Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Merlins Enchanted Concours Wax

I was fortunate enough for Merlin to reach out and try his wax out b4 it’s launch.

As some of you know, I tend to be a traditionalist and prefer a paste wax for a lot of my details. While coatings are indeed great, I feel they don’t offer the look of a paste wax. Sure the durability of a wax isn’t that of a coating but for those who maintain in proper intervals it’s ok to use a wax. Anyway that is a whole other topic.

First I must say that this wax was given to me to share my honest thoughts with Merlin a while back. I have applied this to 12 vehicles thus far and feel I now have a solid base to share my thoughts with.

This is a hard paste wax.

First thoughts: nice container very similar to the ones Vic’s wax uses. Scent is a candy or cotton candy.

Composition: this is a Nuba based with a graphene infused component. Personally I stopped caring what’s in the wax and worry more about the performance and looks. But the graphene part is cool

Application: Merlin suggest to use a MF applicator. I find this wax to go on fairly easily but is it just a touch grabby. I prefer to use a machine to apply wax. A 3.5 inch pad and the Flex PiXiE work wonders.

Removal: This is a WOWO wax. So remove after each panel of after a half a large panel. Soooo this is where this wax becomes different than most I have used. The removal is actually easier than the application(if done by hand). I prefer a short nap pearl weave towel. Wipe off is a dream and they is zero streaking, dusting or fuss.

Durability. I will say durability is very strong. While I would need to do a side by side with some of the well known heavy hitters, I can say this is better than most “show” waxes out there.

Looks: This is in its own category among waxes I have tried. It is probably the glossiest wax I have used that doesn’t have a plastic look. Depth and glow are very high. It doesn’t darken paints like some other waxes tend to do. I usually find waxes that darken paint don’t last because it is actually oils darkening and not the wax itself. Really gives that few extra percentage of pop on a properly polished vehicle.

While Merlin says this is for darker vehicles, I find it to really work great on lighter colors like white, silvers and champagne.

Performance: It has really nice beading and self cleaning properties that really hold on for about 2 months. Performance diminishes after that but it still is there. If you wash regularly and use a topper, this may go on much much longer. I am reporting with minimal washes and zero toppers.

Some final thoughts: It seems to me that the gloss picks up a bit after the first hour of so of application. Perhaps this is a bonding property of the wax/graphene.
    I have done 12 vehicles with a jar, double coating about half and still have 3/4 of the jar remaining.

I have a vast collection of waxes from over the counter to high priced collectors waxes. This is definitely in my top 8 if not higher. The look is truly unique with a high gloss that has depth. Price point is a value in my eyes especially since a little goes so far.

Would I personally purchase this wax: of course I would but I am a wax hoarder. If I wasn’t a wax hoarder, I would absolutely purchase this as it checks many boxes off for a great quality wax with a good price per use.

Thanks for reading
    Jim
    Likes William_Wallace, Tc99m liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, bobfic, acuRAS82, Tc99m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Merlins Enchanted Concours Wax

Thank you for this review. I too am still a wax user. How would you compare this wax to Souveran in terms of looks?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up!

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Oldz:
    Four questions:
    1) What is the manufacturer and name of the "short nap pearl weave towel" that you used for wipe-off removal?
    2) What is manufacturer and trade name of the 3.5" pad (I assume it was foam) used with the Flex PIXIE buffer for application?
    3) Even though you did say it looks good on light-colored vehicles, does the vehicle manufacturer`s OEM paint play any part in how this wax looks on said vehicles? Some OEM paints have a lot of orange peel in them that tends to diminish the reflectivity WOW factor. Or do you remove or mitigate the orange peel as much as possible in the vehicles that you correct (compound and polish or even wet-sand) during your detailing process?
    4) Is a panel prep wipe down required with this wax after correcting and polishing, or is something you do any way before any wax that you apply and what do you use for a panel prep wipe if you do so?
    (Oh ya, you are THAT Captain Obvious, the man with a thousand questions!)

While there are no pics of this wax on any or some of vehicles that you have done, your well-written textual description is sufficient for me.
    That and your extensive wax experiences speaks volumes on what a wax should look like and do for a vehicle. I look forward to seeing additional posts from you in this thread about the longevity/durability aspects of this wax, a characteristic that seems to a major concern for many Autopians. Thanks again for your insightful post!

I suppose we (I) could reach out to Merlin to ask him what specific (manufacturer and type of and/or size) microfiber applicator and microfiber towel he recommends and uses for the hand application and removal of Merlin`s Enchanted Wax.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Dr. Oldz:
    Four questions:
    1) What is the manufacturer and name of the "short nap pearl weave towel" that you used for wipe-off removal?
    2) What is manufacturer and trade name of the 3.5" pad (I assume it was foam) used with the Flex PIXIE buffer for application?
    3) Even though you did say it looks good on light-colored vehicles, does the vehicle manufacturer`s OEM paint play any part in how this wax looks on said vehicles? Some OEM paints have a lot of orange peel in them that tends to diminish the reflectivity WOW factor. Or do you remove or mitigate the orange peel as much as possible in the vehicles that you correct (compound and polish or even wet-sand) during your detailing process?
    4) Is a panel prep wipe down required with this wax after correcting and polishing, or is something you do any way before any wax that you apply and what do you use for a panel prep wipe if you do so?
    (Oh ya, you are THAT Captain Obvious, the man with a thousand questions!)

While there are no pics of this wax on any or some of vehicles that you have done, your well-written textual description is sufficient for me.
    That and your extensive wax experiences speaks volumes on what a wax should look like and do for a vehicle. I look forward to seeing additional posts from you in this thread about the longevity/durability aspects of this wax, a characteristic that seems to a major concern for many Autopians. Thanks again for your insightful post!

I suppose we (I) could reach out to Merlin to ask him what specific (manufacturer and type of and/or size) microfiber applicator and microfiber towel he recommends and uses for the hand application and removal of Merlin`s Enchanted Wax.
    1) rag company. The cobra Edgeless ones work nice also. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/crim...l#.X70nui08Kf0

2) Lake Country Force Hybrid

3) Of course orange peel and other paint conditions will have an effect. I don’t go sanding factory clears tho as they are thin enough. Those paint imperfections will have an effect on ant type of protection, not just this wax. So I’m not sure where you are going with this question but hopefully I answered it.

4) Not sure if it’s required but a quick trip around the vehicle with Carpro Eraser is my method!

pics on these forums is a PITA sometimes. I just don’t bother nor do I have the patience. I suppose Imshould give Tapatalk a shot tho.

hope that lol helps.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So how does the look compare to Souveran?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim! Your review is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    So how does the look compare to Souveran?
    This is glossier and has more of a 3D look to it. It wont darken the paint like Souveran. Souveran does give a bit more depth thru the darkening effect.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Coolness. Thanks for the review, Doc
    Likes bobfic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dr Oldz, is this stuff being marketed yet? Has Merlin targeted a ball-park price point yet? Great review by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

E-Jag:
    This is what I posted in another thread about Merlin`s Wax (Yes, it is for sale through him. No, I am not compensated nor is this a "paid" endorsement of his Wax, although I love the fact he has made this unique wax available to us Autopians!!)
    For those "interested" in seeing this wax on a vehicle, please see the linked thread on Merlin`s Concour`s Wax used on a black 2002 Bentley Arnage:
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/click...ml#post2176533
    Yes, it is Merlin`s own proprietary "formulation" wax blend.
    Sorry, no link to the company due to forum rules, so if you Google search Merlin`s Enchanted Concours Wax you will find it. It is "separate" from his detailing business, A Miracle Detailing. He does having pricing info on his website.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Wax is not dead
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    This is definitely in my top 8 if not higher.
    What are your top 8...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pologuy View Post
    What are your top 8...?
    Unless it`s a secret...
    Thanks William_Wallace thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

8 of the Zymol Solaris formulations I came up with. Lol

Now back to the topic of the thread.