found odd.

Enjoy while you still do...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post

I’m seeing more and more of it, and it convinces me that the best thing to do is to keep the coating surface as functionally effective as possible by keeping it as clean as possible and leave it do what it was designed to do. Otherwise, you are essentially treating the coating like the clear coat and using toppers like we used to use waxes and sealants not that long ago. Do you use a topper on your coating?-298c8128-09d6-4861-be89-8c06543cbb7b.jpeg
    I’d chalk it up to improper care. Topped my car ALOT for over a year and a half on top of CqUk3 and have no issues with clogging, film. Proper maintenance wash every 4-5 months and was good as gold.

Also if protection is your aspect then i’d agree. Coating may not last as long but leave the better protection alone.

The thing is though alot of us do it for protection and looks. To me any Coating i’ve topped was visually more appealing (gloss, pop) topped with Cosmic or OverCoat.

Your friend just needs a better wash routine. Tell him to get some Bilt Hamber Auto Foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes The Guz, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I’d chalk it up to improper care. Topped my car ALOT for over a year and a half on top of CqUk3 and have no issues with clogging, film. Proper maintenance wash every 4-5 months and was good as gold.

Also if protection is your aspect then i’d agree. Coating may not last as long but leave the better protection alone.

The thing is though alot of us do it for protection and looks. To me any Coating i’ve topped was visually more appealing (gloss, pop) topped with Cosmic or OverCoat.

Your friend just needs a better wash routine. Tell him to get some Bilt Hamber Auto Foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You and I are doing it from a place of more experience and learning. This was a customer`s car coming into my friend`s detailing business to be professionally corrected and coated (by uh...me!!) The point I was trying to raise is that many people don`t go to the trouble of doing good maintenance washes before topping their cars. The typical logic is - Oh, my water behaviour is going a bit flat, I best add a topper. This doesn`t take into account WHY it is going flat. If the coating is decently hydrophobic and 3 months old, it shouldn`t be going flat so there is something else at play and topping it will not be the best solution. However, this is what people do and they add another layer of something (like SnS/C2v3/Polish Angel Destillierte Einhorn Tranen) over the thing causing the beading to become flat gaining a temporary boost, but encapsulating it within that typically durable layer of sealant. They will do this fairly frequently as well, maybe every month, thinking it is the thing to do.

The most I will do is use a rinseless wash containing a slight protection element or a QD with a durability of one rain shower these days. I`ve got a few ideas I want to test out soon, one involving my daily driver and a patchwork of different products over it, much like Chicago Auto Pros have done with their Lexus.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information