Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good lsp for NY/NJ winters

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Thanks again, guys. Good ideas for my wife`s new/leased Crosstrek!

I decided to get PPF and a sealant for my Mazda from Phil @Detailer`s Domain. Quality work for sure.
    Bob M -
    Hope you guys are staying safe and well up there..

I have used Finish Kare 1000P on a few Client`s vehicles and it goes on very easy, comes off very easy, and lasts a long time..

Have also used all the Collenite products in the Pacific Northwest before I learned about Finish Kare from Accumulator, and they also worked very well.
    I believe the Collenite products are a little harder to remove, compared to Finish Kare.

Glad you are going to have Phil Yiu at Detailer`s Domain work on your vehicle ! I have known him/followed him since the early/middle 2000`s...
    Just a great guy, have seen him update his operation and shop at least once, and he is always on the straight up and up..

I would trust him with any of my own vehicles no problem..

Good luck with you new projects ! How nice !!!

Merry Christmas !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I believe the Collenite products are a little harder to remove, compared to Finish Kare.
    Yeah, at least if they`re going on bare paint (as I suspect you do it that way). Putting, say...476S on top of 845 is easy-peasy, almost like Souveran-easy IMO.

We probably oughta remind everybody that Collinite`s 845 Insulator Wax works well on exterior trim too.

Collinite stuff is still good even with all the "modern" alternatives.

Glad you are going to have Phil Yiu at Detailer`s Domain work on your vehicle ! I have known him/followed him since the early/middle 2000`s...
    Just a great guy, have seen him update his operation and shop at least once, and he is always on the straight up and up..

I would trust him with any of my own vehicles no problem..
    Oh yeah...I`m envious of you Autopians who have guys like Phil that you can turn to! I`d let Phil (or Stokdgs for that matter ) do my cars any day.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again All.

Dan I picked up the Mazda yesterday and mentioned your post and comments to Phil. Unfortunately I didn`t have your last name but he was glad you were so satisfied. Accumulator - Phil sure does inspire confidence and a nd nice guy to boot - even answered a dozen of my somewhat newbie questions.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

bob m- That all sounds great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    When I lived in NJ, I used Sonax Polymer Netshield with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer as a maintenance step. It was the best combo I found for the NE Winters.
    Have to agree with this. Had really great results here in the Great White North.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A word of caution regarding paste waxes and application in colder temperatures - I recently did a test of 8 waxes to see how well they held up against multiple hits of Bilt Hamber Autofoam. I expected that most of them would do around 15-30 hits with the Autofoam at 4% or 1/25. The 8 waxes ( one of which was Collinite 915, another was FK1000P, others were durable waxes) were applied to a fully prepped panel (hood) and given a long time on the panel to cure, removed when they swiped clean or, in the case of some after a generous time as they don`t swipe clean.

They all failed after 3 hits! This caused quite the consternation over here. Many think that Bilt Hamber Autofoam (an alkaline snowfoam/TFR) strips LSP`s so I was investigating this. However, what I have since learnt, is that the paste waxes - all of them, didn`t like being applied in the fairly cold (4 deg Celcius) conditions, even given a very long time on the panel before removal.

Separately, I applied one of the waxes to the hood (again prepped fully) side by side, with 2 spray sealants (one being TW SnS) in the same coldish conditions and again it failed after 3 hits whereas the spray sealants shrugged off the Autofoam. I know that this shouldn`t happen so I then run the engine so the hood became warm and repeated the test. Not only did the paste wax apply and remove much more nicely and cured to remove cleanly much quicker, upon testing, it also sailed through 3 hits of Autofoam as it should, and now continues to perform on the car in that test which has now turned into a longer term analysis.

What I`m saying is that if you want to use paste waxes, then if it is cold, it will need a very long time on the panel before it cures properly. What I don`t know is what temperature suits each wax. Also, spray sealants are much more forgiving in this regard, though (as everyone should know) do require a fully clean base to bond with, whereas paste waxes often don`t and are more forgiving in that regard.

Out of those mentioned, I`d opt for Sonax PNS topped with BSD. Easy to apply and maintain plus provides top tier water beading behaviour. However, I do know that these are two products that are disproportinately affected by high and low pH products such as alkaline snowfoams and TFR`s so are best preserved with gentle products.
    Likes Caraman, PoisonTheWell liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

roscopervis- Hey, that`s a good observation that has escaped Yours Truly as I`ve never waxed in cold conditions. Never gave it a thought..but now I know

Oh, FWIW (and regulars here have heard this before..), I hardly *EVER* apply my LSPs on bare paint, can`t recall the last time I did, and I usually just rewax after a regular wash with zero "prep" beforehand. Yet I`m always raving about how durable they are and never noticed any upside to doing all the normal pre-LSPing prep that conventional wisdom would say is mandatory. YMMV and all that...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information