Post Thanks / Like

First go and impression with CQuartz Lite

So as my very first coating, and after much thought carried out on this and the other forum, I chose CQuartz lite. Thought it would be a good balance of ease of use and being close to a ‘full’ coating in application. I also chose it because if I had gone the full blown coating route I was heavily leaning toward CQUK3 and Gliss v2.

It arrived yesterday and I broke it out just now. The packaging was nice and the instructions pretty good. It was fairly easy to apply. However, their was one problem. I couldn’t get it to come out of the stopper top. Took it off, had to remove the glove and got it all over my hand. Seemed clear so I put it back on. Still no joy. So again, top off, covered in solvent. Now I had to approximate ‘drops’ on the applicator. Think I managed ok but it was a pain for a first time user. Don’t know if that had anything to do with it being a batch from last year.

Problem #2... as I was going back for my second ‘leveling pass’ with the included mf towel*, I noticed a drip that was hard as a rock. Probably a combination of user error and problem #1. Best solution to fix?

* After application to a small area, I leveled with an old but paint safe short nap mf towel. When I did 2 or 3 sections that way, depending on size, I’d go back over with the included towel to hope to get any spots I missed.

put the applicator and the towels I used in a bucket with warm water and 1.5 oz of MicroRestore to try and save the towels me applicator. We’ll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First go and impression with CQuartz Lite

Second application put on a bit over an hour later. In between I had washed all the towels and the applicator. Didn’t notice a single hard crystal so I used them again. No problem with scratches on the second coat. Also found a little paint brush with a pointy end and cleared out the hole on the plastic dripper top and it worked this time around. Maybe it had gotten turned upside down in the mail and dried over?

Didn’t bother with the two towel buffing method this time through, just used the included towel. No problems.

I had gone over the drip with more product as soon as I noticed it. It was still noticeable. However, when I went back and applied the second coat I couldn’t find it.

My wife has an errand to run tomorrow and we have a pretty good chance of rain. I don’t have ReLoad but think I should go over it something in about an hour, or at least before bed. First Choice, some prima Hyrdo, the original stuff. It’s easy to apply and will last just long enough. Second choice would be optiseal. Thoughts?

Final results...
    4488F894-FBB1-4559-817D-BE31A79719B0.jpeg
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful putting anything over the coating. These coatings take weeks to cure. Maybe a little less time for the "lite" ones. You can accelerate the process by parking the vehicle in direct sunlight.

Even roload can affect the coating durability even though that is the recommended topper to protect the coating from water while it cures.

I would not use a product that is not formulated specifically to go over as coating. You very well might ruin the coating. I`d stick with CarPro Reload, Gyeon Cure, TAC Quartz Max, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

From suggestions on the other forum, I’ve decided to not put anything over it. They say you can put reload on after an hour, but don’t have any of that (and it doesn’t seem to be highly rated). On a couple of videos, they said it cured fully in four hours - but not to get any water on it for 48 hours? I think I’ll take the risk. The chance for rain doesn’t start till late afternoon and maybe I can get my better half to run her errand across town earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t like reload myself either but if I bought a carpro coating and needed to protect the car from water I`d pick some up.

I don`t know who is saying the coating cures that quickly. If it is one of the seasoned posters over there like Guz then I`ll believe it. If it is just YouTubers I don`t believe it.

Pro shops (and hardcore hobbyists) have IR lamps to accelerate the curing process. If coatings cured that quickly a lot fewer places would spend the money and time on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the one I definitely remember is the YouTuber has a thread on here about him that’s going on several pages. However, the printed material in the box jives with at least the 48 hour part and the one hour to ReLoad part.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you not look at the weather forecast before applying today? I doubt there will be much (if any) consequences if it gets wet in less then 24 hours but I would have tried to avoid that.

I would also have waited 24 hours before applying the second coat.

What is the life expectancy of this so called "lite" coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Well, the one I definitely remember is the YouTuber has a thread on here about him that’s going on several pages. However, the printed material in the box jives with at least the 48 hour part and the one hour to ReLoad part.
    Best thing you can do is quit watching YouTube detailers. They`re really not detailers at all just salesmen trying to bust your wallet
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    Did you not look at the weather forecast before applying today? I doubt there will be much (if any) consequences if it gets wet in less then 24 hours but I would have tried to avoid that.

I would also have waited 24 hours before applying the second coat.

What is the life expectancy of this so called "lite" coating?
    It wasn’t there earlier in the day on the weather. The time from application to second layer to complete curing was one of the reasons I chose a Lite coating. Expectancy = 6+ months but Guz and others have stated closer to a year plus.

Post Thanks / Like

So as my very first coating, and after much thought carried out on this and the other forum, I chose CQuartz lite. Thought it would be a good balance of ease of use and being close to a ‘full’ coating in application. I also chose it because if I had gone the full blown coating route I was heavily leaning toward CQUK3 and Gliss v2.

It arrived yesterday and I broke it out just now. The packaging was nice and the instructions pretty good. It was fairly easy to apply. However, their was one problem. I couldn’t get it to come out of the stopper top. Took it off, had to remove the glove and got it all over my hand. Seemed clear so I put it back on. Still no joy. So again, top off, covered in solvent. Now I had to approximate ‘drops’ on the applicator. Think I managed ok but it was a pain for a first time user. Don’t know if that had anything to do with it being a batch from last year.

Problem #2... as I was going back for my second ‘leveling pass’ with the included mf towel*, I noticed a drip that was hard as a rock. Probably a combination of user error and problem #1. Best solution to fix?

* After application to a small area, I leveled with an old but paint safe short nap mf towel. When I did 2 or 3 sections that way, depending on size, I’d go back over with the included towel to hope to get any spots I missed.

put the applicator and the towels I used in a bucket with warm water and 1.5 oz of MicroRestore to try and save the towels me applicator. We’ll see.
    Always good to have and buy more towels. They load up with product and can lead to high spots.

Seems like you figured out the topper was plugged. It should have come with a silver foil covering the opening.

I posted this in another thread that I had but having a pipette comes in handy if the topper was ever bad.

Second application put on a bit over an hour later. In between I had washed all the towels and the applicator. Didn’t notice a single hard crystal so I used them again. No problem with scratches on the second coat. Also found a little paint brush with a pointy end and cleared out the hole on the plastic dripper top and it worked this time around. Maybe it had gotten turned upside down in the mail and dried over?

Didn’t bother with the two towel buffing method this time through, just used the included towel. No problems.

I had gone over the drip with more product as soon as I noticed it. It was still noticeable. However, when I went back and applied the second coat I couldn’t find it.

My wife has an errand to run tomorrow and we have a pretty good chance of rain. I don’t have ReLoad but think I should go over it something in about an hour, or at least before bed. First Choice, some prima Hyrdo, the original stuff. It’s easy to apply and will last just long enough. Second choice would be optiseal. Thoughts?

Final results...
    If you don`t have Reload then don`t put any of those over it. I believe Opti seal is solvent based. I could be wrong as I have not used it in a very long time.

When it comes to high spots with Lite, just add a bit more over the spot. There is a good amount of time where one can reactivate it with more product and remove it. Here is info from CarPro`s site.

Use a CARPRO 2Face Towel to remove any excess. CQUARTZ Lite does not need to be left to cure on the surface so it should be removed immediately. Check well with an appropriate light source to ensure you remove any high spots (excess product that was not leveled) or residue. Note: For a short period of time after application, high spots that were not removed immediately can be corrected by applying more CQUARTZ Lite on that area and wiping off immediately.

From suggestions on the other forum, I’ve decided to not put anything over it. They say you can put reload on after an hour, but don’t have any of that (and it doesn’t seem to be highly rated). On a couple of videos, they said it cured fully in four hours - but not to get any water on it for 48 hours? I think I’ll take the risk. The chance for rain doesn’t start till late afternoon and maybe I can get my better half to run her errand across town earlier.
    Lite has a 4 hour cure time before it can get wet. This is the full statement by CarPro. You should be ok. You could always wipe down any water or blow it off with a blower.

After the paint is free of residue, leave to dry for 4 hours prior to getting wet. Any water drops during first 48h should be removed before drying to prevent water spotting. We also recommend the use of CARPRO Reload1 hour after application to protect from water spots during first 48h.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz. I tried at first to get the run out with reapplication, guess when I went over it again with the second application it worked. I wish I had a pipette/dropper like that. I’ll have to get one before I do that the next time. It did have the foil pull tap over the hole.

I decided not to use anything over it. I’ll dry it somehow if it does get wet but I’m betting it won’t. If it does, and the weatherman is right, it will be about 24 hours since application.
    Likes noorth liked this post

Thread Information