Post Thanks / Like

Valugard ETR for New Car Exterior Trim Preservation

There`s plenty of threads on restoring old exterior trim. I couldn`t find any on preserving trim on a new car.

As I`ll be ordering the ABC from Valugard tomorrow, I was wondering if their ETR would be good to prevent, (actually slow) the deterioration. They`re claiming 3 years of protection.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Valugard ETR for New Car Exterior Trim Preservation

NOT IMO. No point in recoloring (that`s one of its steps) something that doesn`t need recoloring. And IME it`s not at all hard to keep exterior trim from degrading by just providing regular maintenance/protection. Even the "oxidized to pure white" trim on my Tahoe and `93 Audi beaters (which cleaned up OK without needing the UTR treatment) has stayed perfectly black ever since I started taking care of it. Unless you`re parking it outside in AZ 24/7 I can`t imagine it would be a problem for, uhm...an Autopian.

Sure not hating on the ETR kit (which I do have/use as needed), just don`t see it being right for this. Even a mere *spraywax* seems to work fine for me, though when I`m feeling Autopian about it I first apply a base layer of UTTG+ (and a Trim Coating oughta be even better, if you believe you need more).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. Good points. I was overthinking it.

It`ll be an outside car for 99% of it`s life. The trim that`s the issue is the rear lower bumper insert and the splash guards. Those are my issues now on our cars. I`ve been using PERL undiluted. It looks great, but streaks when it rains and leaves a white residue. PERL on the tires doesn`t do that.

I`m tempted to put some FK1000p over the trim.

I may have some UTTG somewhere. If not, I`ll order some DLux.

Post Thanks / Like

ETR is for after it has faded. Many other products do the same thing today. Also many coatings to stop it fading in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Before Hyundai bought and shipped ETR kits to all their dealers for repairing of damaged black trim on several thousand cars, they had a certified test lab conduct testing to assure the repair was at least equal to if they spent a couple thousand per vehicle by replacing the trim, door handles etc. The lab used both new and treated parts for comparison. The part had to last at least 3 years same as new parts. The lab found that the ETR parts easily stood up for three years and the new parts were failing. Hyundai engineers had them continue the tests and treated parts were still holding up at 5 years. The Technical Service Bulletin sent to dealers for how to use may be read at valugard.net in library section.

"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes 65chevy liked this post

Thread Information