Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    I’ve seen it recommended that as much as possible you should use products from the same product family as your coating. I can see that with toppers (maybe) like Reload or CQuartz but with things like panel prep and iron remover I’m not so sure (aren’t they all basically the same chemicals).


    so when I apply a coating, what products should I make sure are from the same company?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I’ve seen it recommended that as much as possible you should use products from the same product family as your coating. I can see that with toppers (maybe) like Reload or CQuartz but with things like panel prep and iron remover I’m not so sure (aren’t they all basically the same chemicals).


    so when I apply a coating, what products should I make sure are from the same company?
    I would agree. Decon chemicals, buy whatever you want.

    Coating specific products are case by case. Like carpro reload and gyeon cure are probably interchangeable. Gliss and skin i think it is, would be different. I wouldn`t use carpro gliss on top of gyeon mohs for instance.
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

  3. #3
    acuRAS82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    Agree, anything you use to decon, correct swirls and get the paint to the surgically bare state needs not be within the family. From the time of adding a primer (if doing that) to applying coating to topping/maintaining the coating, within the family is good or else know of some interchangeable combos, because certain things that lay protection down won’t mesh well together when mixing different brands.

    Or you will just find out with trial and error.
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    Long as you know what your doing i feel they’re all interchangeable. I literally just did a car where every step was different.

    Keeping synergy just makes it easy to not make mistakes. Now at some point their may be a difference maker but me personally haven’t found it.

    Even topping my coating i’ve used tons of products and in different layers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

  5. #5
    Ummm.... Ya..... TroyScherer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    I actually disagree on this subject.

    While I do think you can use any clay, tar remover, iron remover you want in your prep I do think there’s something to using the proper prep spray before your coating applications. Having used many different coating prep sprays in different systems I can tell you that some are stronger / more aggressive than others while others are more slick and easy to use.

    To me saying all coating prep sprays are the same is like saying all car wash soaps or wax are the same. Each has their own characteristics and combinations to get the desired or required outcome.

    I have seen many people use their own combo of polishes and things to get the correction they are after. But some polishes are more oily and have fillers in them. This needs to be for sure cleaned out and removed. So if a coating has a prep polish I have started using that as well.


    In my opinion if you are doing a coating your best bet is to use the proper prep in the product line. If you get questionable results from mixing and matching you are kinda on your own.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Cadfael, noorth liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

  6. #6
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,629
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    I dunno if it matters but for the coatings I`ve used, have always tried to use the `family` prep spray and maintenance product. Figr`d it would just remove 1 potential "Well, you didn`t get the most outta it because your prep/follow up was bad".
    Likes Cadfael, The Guz liked this post

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    I’m not as concerned since I’m using a lite coating (CQuartz Lite) but maybe I should — didn’t order anything since I had iron remover and panel wipe already. When (if) I move on to a full coating in a year I’ll make sure to get all the products to go with it.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    How about different areas of the car? I bought Gyeon Rim & Trim for my car but CarPro CQuartz lite for my wife’s car. I’m sure I’ll have left over product. Would I have an issue if I put the Rim & Trim on those parts of her car?

    Figure we’re getting on the angels detailing the head of a pin area but thought I’d ask.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    St. Louis Metro Area (Illinois)
    Posts
    763
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Long as you know what your doing i feel they’re all interchangeable. I literally just did a car where every step was different.
    I agree. I`ve been applying coatings to my cars for 5~6 years now and any alignment between products was accidental because that is what I had on hand. I`ve even used multiple products on the same vehicle. Not once have I ever had a compatibility issue between the prep spray and any of the coatings I`ve used. When I used the original McKee`s 37 Paint Coating they didn`t even sell a prep spray for that brand so I had to use the Blackfire product.

    I`ve used the original Blackfire prep, Eraser or Gyeon Prep and since Eraser is normally cheaper, that is what I keep in my garage. I like it and it works well, so I see no reason to use something else. I won`t argue each prep spray isn`t different, but from what I`ve seen they all get you to the same desired result.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

  10. #10
    Mike The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    3,520
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I’m not as concerned since I’m using a lite coating (CQuartz Lite) but maybe I should — didn’t order anything since I had iron remover and panel wipe already. When (if) I move on to a full coating in a year I’ll make sure to get all the products to go with it.
    Don`t underestimate lite. It is a full coating just less solids than the other carpro coating offerings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    How about different areas of the car? I bought Gyeon Rim & Trim for my car but CarPro CQuartz lite for my wife’s car. I’m sure I’ll have left over product. Would I have an issue if I put the Rim & Trim on those parts of her car?

    Figure we’re getting on the angels detailing the head of a pin area but thought I’d ask.
    Are you asking if you could use left over Gyeon Rim & Trim on another car? If so of course you could.

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I agree. I`ve been applying coatings to my cars for 5~6 years now and any alignment between products was accidental because that is what I had on hand. I`ve even used multiple products on the same vehicle. Not once have I ever had a compatibility issue between the prep spray and any of the coatings I`ve used. When I used the original McKee`s 37 Paint Coating they didn`t even sell a prep spray for that brand so I had to use the Blackfire product.

    I`ve used the original Blackfire prep, Eraser or Gyeon Prep and since Eraser is normally cheaper, that is what I keep in my garage. I like it and it works well, so I see no reason to use something else. I won`t argue each prep spray isn`t different, but from what I`ve seen they all get you to the same desired result.
    Best for newbies to stick with the product family because once something different is introduced they point fingers at the product when it was the one thing that user changed in the process.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    My plan at this point is to use the Gyeon Rim on my car, which I bought it for, and probably on the wife’s. I will use the Power Clean, Mezerna SF 4000 and Ferrous Dueller to prep for the CQuartz lite on her car.

    When it wears off, I’ll order CQUARTZ UK 3 along with all the CarPro stuff to prep and maintain. Of course, a lot can happen in a year and products will change. I might need to order some Ironx etc to maintain the lite.

  12. #12
    Mike The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    3,520
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Coatings: what products have to be ‘in the system’?

    Apply two layer of Rim. It struggles as it approaches a year with one layer. I believe Gyeon states a wait time of 4-6 hours between layers.

    Any iron remover will work on Lite.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wheel Coatings, Glass Coatings Used For Paint?
    By EXPDetailing in forum Autopia-carcare.com
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2016, 01:44 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 04:21 PM
  3. Need help with wax system with products I have
    By ryan19853 in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 10:55 AM
  4. Meg MF system products
    By jw in forum Machine Polishing & Sanding
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 12:05 PM
  5. 30% OFF ALL Sonus Aluminum Polish System Products!
    By Lynn Matthews in forum Autopia-carcare.com
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •