NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johnson`s Paste Wax

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Waste not, want not.

Johnson`s Paste Wax-l500-2.jpg
    Older --
    Hope you guys are all safe and well..
    I remember that yellow can !!! When I read your post, my mind went back to that yellow can, and look - there it is !
    Thanks for the picture and the memories !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

johnson answer to simonize.

Post Thanks / Like

Older:
    How old IS that can???

Yes, Johnson Wax was one of the first to bring carnauba wax from South America (Brazil?) by their own airplanes. It has obviously morphed into other consumer home-car chemicals.
    I cut-and-pasted this "humorous" list of carnuaba wax uses I wrote about from another thread (AGAIN, Captain Obvious? It`s getting old, like you!):

Anyway, here are some "other" uses for carnauba waxes: (Please do not laugh at some of them; remember I am "a seasoned detailer" with "experience")
    1) Snow-blower chutes and lawnmower under-decks to keep snow and wet grass from sticking, respectively.
    2) Slide rule inner log linear vernier (AKA, moving stick part) (Don`t ask what a slide rule is unless you are an engineer or mathematician)
    3) Kid`s bicycles (Good way to develop relationships with neighborhood young people, plus the bad ones do not egg your house at Halloween or in their later years in High School, at Homecoming time. Just sayin`...)
    4) Appliances (especially painted/powder coated refrigerators at holiday time; guests and family are dumbfounded with the shine)
    5) Wooden drawer slides or glides
    6) Driving in nails or screws in hardwoods (an old woodworker`s and carpenter`s trick)
    7) Air conditioner compressor housings or generator enclosures (service tech`s cannot believe what they see)
    8) Painted metal doors (especially white painted aluminum screen or outer doors)
    9) Wood doors edges that are tight in the frame (like those that swell in summer)
    10) Model metal car collections (S100 makes my unboxed 1/24-scale 911 Porsches ready for the holidays)
    11) Varnished wood acoustic guitars or colored lacquer electric guitars(Meg`s M16 was actually a preferred wax by some guitar makers)
    12) Metal or plastic playground slides (Use caution: taller slides can REALLY send small kids flying if adults are unaware of a "waxed" slide, as the kid becomes a small projectile that the adult may not catch or get knocked over with at the slide end)
    13) Toboggan or saucer bottoms (MUCH cheaper than ski wax)
    14) Snow shovels for wet snow OR Dirt shovels or spades for clay (Works REALLY well)
    15) Linoleum or tile floors for sliding across with wool socks on for the longest-distance slide "competitions" (OK, I did this as a kid and it was HIGHLY dangerous and frowned upon by my parents, not to mention the "difficulty" in removing with ammonia cleaners and elbow grease by said applicator!!)
    16) Bathroom porcelain sinks and toilets and fiberglass shower stalls (DO NOT do the toilet seat!! Women will slide off; NOT pretty especially if it is your Mom or significant other)
    17) Black leather shoes as an emergency shoe-polish substitute (Patten-leather REALLY likes M16)

As you can see, I have used carnauba waxes for a lot of "non-vehicle" applications, model cars and bikes as the exceptions.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Was the biggy until Rain Dance hit the market for consumers.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes DAC17 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think they had a government recall recently. I wouldn`t use it
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If such happened would have been due to VOC regulation such as happened to Mequiar`s #16
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very Nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    I think they had a government recall recently. I wouldn`t use it
    That was just a pause--which was lifted. We can go back to injecting it so we have shiny veins.
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My Mother and Aunt used that Johnson`s on furniture, but never on their vehicles. Those got Simonize (which both ladies hated) until the M16 came out. And yeah, Aunt Irene did switch to Rain Dance when her health made the M07 + M16 combo too tough. Rain Dance was OK stuff as long as you kept it off trim, and far less abrasive than some other CleanerWaxes of that era. Didn`t last too long though...in hindsight topping it with the M16 would`ve been a good, and easy tweak to help with that.
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, I have no idea how old that can is. I do remember my father switching over to Blue Coral.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s another oldie:

Johnson`s Paste Wax-l500-1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Older- When I was a kid, the local funeral home used that on their Cadillacs. Even with the soft black lacquer, those cars looked *great*, even by Autopian standards. Always looked like a whole lotta work though...

And huh, wonder who was making the MOPAR stuff back then?

Thread Information